Measurable difference in cardio before eating in the morning?

frettish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always read that it's "better" to do cardio in the morning before you eat breakfast.

How much of an impact will this have on fat loss?

For instance, two (identical) people eat the same thing and do the same intensity and length of cardio. One does it before breakfast, one does it between lunch and dinner.

The lunch/dinner guy loses 20 lbs in 60 days with this routine.

How much more weight would you think the before breakfast guy lost? 1-3 lbs? 4-7lbs? 8-10lbs... or even more?

Just curious what kind of difference this would make over that sort of time frame. Thanks.

runnin on an empty stomach forces ur body 2 use reserve energy stores instead of energy from food, so u would lose more weight than if u run on a full stomach.

there is also a school of thought that belives the workout should be less intense or slow paced because in this starved state your are most likly to burn muscle as well.

Thanks, any more detailed info on the subject would be appreciated.

not a good idea you should at least have a handfull of cereal. After a couple of hours of fasting at through the night your body goes into a catabolic state and starts to actually deteriorate muscle fiber. The word BREAK-Fast is doing excactly that.

One measureable difference is that I drag ass if I try to do cardio before breakfast. It seems loads easier if I do it before lunch, a few hour after dinner...pretty much anytime during the day except before breakfast.

If you do it enough will your body start to recognize that it needs to start burning that fat quicker, or is energy from fat always a slower process than from carbs floating around.

I do cardio in the am, after a cup of coffee and a hardboiled egg. I have less energy than if I ate, but I don't feel sick, which happens if I do it empty. I have lost 8lbs in the last week doing this, along with a severe diet of no carbs lots of veggies & meat, some fruit, no eating after 7, and kickboxing till I puke 5 days a week.

There's another school of thought that believes that eating protein before morning cardio has it benefits. They believe you should have amino acids pumping through your blood. No carbs, though. So that would mean just some whey protein as it gets in the bloodstream quick.

i go longer if i dont eat first but i also feel like shit if i work really hard on an empty stomach and i have trouble eating right after any workout..

so i just stuff myself in the afternoon and night and in the morning i can still feel food being digested in my small intestines. pretty wierd huh

Back