Me doing different techniques on the heavy bag

Okay, so I took your guys' advice and worked on rotating my hips more on my kicks. I made another video and I think I have improved on turning my hips more. I still need to relax my shoulders, sit down on my punches, and throw more combos/move to techniques more fluid, and use head movement coming back out.

Here's the video (I was working on improving my kicks mostly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Improvement! Nice work!....... You set your feet better and on that right kick, your starting to get your hips turned over. Still, not getting them over enough though, but much improved. When your kicking the bag, try aiming the kick at the opposite side of the bag from where your shin is landing. I.E: for that right kick, throw the kick like your trying to make contact with the left side of the bag, that should get you a little more in the habit of really turning through the kick. Basically you want your right shoulder and point of your right hip pointing across the opposite side of the bag from where your shin makes contact on your rear leg kick, vice versa for the lead leg kick.... \ (right kick) or / (left kick)...... you got to relax those shoulders and get your upper body over top your hips. See pics below, not on a bag, but ya get the idea.... hips and shoulders are through the target when the shin hits.(first pic im holding, second pic kicking, third pic getting kicked...... that one fucking hurt too....)

Punches look much better, still slapping with that left hook a bit and pushing your cross. Again, the punch has to start from the ground up, push/pivot from the foot, turn the hips, torque the core, rotate the shoulders, then let the hand fly! Your left and right body hooks you threw, those where thrown very well!

c3.jpg

QT-0220-c5dd6138-126bf9e8-00071.png

333.jpg

Thank you ssullivan80 for the tips and the time/effort put into your posts!

Your kicks above the waist looked pretty good. The leg kicks still look kind of chambered and snappy. I thought that was the kick most people were saying needed more hip rotation. Those body hooks looked nice though.

When you throw your teeps at the bag try to focus on makin the bag NOT spin. It really helps your balance when you can throw a teep and not spin the bag.

Okay, so I took your guys' advice and worked on rotating my hips more on my kicks. I made another video and I think I have improved on turning my hips more. I still need to relax my shoulders, sit down on my punches, and throw more combos/move to techniques more fluid, and use head movement coming back out.

Here's the video (I was working on improving my kicks mostly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Good fuckin job man!! Who says you can't learn from the internet!

There's a couple different methods of thai kicks that I use, so to make sure we're on the same page...are you trying to develop more of a bent leg thai kick that is closer range with forward drive or a longer range "straight" legged thai kick that comes in with a 45 degree vector?

But from what I can tell, you're doing waaaay better. Good intent with the kicks, solid shin making contact, more hip than what was previously shown. Is there anyway to pan out a bit so we can see your planted foot? That would help too.

As Sully said, dig that left hook in, make it a "tight C" instead of a "lazy L". Try to get more rotation into the kicks...pivot on that planted foot, rotate the hip and shoulders, and let the kick fly. Don't think "power" think "technique" and then power will come.

To be honest it really shouldn't take too much effort from you if you do it right. It will literally FEEL like you didn't do as much and the result will be greater than when your mechanics weren't as good but you were putting more effort in.

Take a look at this crazy fool....maybe it will help you:

I'll never understand why people come to online forums to post videos of themselves and asking for advice from random people. The only advice you should be getting is from your trainer and people training with you as they can physically illustrate and point out the errors you're making instead of trying to explain to you via words on the internet.

Here is a couple things i would encourage you work on.

1. I like the high guard, but you need to relax those shoulders....keeps your movements from getting robotic. Think sway, slide, roll vs. darting back n forth, keep your hips relaxed and use some bend in the leg to generate that upper-body movement, it will keep you from forcing the movment, it becomes more natural and less predictable.

i'm glad somebody finally mentioned this because this is the first thing i noticed. his upper body is way too stiff. relax!

You need to put some targets on that bag so your aiming for something when you strike, so you also work on accuracy.

Work upper cuts into your combos, especially while your "inside".

Throw leg kicks at the end of combos as well.

Practice feinting.

Visualize your opponent striking you. Block, roll, bob, feint, weave, etc... and come off of them with a counter attack.

Use your shoulders more to bury your chin when you are entering and exiting.

When you are working in follow through, example...

(Entering/Closing Distance)
1) Jab, Straight, Liver punch, right upper cut

(Clinch)
1) Disrupt Balance (jerk left/ right or bump/pull in)
2) Knee, Knee,
3) Disrupt Balance

Then when exiting, exit strong, don't just back off, example...

(Exiting)
1) Disrupt balance
2) Elbow, Liver Punch, Straight, Lead Hook, cut kick
3) Feint
4) Body Kick/thip

Redo

Just some quick pointers. You look like you got potential, but you need to have a purpose or goal every time you put those gloves on. (Today, i'm going to work on entering/working in, etc...)

Good Luck,
- Rene

You look like you got potential, but you need to have a purpose or goal every time you put those gloves on. (Today, i'm going to work on entering/working in, etc...)

Good Luck,
- Rene

Excellent point! and often something that new striker's do not do!

If your going to go out and hit the heavy bag, as mentioned, it will be a much more productive training session if you isolate just a few things (ideally, just 1 thing) to work on. Vs. just going outside and beating on the bag, good for overall conditioning and it does have it's purpose. But I do believe that if you go out and work on 1 specific element of your game repetitively for a length of time you will develop at a quicker pace. Be it a specific combo, movement, transition or otherwise, by working on 1 thing repetitively it will commit itself to muscle memory much quicker. I remember when i first started boxing, my coach had me throw nothing but jabs for the better part of 2 months........ I actually had 1 shoulder that was noticeably larger than the other..... but i did learn how to throw a good jab, and still to this day I start my heavy bag routine with 1-2 rounds of just throwing my jab.

Back