Me doing different techniques on the heavy bag

fedorheartsyou

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been training on and off for a while now. My coach always gets on me about coming more often, but it's hard to find time when you're a full time college student, have a part time job and a girlfriend. I only go about once a month...or less :mad:

Anyway, here is a pretty short video of my hitting my bag in a tiny shed. Advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Better than most videos posted on here. One thing i notice is that it seems like you slap your hook a little bit, also i cant see your feet but from looking at your knee it doesn't look like you are pivoting on your hooks. You also don't swing your arms when you kick, but thats preference really, what do you train in?

Better than most videos posted on here. One thing i notice is that it seems like you slap your hook a little bit, also i cant see your feet but from looking at your knee it doesn't look like you are pivoting on your hooks. You also don't swing your arms when you kick, but thats preference really, what do you train in?

Thanks, I have a bad habit of whipping my arm on some hooks. I started out training in Tang Soo Do when I was a kid, got my black belt and was bored with the point fighting style. Started doing sambo when I was in high school, picked up kickboxing during that time too. Now I do BJJ under a Robson Moura brown belt, and boxing/kickboxing under an ex-proffesional boxer.

There's more to punching than just aiming your jabs and crosses at the head. Mix it up a bit. Come in close and work the body a bit, then throw an overhand right, circle around. Jab to the head, then jab to the body, then throw a right to the body then another right to the head. Gotta keep your opponent guessing, even if your opponent is a heavy bag.

Mix it up....
Jab - cross
Cross - left hook

Those are the only two combo's you're throwing.
Also, you only threw 1 knee and 1 kick at a time.
Use combo's son!!

Also, pivot your hips more when you kick.

only thing i can credit you on is not being a liar
cuz i can def tell you werent lying when you said you only trained once a month

keyboard warrior.. :rolleyes:

to the ts: i am not a expert coach. But its not that bad. maybe a bit stiff and ruff. But you will get more flow with time. How long have you been training?

dont be afraid to dry different stuff. :)

What someone else said rings true- you need to swivel your hips more. You have some hip rotation, but not enough for big power. When you throw that hook, turn out your lead foot like you're putting out a cigarette (that's what my boxing coach always tells me). With the cross, again- you need to pivot more on that foot, and sit down on it. Your kicks also could use some more swivel.

I'd also like to see you incorporate some more slips & body shots into your combos; more often than not, if you're throwing a combo, it'll be against return fire, so you should work evasive maneuvering into your salvos.

Good hand speed though. Sit down on your hook/ cross, and really swivel those hips. Keep up the good work.

is it just me, or is the feed back on videos like this getting better on this board. Nice to see that. :)

Thanks for the advice?..

But to other posters thanks. I appreciate the feed back.

Get some 180" Mexican style handwraps, and wear them "every" time you train. Good hand speed, and you bring your hands back into chamber and keep them nice and high. Add some more punch combos, and a fuller arm extension on the long range jab. Due to the confined area, it is pretty difficult to fully critique your hip rotation and technique on kicks, and movement / footwork. Looks pretty decent, however, kicks may need work, as I said, the cramped area makes it too difficult to tell. Good luck with your training!

:icon_chee

Good hand speed, and you bring your hands back into chamber and keep them nice and high. Add some more punch combos, and a fuller arm extension on the long range jab. Due to the confined area, it is pretty difficult to fully critique your hip rotation and technique on kicks, and movement / footwork. Looks pretty decent, however, kicks may need work, as I said, the cramped area makes it too difficult to tell. Good luck with your training!

:icon_chee

Pretty much what I was going to say. I liked the kind of crispness you had...and while video isn't an empirically complete way to evaluate someone, what I can infer from it is that you are not punching or kicking with your full power potential.

On your power shots, you need body torque. More hip on the kicks and punches. Put your body behind the hooks, drive your hip forward on the round kicks and knees. Ya know?

Get a long banana bag too--you'll enjoy it more I think.

Good training to you!

Last edited:
How heavy is the bag? It looks somewhat light so you couldn't really wail on it.

Also, maybe this is just personal preference, but when you push the bag away hit it on the way back in so the bag stops in place. That's how i practice my teeps & power shots so i can feel my technique is solid.

You look like every other guy that does Muay Thai. Keep training, don't ask random people on the Internet for advice.

Fairly good speed on the punches. Kind of hard to give advice without visually showing you the appropriate movements. I would recommend throwing the jabs and crosses out a bit more. To do that, try to extend your arms out a bit further, especially on the cross. Also, turn your body with each punch by pivoting a bit more.

As far as your kicks go, I would recommend using your hips by throwing them out more as well. Step a bit out with one leg before throwing the other one out for a kick. All the kicking secrets (power, speed, balance) come from hip movements. Other than that, your movement is fairly good. Keep it up ! :)

You look like every other guy that does Muay Thai. Keep training, don't ask random people on the Internet for advice.

his kicks don't like this yet so no, not like every guy that does Muay Thai

TS, this is what people are talking about in terms of turning your hip and "stepping out".

great little vid. just my 2 cents would be for you to get a good solid stance and work from there. tip for you is, if the bag spins when your punching it that means your mis-queing your hits. good luck

your off to a good start. quick hands and i like your jab, work on doubling it up! low high, high low. I wont give much criticism on the kicks.... to be honest, they need a little work..... you got to get your weight transfered onto the post leg and your shoulders over top your hips when you throw those kicks. Your kicking by pulling yoru weight back, not getting your weight into/through the target. Gotta get the hips and the shoulders through the target first, then the shin makes contact. If your shin is getting out in front of your shoulder/hips, your losing all the power and standing dead center in front of your opponent on 1 foot, unbalanced and wide open to eating a counter punch.

Here is a couple things i would encourage you work on.

1. I like the high guard, but you need to relax those shoulders....keeps your movements from getting robotic. Think sway, slide, roll vs. darting back n forth, keep your hips relaxed and use some bend in the leg to generate that upper-body movement, it will keep you from forcing the movment, it becomes more natural and less predictable.

2. When you come in for a combo, set your feet, drop your weight and get your shoulders and hips turning over into your shots...... vs. hopping around. you got good natural speed, slow down your punches and keep your posture controlled and balanced.

3. Hit to the bag not through the bag (pop not thud for your punches). Throw every punch with the idea that if you missed or that bag were not there to catch your shot, you would still be able to throw the next punch without skipping a beat or losing your balance. Your getting off balance mid combo and you can see when your hopping back out, your feet cross up and you struggle to regain your balance, you almost fall back out of the combo and use a big hop to regain control...... It is crucial to maintain good defensive posture and balance after finishing a combo, because that is when your going to be getting hit back most often.

4. Head movement, again I like that your using head movement and keepin a good high guard. However, you use that head movement on your way into the combo, but then you hop back out with no head movement and your chin straight up in the air. Work more on using that head movement on your way out. No need to jump way back, just far enough back that your just past the end of your reach. Shorten up that footwork, more sliding less bouncing/hopping, relax and keep moving, changing directions, you got quick feet but it doesn't need to be so erratic, stay controlled and in the pocket (not so far out when going back) and that will give you opportunity to use those quick feet when you see an oppening... ya get to far back or outside, you will miss those opportunities.

Good drills

- step in with your jab, then add in a couple of head movements before you throw the 2,3 and a couple more before you step back out.

- work on throwing multiples off your lead hand, before letting your right go. 1,1,3,2. This will help you develop the hip and shoulder turn, and help you start circling vs. straight in out. Any time you double or triple up off the lead you will naturally start to circle to the left. Which means your coming in-out at different angles, vs straight in-out.

- Start shadowboxing more, it will help you develop that punch control. I suggest starting by shadowboxing at half speed, forces you to concentrate on technique and your overall balance will improve. You got natural speed, it will be there regardless. Get the technique down and then start speeding it up.

Last edited:
Okay, so I took your guys' advice and worked on rotating my hips more on my kicks. I made another video and I think I have improved on turning my hips more. I still need to relax my shoulders, sit down on my punches, and throw more combos/move to techniques more fluid, and use head movement coming back out.

Here's the video (I was working on improving my kicks mostly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Last edited:
Back