Mayweather - BET Iron Ring

All you need to see is the opening scene where Crazy Horse is bragging about not training.. yet he's being brought in as a TRAINER

supposedly(i havent watched it), there are a bunch of ignorant blinged out rappers betting on the outcome of fights and perpetuating the same old stereotypes that alot of people have of them. so why would BET put on a show like this? that was my only point. why not try to make it look legit? maybe they don't belive that their audience would be intrested in a different type of format. i get it, its sleazy reality tv, and its only purpose is to make money but its still embarrasing.

Actually, the whole thing about betting was a joke, just as the perpetuation of stereotypes is a play on themselves, like when Lil' John said to a Fighter "I'm the King of Crunk, whatchoo the King of?" And the Fighter responded "I'm the King of whoopin' a somebody ass." Anyone who knows anything about Lil' John knows he's actually intelligent, articulate, and quite the businessman.

And more to the notion of stereotypes, no one has really gotten out of line on the show save for one guy, who wasn't black and wasn't of the Hip Hop culture. He was quite the opposite, and put on quite the scene because he felt he didn't get picked fairly.

Like I said, TUF is actually worse than Iron Ring thus far. None of these guys have yet to throw a fit because they got injured and cursed out as well as did some damage to property in a Doctor's Office.

It's no different, just if you don't like Hip Hop then it's not for you. It's hilarious how many people can't tell when someone ghetto is joking or not, all the way up even to the Mayweather Family.

Like I said, TUF is actually worse than Iron Ring thus far. None of these guys have yet to throw a fit because they got injured and cursed out as well as did some damage to property in a Doctor's Office.

It's no different, just if you don't like Hip Hop then it's not for you. It's hilarious how many people can't tell when someone ghetto is joking or not, all the way up even to the Mayweather Family.

Good post. I haven't seen Iron Ring yet, but I can't believe how anybody who considers themselves an adult can stand TUF. I've seen only one season where they have Penn and Pulver. And it irritates me to watch Dana White try to act like a badass and everybody suck his dick.

Good post. I haven't seen Iron Ring yet, but I can't believe how anybody who considers themselves an adult can stand TUF. I've seen only one season where they have Penn and Pulver. And it irritates me to watch Dana White try to act like a badass and everybody suck his dick.

am i the only one who notices this ish, i hear fighters bashing all the fans cus we don't fight and we can't tell them about tech or heart; an then they let dana call them out on their poor tech or lack of heart and kiss his ass. Or act intimidated cus middle aged failed boxer gets in their face, its a freaking joke to me; but whatever.

secondly-the hip hop stars are being used to drive and bring in fans, like having a music star guest star in a movie; just to bring in fans to the movie, hoping they will enjoy the film.. its the same thing w/the show, u use big names to bring in casual fans; an fights to maintain the interest/develop the fanbase.

i like this show, its shot the way its shot to give it a grimy/hip hop/street feel; its not made to be clean or corporate vibe, its made to dev a vibe and a feel close to the streets.. As said earlier if u don't like hip hop or can't relate to the backgrounds of people coming from that, then yeah you gonna hate it; but alot of people i know love the show, an the comments of the rappers in mma are the same that they make when watching boxing. And trust me, minority fighters and some white fighters would love to be able to be linked w/big name high profile hip hop stars; it opens up sponsorship opp for them and their teams/trainers

i enjoy getting to see the training the guys go through, i enjoy getting the diff instructors perspectives on who and why they pick people; is it the best show, prob not.. But its no worse than tuf, where u got a bunch of white guys saying crazy ish, wearing their hats side ways, getting wasted and wrecking houses...

its really beginning to seem like this is a race issue, has any one of the coaches or show producers said someone was a p*ssy, AFTER THEY LEFT THE SHOW; has anyone peed on anyone, or called someone a quitter or a fatherless bastard, i didn't think so.

Well from what i've seen the fights look pretty brutal , I saw a few vicious knock outs and even though 90% of these guys have no technique whatsoever it could be entertaining to see some all out ghetto fighting, especially since people from the ghetto are always saying their the hardest and rawest of fighters or anything.....

I was thinking that if Floyd just taught his team the most basic boxing stance and how to throw a stiff,accurate jab....than his team can win easily.

Well from what i've seen the fights look pretty brutal , I saw a few vicious knock outs and even though 90% of these guys have no technique whatsoever it could be entertaining to see some all out ghetto fighting, especially since people from the ghetto are always saying their the hardest and rawest of fighters or anything.....

I was thinking that if Floyd just taught his team the most basic boxing stance and how to throw a stiff,accurate jab....than his team can win easily.

Yeah same. HAHA. The fighters looked pretty brutal. But again same with the TUF guys. lol.

Boxing and MMA are two different sports. You jab in mma, you dont get countered with a punch, you get countered with a shoot and take down. I dont think Floyd can really show these guys anything that would be effective in this sport. It's like a football player trying to teach a hockey player something imo.

not sure how you can say tuf is worse than iron ring. to be honest i havent seen enough of both (no one has); but what the fuck is with the trainers? seriously, that ruins anything iron ring had on tuf. at least get someone legit. i got nothing wrong with owner aspect. but lack of training trumps any frat image tuf puts out

Boxing and MMA are two different sports. You jab in mma, you dont get countered with a punch, you get countered with a shoot and take down. I dont think Floyd can really show these guys anything that would be effective in this sport. It's like a football player trying to teach a hockey player something imo.

I think a jab can be effective in MMA. There are some things that dont work in MMA that work in boxing whereas their are some things that work in MMA that doesnt work in boxing.

If Mayweather is a good coach at all he can teach these street thugs how to throw a proper punch. And being able to throw a punch quickly with power, accuracy and speed will go a LONG way in my opinion.

And more to the notion of stereotypes, no one has really gotten out of line on the show save for one guy, who wasn't black and wasn't of the Hip Hop culture. He was quite the opposite, and put on quite the scene because he felt he didn't get picked fairly.

That fighter (Alex Aquino) actually hasn't acquitted himself well outside of the TV show so I'm not sure how much of that was an act.

During a fight he stuck out his hand at the beginning of a round for a fist tap and then when his opponent reached out Aquino attempted a high kick while he was exposed.

The show must also have been filmed a while ago as Aquino was going on about being undefeated and Dante Rivera beat him back in June, and so did Lyman Good like a week ago on HDNet.

I found the show to be alternately good and unwatchable, the rappers with their over the top personas I could do without but I think on the whole they've presented the sport with a fair degree of reverence and respect.

I do wish they had focused on finding up and coming prospects rather than journeymen like Wes Sims, Joe Camacho, and Doug Gordon however.

not sure how you can say tuf is worse than iron ring. to be honest i havent seen enough of both (no one has); but what the fuck is with the trainers? seriously, that ruins anything iron ring had on tuf. at least get someone legit. i got nothing wrong with owner aspect. but lack of training trumps any frat image tuf puts out

From the looks of things so far I imagine that the coaches, rappers, and any purported training are just window dressing. The guys they've picked so far have plenty of MMA experience and I doubt there's much a guy like Wes Sims will pick up in a couple weeks that he hasn't already from years of working at the Hammer House.

are you serious? Is this why so many top tier MMA guys employ great boxers and boxing trainers to help them? God get serious man.

A good punching game will get you so far in MMA. The sports maybe different, but the techniques aren't, and almost all the techniques in boxing have carryover into MMA.

I think a jab can be effective in MMA. There are some things that dont work in MMA that work in boxing whereas their are some things that work in MMA that doesnt work in boxing.

If Mayweather is a good coach at all he can teach these street thugs how to throw a proper punch. And being able to throw a punch quickly with power, accuracy and speed will go a LONG way in my opinion.

All I know is that the jab is the easiest punch to counter. Why jab and risk yourself, when you can leg kick?

MMA guys are more succesful throwing haymakers than using classic boxing techniques. They go big and if it misses, they are ussually in good position to clinch up. I don't think Mayweather can offer anything as far as punches go. I think he can help with conditioning though. He's about as good as it gets in that department.

are you serious? Is this why so many top tier MMA guys employ great boxers and boxing trainers to help them? God get serious man.

A good punching game will get you so far in MMA. The sports maybe different, but the techniques aren't, and almost all the techniques in boxing have carryover into MMA.
Nah, they really don't. If you use classic boxing skills against a wrestler, you will be on your back in no time at all. The reason = classic boxing skills keep you in his shoot range for too long. Now, if your so good on the ground that everybody would rather stay on their feet with you, like Diego Sanchez who trained with Francisco Bojado, then boxing skills would serve you well. But that fear has to be in place.

I'm gettin the idea that this show's primary purpose would be to expose MMA a little more the african american/Hip hop culture.
As the MMA audience is primarily white teens/young adults in suburbia.

Gayweathers a punk,everytime I hear him open his big mouth I hit the mute button!I'd love to see Sherk or BJ or Faber beat him like their his dad!

T.I and D.J Drama's group of guys we're indeed betting on who they thought would leave in an ambulance first.
Funny thing is, none of these rappers know shit about MMA at all.
T.I was talkin some dumb shit about how if you goto the head the body will die, and then after this one cat chokes another guy out he goes "I told you", "That was my special move back in the day"
Give me a break
"I made that move popular" he says
This show is a joke imo,

T.I. is hard shit, that's why he, and basically all rappers, have the need to have a shitload of guns. By God they ever uses their hands.

I'd love to soccer kick that scrawny, talentless scumbag in his face.

Nah, they really don't. If you use classic boxing skills against a wrestler, you will be on your back in no time at all. The reason = classic boxing skills keep you in his shoot range for too long. Now, if your so good on the ground that everybody would rather stay on their feet with you, like Diego Sanchez who trained with Francisco Bojado, then boxing skills would serve you well. But that fear has to be in place.

Ive seen jabs used very effectively. Couture used a few jabs against Gonzaga, GSP, Koscheck, Arlovski, Sherk.

A leg kick is great but you'd end up on your back more frequently attempting to kick than attempting a jab.

I think a jab is underutilized because MMA fighters dont use it with purpose. They flick it out there without much intensity. You have to throw it like you mean it.

Again, as someone mentioned, many of the best MMA fighters have focused extensively in boxing for a reason. You can argue Couture wouldnt be where hes at if not for his boxing ability.

Is this why so many top tier MMA guys employ great boxers and boxing trainers to help them?

Er, not really. There's not that many good Boxing coaches in MMA. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 off the top of my head, and there's a lot of schools in Vegas. A lot of the guys who teach MMA guys how to Box are guys that didn't make a good living teaching Boxers how to Box.

Gayweathers a punk,everytime I hear him open his big mouth I hit the mute button!I'd love to see Sherk or BJ or Faber beat him like their his dad!

Yeah, your account here won't be necessary anymore.

MMA guys are more succesful throwing haymakers than using classic boxing techniques. They go big and if it misses, they are ussually in good position to clinch up. I don't think Mayweather can offer anything as far as punches go. I think he can help with conditioning though. He's about as good as it gets in that department.

I think you drastically underestimate Floyd's understanding of the Fight game. Remember he's the guy who beat Hatton on the inside when no one said he'd be able to handle Hatton on the inside. He landed better, and tied Ricky up better than the converse. Dirty boxing is a valuable tool in MMA nowadays, and Floyd's > Hatton's.

So let me get this straight, as an MMA Artist who crosstrains, meaning you're prepared to deal with takedowns, going outside the scope of very standard Boxing techniques is a no-no because you might get taken down? lol Then what's the point of learning to defend takedowns?

BTW, Diego Sanchez's skills with his hands are atrocious when he's afraid of the same thing. His fight with Koscheck was absolutely terrible and training with Bojado and DLH's trainer didn't do shit for him, and he SHOULD have wanted that fight on the ground so getting close to Josh should have been optimal.

Techniques carrying over and all that jive specifically depend on the Fighter. When Din Thomas and Yves Edwards were at their Prime they both employed slippery and unorthodox Boxing techniques, because they could defend takedowns and grapple well.

If you sit in the pocket throwing a 3-4 punch combo, your risking a shoot getting ahead of you. Distance is very important when it comes to stuffing shots.

Mayweather is a good inside boxer, but how much of that is dependent on his speed and how much is because of skill? He can stay in a spot longer than your average fighter, so he gets away with doing things that would be dangerous to slower fighters. That said, every decent mma gym in the country teaches good inside clinch fighting techniques. From my experience training with American Top Team affiliate Titan Martial Arts, the front leg kick replaces the jab completely and most stand up techniques are derived from muay thai.

Back