Movies Mayberry Movie Club: Week 13 Nominations (Halloween Edition)

What should we watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Each week club members will vote on a film to watch. Then the following week we'll discuss it. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussions. If you want to become a member then let me know.

Members: @Cubo de Sangre @Dirt Road Soldier @MusterX @sickc0d3r @Tufts @Zer @newjerseynick

Honorary tags: @chickenluver @JayPettryMMA @europe1 @the muntjac @HenryFlower

• Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • If you don't want to watch the current film you can watch a previous film that you missed and after commenting on it you can submit a new nomination.
  • If you miss 3 consecutive weeks your votes won't count until you start contributing again
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • You must cast your allotted number of votes
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
  • The first Sunday of each month will be a theme week. We'll go in order of the tag list to decide who gets to choose the theme

Now for the nominees. Members are allowed three votes each in hopes that it produces a clear favorite. Keep in mind the format here is open for feedback and future change.

FOUND (2012)

"A horror-obsessed boy discovers his older brother is a serial killer."

51injI2wLBL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Cubo de Sangre thinks we should watch it: Watched this movie on a whim and it really stuck with me. An unusual storyline and horror that stems more from the drama than from a sense of fright.

STITCHES (2012)

"A clown comes back from the dead to haunt those who took his life during a fatal party mishap."

91PELxeHx9L._SY445_.jpg

Why @Dirt Road Soldier thinks we should watch it: Its horror. As for what kind of horror.... you'll see.

DEMON (2015)

"A bridegroom is possessed by an unquiet spirit in the midst of his own wedding celebration, in this clever take on the Jewish legend of the dybbuk."

iu

Why @MusterX thinks we should watch it: I find it interesting that dybbuk boxes are sold on the deep web pretty often and YouTubers open them and make videos about it. I don't know who's capturing all these evil spirits Ghostbuster's style in a box sealed by wax, but yea, that's a thing.

ANGEL HEART (1987)

"A private investigator is hired by a man who calls himself Louis Cyphre to track down a singer named Johnny Favorite. But the investigation takes an unexpected and somber turn."

iu

Why @sickc0d3r thinks we should watch it: I doubt anyone hasn’t seen this one, but anyone who hasn’t, needs to. Prime Mickey Rourke meets DeNiro in a black magic soaked mystery, set in sticky-hot ‘Nawlins. Throw in Lisa Bonet with the sexy dial turned up to 11, it just doesn’t get any better.

FEAR STREET: PART ONE - 1994 (2021)

"A circle of teenage friends accidentally encounter the ancient evil responsible for a series of brutal murders that have plagued their town for over 300 years. Welcome to Shadyside."

fear-street-part-one-1994-poster.jpg

Why @Tufts thinks we should watch it: I have not seen this. It is the first part of a trilogy that my favourite blogger, and horror film fan extraordinaire describes as: A funny, nostalgic, and very bloody tribute to the slasher genre, which manage to veer expertly between silly and relevant.

SCANNERS (1981)

"A scientist trains a man with an advanced telepathic ability called "scanning", to stop a dangerous Scanner with extraordinary psychic powers from waging war against non scanners."

iu

Why @Zer thinks we should watch it: I'm a big fan of Cronenberg and body horror in general but I haven't seen Scanners except in some pretty gory gifs. Plus you got a young Michael Ironside as a villain with horrifically powerful psychic abilities.

MANIAC (2012)

"As he helps a young artist with her upcoming exhibition, the owner of a mannequin shop's deadly, suppressed desires come to the surface."

917F+eej7NL._SY445_.jpg

Why @newjerseynick thinks we should watch it: A remake I enjoyed more than the original. I thought it was interesting that they made it first person.

Why does everyone hate clowns? They just wanna give you a struggle hug!
I had a friend in Manhattan whose parents were BOTH clowns. She was a mess, and after I met her dad, it all made sense to me. Talk about a melancholic prick. Meeting him reinforced the belief I had been cultivating that clowns are some sick bastards for choosing to wear make-up, be fake happy, and hang out with kids.

Horror movies and John Gacy have given them a bad rap.
Stephen King did not help. I hate the fact that they present this happy facade when in fact they are probably drunk creepers. Remember a while back when they were misbehaving especially badly? OMG.

Mimes fall into this category for me too.

Stephen King did not help. I hate the fact that they present this happy facade when in fact they are probably drunk creepers. Remember a while back when they were misbehaving especially badly? OMG.

Mimes fall into this category for me too.

What about ventriloquists?

giphy.gif

Magic F'ed people up in 1978 right after Jaws did in 1975 and before that the Exorcist in 1973. In fact, now that I think about it, the 1970's were pretty damn strong for horror.

I remember back in the day being freaked out by the preview. Made me want to never watch it.

Agreed on the '70s. Throw in Chain Saw Massacre, Halloween, and Alien.

What about ventriloquists?

giphy.gif
Yes! They do too. You can almost always see the human's mouths move.

Also, puppets of any kind! Although the ones in that one movie were amazing! Wasnt it a move club movie from the old club? I tried to find it online but my head is throbbing from writing letters of recommendation. I need some shut eye to continue functioning.

I never understood why people liked the muppets.

Back