• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Max dead hang

ROcknrollracing

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Watched a dead hang contest at the fair a bit ago the contest was win 150 bucks if you could dead hang from a pull-up bar for 2 minutes. How long can you hang?

everybody that I saw failed

Probably under 90 seconds. Do it on pull days at the end on rings or bar. Feels great but grip starts to go around 50 seconds
Edit: heavy squat & Yoke days too. Grip last longer but still not 2 minutes

Last edited:
I think lighter people may be able to. I’m pretty light but my legs and ass make up a significant portion of my weight, probably wouldn’t do so well.

Edit: just did around 15 seconds and quit. Tbf my hands hurt cuz I just did back

max i've gotten to was 90seconds

I was inspired to do it when I saw that they had a dead hang game at the annual carnival. Homies had to hang for 110seconds to win a stuffed animal, dayum.

when I was watchin it, alot of folks were not using a five finger grip, which i think is a mistake. No one lasted 110 seconds when i was watchin for ~15mins

max i've gotten to was 90seconds

I was inspired to do it when I saw that they had a dead hang game at the annual carnival. Homies had to hang for 110seconds to win a stuffed animal, dayum.

when I was watchin it, alot of folks were not using a five finger grip, which i think is a mistake. No one lasted 110 seconds when i was watchin for ~15mins
Like a grip without the thumbs? We’re they allowed to do like a pronated + supinated grip

Like a grip without the thumbs? We’re they allowed to do like a pronated + supinated grip
i dont think there were any rules about the grip as long as the hands were used. I THINK the best grip to use would be thumb over the bar (kimura style grip).

one dude fell with like 10 seconds to 1:50, so close..

It depends alot on the thickness and slipperyness of the bar. My best was 56 or 58 seconds one handed hang but ive gained like almost 20 kg since then(I was 75 kg then). You get much more bang for your buck with the one arm hang imo. Takes less time and twice the weight.

i dont think there were any rules about the grip as long as the hands were used. I THINK the best grip to use would be thumb over the bar (kimura style grip).

one dude fell with like 10 seconds to 1:50, so close..
I was watching that show physical 100 (very shitty don’t watch) and the first challenge was to hold onto a bar as long as you can. The Olympic gymnast said the best grip is actually to interlock your fingers and the grab the bar. Like you’re praying. No one ended up doing that grip because it turns out you could put your arms over the bar like a muscle up and stuff so there were much better grips available. But if you are hanging from your hands I think that interlocking grip would probably make a lot of people succeed

I can do it if the grip is a standard pull-up bar grip. But there's a lot of ways to make it more difficult. A thick grip makes it harder, and also those ones you see at the fair are set up to intentionally make them near impossible. They spin and some of them spray stuff on the bars to make them more difficult to grip.

May have to space it 3 days for fair trial but wondering if hands give out at same time no matter the hold.
1 on wooden rings
1 on pull up bar without heavy grip work before
1 on multi grip bar which has a gritty powder coating on it.

after 90 seconds, should be able to hold on for 30 strict 2x bodyweight muscle ups on Thursday.

I use grips nowadays and without them my elbow/forearm issue might come back. I don't deadhang without grips.

I see some people online beating the carny hanging game though. They use a hook grip and just chill. The bar they use isn't stable either. It's usually wide and spins.

Last edited:
If it was at a fair then there's always a catch like the bar is thicker, rotates, etc which makes it infinitely more difficult than simply doing a dead hang on a standard static bar. On a standard pull up bar, it's challenging but quite doable for many (especially lighter - sub 150-160lb) people....I have seen a video of a little untrained girl beat 2 minutes without a problem...

My goal is two minutes. I think I’ve gotten around 1:45. But haven’t done in a while.

I got really into this at one point and was practicing almost every day. The most I got was about 90 seconds.

I was watching that show physical 100 (very shitty don’t watch) and the first challenge was to hold onto a bar as long as you can. The Olympic gymnast said the best grip is actually to interlock your fingers and the grab the bar. Like you’re praying. No one ended up doing that grip because it turns out you could put your arms over the bar like a muscle up and stuff so there were much better grips available. But if you are hanging from your hands I think that interlocking grip would probably make a lot of people succeed

Obviously with fingers laced you can let the joints not muscles take the load, same as doing any other dodgy manoeuvre to reduce the muscle load but using actual grips mixed grip is the most effective (however like the other moves it will likely be banned).

Last edited:
Some background: my kids (4 and 7) are currently obsessed with the "Ninja Kidz," a team of siblings who do spinning shit on youtube. My 7 year old has reaffirmed he wants to be a ninja when he grows up. I've told him many times that BJJ (which he currently trains) + basic wrestling/Judo/MMA is more effective but no, he wants to be a ninja.

These ninja kids recently did a dead hang contest and the winner did 15 minutes and was knocking out pull ups for style points when they made him stop. What the actual fuck. I know it's easier if you're lighter, but still.

We did a family dead hang contest right after dinner (DOH grip on straight bar) on my squat rack in the basement:

Me (5' 8" 170 lbs): 1:23 on straight bar with DOH grip. 1:34 on parallel grip bars an hour later.
7 yo son (~50 lbs): 50 seconds
4 yo daughter (~37 lbs): 34 seconds
wife (doesn't train): 15 seconds

For a regular sized adult, it does start to get a lot harder after around a minute. Lactic acid is building up in your forearms and it's about how long you can take the pain. I think you'd have to be a competitive rock climber or Ninja Warrior competitor or something to do over 5 minutes.

This dude has the world record dead hang at 1 hour 20 minutes, 41 seconds:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/118967-longest-duration-in-the-dead-hang-position#:~:text=The longest duration in the,Japan, on 18 November 2022.

Last edited:
Some background: my kids (4 and 7) are currently obsessed with the "Ninja Kidz" a team of siblings who do gymnastic shit on youtube. My 7 year old has reaffirmed he wants to be a ninja when he grows up. I've told him many times that BJJ (which he currently trains) + basic wrestling/Judo/MMA is more effective but no, he wants to be a ninja.

These ninja kids recently did a dead hang contest and the winner did 15 minutes and was knocking out pull ups for style points when they made him stop. What the actual fuck. I know it's easier if you're lighter, but still.

We did a family dead hang contest right after dinner (DOH grip on straight bar) on my squat rack in the basement:

Me (5' 8" 170 lbs): 1:23 on straight bar with DOH grip. 1:34 on parallel grip bars an hour later.
7 yo son (~50 lbs): 50 seconds
4 yo daughter (~37 lbs): 34 seconds
wife (doesn't train): 15 seconds

For a regular sized adult, it does start to get a lot harder after around a minute. Lactic acid is building up in your forearms and it's about how long you can take the pain. I think you'd have to be a competitive rock climber or Ninja Warrior competitor or some shit to do over 5 minutes.

This dude has the world record dead hang at 1 hour 20 minutes, 41 seconds:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/118967-longest-duration-in-the-dead-hang-position#:~:text=The longest duration in the,Japan, on 18 November 2022.

I think this Italian dude might have the most insane records in all kinds of hanging stuff. He seems to always use a false grip with thumb over the bar. He's on video hanging for 2:22 hours:

Also did over 36' without changing hands:

I think this Italian dude might have the most insane records in all kinds of hanging stuff. He seems to always use a false grip with thumb over the bar. He's on video hanging for 2:22 hours:

Also did over 36' without changing hands:

Lol that's insane. Anything even approaching an hour is trolling. At that point it's closer to a stupid human trick but this guy is obviously the best at what he does. According to his bio he's 5'7" 132 lbs which is lighter than he looks. I guess he has a reasonably built upper body for his size but with miniature Jon Jones chicken legs with a thigh gap.

Tried this today for shits n giggles. Got 1:30. Probably had 2-3 seconds more in me but didn’t feel like going through torture on some David Goggins shit. This was after a heavy deadlift session, probably could get 1:40 if fresh, so 2:00 may not be out of reach with some minimal training (will not attempt). This was a regular bar with no carnie tricks also. Wonder how many stuffed animals are in @DoomPatrol ‘s collection tho.

I used to rock climb so I can hang until I get bored on a regular bar. Also helps that I'm only 150lbs. The hardest part is actually breathing, after hanging long enough it gets harder & harder to take full breaths and that was usually when I gave up. Back in my rock climbing days I used to practice on soccer goalposts which I think were around 3-4" in diameter and got up to a bit over 40 seconds on them.

Back