Matt Hughes Vs Usman

In the modern UFC, Hughes would have to cut to LW to be competitive, so no I don't like his chances against one of the biggest and most powerful WW's ever.

In the modern UFC, Hughes would have to cut to LW to be competitive, so no I don't like his chances against one of the biggest and most powerful WW's ever.

Look at pics of him next to GSP. He is thicker in the upper body while GSP is longer with bigger legs.

Matt was a big boy for WW in how densely built he was. Stand him next to Tyrone and Tyrone would look shorter.

People equate height to weight classes far too much here.

When Silva obliterated Franklin, and Hughes had defeated GSP, there was talk of Hughes going up to middleweight to face Franklin's usurper in Silva.

Hughes would be shorter than Usman yes, but the country boy in his prime was a brick shithouse and he could grapple with bigger man with success.(See videos from ADCC and training with larger grapplers.)

Usman would be the taller man, his legs aren't that thick and he had a wide upper body with long arms. He has a Jon Jones-esque build advantage there but that's it.

Hughes' striking was bad. Very bad. Not sure what you've been watching.

Didn't imply that Hughes was Muhammad Ali, but compared to Usman, Colby and Askren he may as well be.

I could easily picture any of those three bumrushing prime Hughes into the mat for sure, but piecing him up? I can't picture it.

Last edited:
Hughes, no doubt. Usman struggled struggled with Emil Meek and was wobbled repeatedly by Demian Maia. He would have nothing for a prime Hughes who was Usman with better GNP and subs. Hughes finished 12 of his 16 UFC wins. Usman? 1 of 10.

We've establishes that Usman basically can't finish his opponents, so unless he knocks Hughes out cold with his cotton candy hands, he's going down.
Imagine being this retarded

Prime Hughes would lose to current Diego Sanchez, that's how bad and one-dimensional he was.

Back