matt brzycki

bluesquash

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i tried to search but there were no threads found about him.
as anyone heard of him? i bought his book 'wrestling strength: prepare to win" and it seems that he is advocating training to failure, which seems to be ridiculed in these parts. it says that he is the strength coach for princeton. anyone have any experience with his methods?

Need more info than that to give you an accurate answer. Are there any websites that you can post a link too showing a sample of one of his workouts to "failure"?

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, I believe he's into HIT training. I think he writes articles for Cyberpump website. Sounds like the same guy given you've mentioned his sets to failure thing. I think his school of though is into the 1-2 sets to failure on exercises. I don't think he's against the use of machines either like a lot of other strength guys.

In terms of experience with those types of training strategies, I tried them for several years (used to check the website everyday and read a lot of his and other guys articles). It didn't really work for me in terms of gaining strength or size. But hey, that might just have been me.

101pro said:
He's a HIT Jedi.

Yes, a padawan of the original sith lord, Mike Mentzer (I think that's right). I own his book, "Practical Approach to Strength Training." I'd throw it away but it should fetch me a coin on Half.com.

I think he was the guy who was picked apart by Mel Siff in some article about multi-set training vs. single set training!!!

The great Mel Siff. He and his wealth of information are both missed immeasurably. As for HIT, it's just glorified bodybuilding training.

wasptrash said:
The great Mel Siff. He and his wealth of information are both missed immeasurably. As for HIT, it's just glorified bodybuilding training.

Don't some of the more successful powerlifting schools use HIT-derived programs? As it was explained to me, HIT can be useful for certain goals. But its achilles heel, which HIT advocates never address, is that its likelihood to cause injury is overwhelming.

thanks alot guys. he has a series of books on wrestling strength out and i purchased one but after reading through it i found some things that sounded interesting but too good to be true, such as doing just one or two sets at very high intensity. he says a whole body workout should just take an hour, which seems impossible to me unless it was a very intense circuit, in which case i think it would be more of an endurance excercise

IMO, they are not demistifying those techniques. Those techniques listed are used by many of the most successful wrestlers and coaches alike. Although I myself would add a few things to that list, i most certainly would not rule them out. Just my opinion.

Oh and there is truth to the saying, "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is". Hard work and dedication. Don't look for the quick way. Good luck.

thanks fcfighter that is the exact book.
thanks for the feedback guys

I still believe HIT is not a good way to go in training for power and functional strength.

Back