Mate Leon commercial...

I have grave concerns about the triangle choke as a strategy for fighting multiple larger attackers.

That is my sole comment on this video.

well that is your personal opinion, I was just saying that it was not misspelled, simply in another lenguage...

If this was a company with ties to a Spanish speaking country, I would totally agree with you BJJ_Rage. (I've always personally wished that they spoke Spanish in Brazil instead of Portuguese, because I learned Spanish as a kid and it would be awesome to be able to go study BJJ and speak the language.)

But according to their website, this company is located in Turkey. I don't think they ever meant to use a Spanish name. It looks like it was supposed to be Portuguese and they either changed it for legal reasons or just messed up. That said, if YOU want to rock a gi that has Spanish on it, I think that would be totally cool because you'd be doing it intentionally.

If this was a company with ties to a Spanish speaking country, I would totally agree with you BJJ_Rage. (I've always personally wished that they spoke Spanish in Brazil instead of Portuguese, because I learned Spanish as a kid and it would be awesome to be able to go study BJJ and speak the language.)

But according to their website, this company is located in Turkey. I don't think they ever meant to use a Spanish name. It looks like it was supposed to be Portuguese and they either changed it for legal reasons or just messed up. That said, if YOU want to rock a gi that has Spanish on it, I think that would be totally cool because you'd be doing it intentionally.

If you learned spanish...it's half way to portuguese, don't be lazy.

If you learned spanish...it's half way to portuguese, don't be lazy.

95% of my Brazilian friends that "speak Spanish" just speak Portuguese and roll their Rs. The ensuing clusterfuck is better than television.

95% of my Brazilian friends that "speak Spanish" just speak Portuguese and roll their Rs. The ensuing clusterfuck is better than television.

my coach & a uruguayan brown from my gym just speak portuguese and spanish at each other and seem to understand each other pretty well.... are the languages that different?

So, people are getting upset about a brazillian art with a japanese name translating a move into spanish?

God, I hate this forum.

It was a fun video, quit getting so goddamned upset about everything.

my coach & a uruguayan brown from my gym just speak portuguese and spanish at each other and seem to understand each other pretty well.... are the languages that different?

Probably not. Lots of colloquialisms that differ, etc.

My guess is that it's similar to an American from the south going to the UK and trying to talk to someone.

Its probably more like a creole trying to communicate in Paris

Share a lot in common, slangs that can be quite different, but even Portugal and Brazil has completely different slangs.

The tricky thing is the false cognates, words that have similar but slightly different meanings. For example, the spanish word for tip is suborno, we have suborno too but it means bribe here. In both cases it means "extra non-obligatory money", but one is a good thing and the other bad.

And one just needs to look into a map to see why the languages are so similar...Portugal is basically inside Spain.

Almost all of the grammar rules and basic pronunciation in Spanish exist in Portuguese, but not the other way around. In general, Spanish speakers take a bit longer to understand Portuguese than the opposite.
Usually if a Portuguese and a Spanish speaker are in mildly routine contact, they'll figure out the differences in the language and be able to hold quite functional conversations. There's also accent issues to deal with; someone from S

Almost all of the grammar rules and basic pronunciation in Spanish exist in Portuguese, but not the other way around. In general, Spanish speakers take a bit longer to understand Portuguese than the opposite.
Usually if a Portuguese and a Spanish speaker are in mildly routine contact, they'll figure out the differences in the language and be able to hold quite functional conversations. There's also accent issues to deal with; someone from S

Share a lot in common, slangs that can be quite different, but even Portugal and Brazil has completely different slangs.

The tricky thing is the false cognates, words that have similar but slightly different meanings. For example, the spanish word for tip is suborno, we have suborno too but it means bribe here. In both cases it means "extra non-obligatory money", but one is a good thing and the other bad.

And one just needs to look into a map to see why the languages are so similar...Portugal is basically inside Spain.

It's soborno and who told you it meant tip? It also means bribe in spanish and nothing else. Propina is tip.

Probably not. Lots of colloquialisms that differ, etc.

My guess is that it's similar to an American from the south going to the UK and trying to talk to someone.

not that much similar, its similar enough to pick up pretty quicly, but still a different lenguage, getting your ear used to the accent helps a lot so you can relate the words from one lenguage to the other, they sound very a like, and most of the times, they do mean the same thing...

Back