Television MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Okay I watched 2 episodes and I had to tap out.

Full disclosure: He-Man was a bit before my time, I knew of the show but I never watched it as a kid so I had no emotional attachment to any of the characters or source material, so I'm just judging it in a vacuum.

This is just a really shitty show. The animation and artwork is decent but the rest is just awful. The voice acting is HORRENDOUS for the most part. Sarah Michelle Gellar was a horrible choice and has a really whiney, grating voice that I think contradicts how the Teela character looks and is portrayed.

I didn't understand, if Castle Greyskull was so important, why it was guarded by one sorceress chick who got easily duped by a simple trick and was pretty useless in defending against Skeletor and his chick. She was apparently way too smart to fall for Skeleton using magic to disguise himself as a random captured villain, but using that same technique and magic to disguise a shitty robot as He-Man? Fucking genius Magnus Carlsen chess move by Skeletor apparently, completely fools this idiot.

The whole scene where the sorceress has stopped time and is explaining how the whole world is going to fucking end if they don't think of something in the next few seconds, Teela speaks in just the normal whiney voice, no urgency or emotion.

Maybe someone could also explain to me why she took such great offence to not being told He-Man's identity? Seemed like a huge overreaction, as I assume He-Man kept it secret to protect people or whatever. Plus He-Man is just a TRT version of the Prince guy and you'd think she'd recognize the fact that he was the only one absent when shit was going down, so it doesn't say much for her intelligence.

The forced feminism/diversity thing is always kind of cheesy. They both flip the robes off to reveal her partner is a member of the BIPOC community, and it's like "ok, what a surprise". Then they hammer home that this BIPOC female partner is an engineer and like, totally the brains of the operation. And of course they start with the hand holding and Teela says "I like to fight for things more tangible" then gives her the look and they smile lovingly at each other and it's like "cool, so we're just ticking off as many boxes as we can, eh?"

I watched 2 episodes, that's all I'm watching, I wish I could go back and unwatch them but I can't. I don't know how any adults with a 3-digit IQ would be entertained by this, and the writing and quality is too retarded even for kids. If I have a young kid, I'm putting on a Pixar movie, not this bullshit.

I love how triggered this has gotten people.

In the old show, He-Man looked exactly like the Prince.

Except it was like the Adam-Prince put on some kink gear and paraded around and everyone forgot who he was. It didn’t make sense, so making him more scrawny works better.

Apparently the OG show was a huge hit in Denmark and Sweden and Norway because they assumed everyone in it was Scandy on account of the blonde hair and tallness? Can you confirm this @Luke Hand Cool ??
Adam being scrawny would have been fine with me if it wasnt for the rest of the show. Why exactly does Teela need to have muscles about as big as He Mans himself? Then her also becoming the lead character just screws up the show.

Lol at the poll results. <45>
Yeah I don't get how there are 4 people that rated it as a perfect 10.

Even if you're super woke and love all the creative choices they made, you still have to admit the writing was poor.

I suspect those 4 people are a combination of trolls and writers on the show

Part of episode 1 brought back great memories of he-man, and the skeletor battle looked cool.
But after teela threw her temper tantrum and went full lesbo she demolished the motu foundations. With help from the liberal diversity production, the bait and switch can now go down in flames, along with moss man.

RIP to the original he-man lore.

Okay I watched 2 episodes and I had to tap out.

Sarah Michelle Gellar was a horrible choice and has a really whiney, grating voice that I think contradicts how the Teela character looks and is portrayed.

This is big part honestly. I like Sarah but her voice is wrong for the part. It's a combination of things. Of course they had to make her gay and every chance they get, they throw in a look or an affectionate moment with her gay friend. It never feels genuine when Hollywood does it. It's just forced into everything and they hit you over the head with it. It's like you can't be friends with the same sex now. You have to be gay.

And finally, that haircut.

KellyShaved-faba80bd7ec34ed4956fb287230939b2.jpg

I see that and I want nothing to do with you and probably already know everything about you.

You know, I just now got your username. I always assumed it was spelled "Egon." I was just thinking, "That's an odd username. Sort of sounds like a character in some fantasy pastiche..." Maybe because it was because I was thinking of Harold Remus earlier today, seeing trailers for the upcoming Ghostbusters that it finally clicked.

You know, I just now got your username. I always assumed it was spelled "Egon." I was just thinking, "That's an odd username. Sort of sounds like a character in some fantasy pastiche..." Maybe because it was because I was thinking of Harold Remus earlier today, seeing trailers for the upcoming Ghostbusters that it finally clicked.

Yeah, Aegon is from Game of Thrones. Fantasy Pastiche is quite right. Egon was my cartoon hero growing up. My real name is Joe Biden

I think Smith sorta left things in a gray zone; halfway between being a self-serious, dark deconstruction of Masters of the Universe and half-way a wink-wink, nudge-nudge goofball adventure. I feel like he didn't go all the way in either direction, really.

I feel he kept it silly when portraying the flashbacks and classic characters and went serius with his redesigns, wich was like a big F-U to the fans that wanted a more serius version of the old show, not the new Teela adn Good-lyn adventures.

Weirdest thing is that they also have a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartooned supposedly aimed at kids coming out later this year. Wonder if that is going to have that awful, soft-style anime design that Thundercats, She-Ra etc had. I really doubt that Netflix will do any better giving kids a version of He-Man to enjoy than they did for grownup fans.

CGI with designs aimed at kids.

DYXTCCZ3LRAUFEXFGPV4GSEAII.jpg

I didn't realize how bad that scene was the first time around.
Adam needs the power of the Universe just to be Teela's equal. lol

It makes no sense she can beat the evil warriors in one hit, He-man could cause he has super streght, but she taking on 3 or 4 at the same time like she did when she took on Triklops, Trapjaw, Blast Attack and Whiplash (plus those cyborgs) just makes them even more useless than they were in the 80s kid firendly cartoon.

It was that weird lets make some thing dark and keep other silly Kevin Smith take.

Razorfist is my spirit animal.

He does bring up an interesting point - All of the backlash is giving Revelations far more attention than this show actually deserves, and all of the negativity about it is actually advertising the show to people that would otherwise have no idea of its existence.

It makes me curious if this is in fact a marketing strategy... take a dormant franchise with a built-in audience and make it offensively bad and the vocal negativity would make other audiences curious about exactly how bad it is and watch it.

Remember - Netflix doesn't actually care if you like their shows, they care if you watch them. Indifference is what causes shows to be cancelled.

Mattel basically made the original '82 and '02 series to sell toys, and cancelled them both once the toys stopped selling.

CGI with designs aimed at kids.

DYXTCCZ3LRAUFEXFGPV4GSEAII.jpg
Looks horrible. These guys are so confused about what kids want. So are comic-book companies; Marvel and DC's comics aimed at kids always look deliberately soft and goofy. Kids loved the classic comics, be it the explosive artwork of a Jack Kirby or the majestic realism of a Jose Garcia Lopez or later on, Todd MacFarlane or Jim Lee. And they loved classic He-Man, Transformers, GI Joe, Dungeons and Dragons, etc., none of which patronized them like this with their animation styles and really, with their content, even with all the limitations censors placed on them.

Yeah, Aegon is from Game of Thrones. Fantasy Pastiche is quite right. Egon was my cartoon hero growing up. My real name is Joe Biden
Was Aegon one of the Targaryans? I read those when they were first coming out and then found myself lost when A Dance with Dragons finally hit the shelves (it was originally slated for 2005, as you might remember, before he decided to take the secondary character POV's and put them together in A Feast for Crows). The gap was just too long and I had forgotten too much to get into it again. But I do vaguely remember the name Aegon, now that you mention it. I guess it just is a Game of Thrones-sound title.

It makes no sense she can beat the evil warriors in one hit, He-man could cause he has super streght, but she taking on 3 or 4 at the same time like she did when she took on Triklops, Trapjaw, Blast Attack and Whiplash (plus those cyborgs) just makes them even more useless than they were in the 80s kid firendly cartoon.

It was that weird lets make some thing dark and keep other silly Kevin Smith take.

It'd be like Black Widow going head to head with an army of super soldiers.
The current edition of the show just shows that we don't need He-man. The world went on fine without him.
Teela and her gf could literally go into the center of an enemy's lair, be surrounded by killer enhanced cyborgs, wreck their shit, and leave unscathed.

Razorfist is my spirit animal.

He does bring up an interesting point - All of the backlash is giving Revelations far more attention than this show actually deserves, and all of the negativity about it is actually advertising the show to people that would otherwise have no idea of its existence.

It makes me curious if this is in fact a marketing strategy... take a dormant franchise with a built-in audience and make it offensively bad and the vocal negativity would make other audiences curious about exactly how bad it is and watch it.

Remember - Netflix doesn't actually care if you like their shows, they care if you watch them. Indifference is what causes shows to be cancelled.

Mattel basically made the original '82 and '02 series to sell toys, and cancelled them both once the toys stopped selling.

It's pretty genius if it was all a marketing strategy to call more attention to the show.
If this thread and controversy didn't exist, I would have tapped out on the show right here, and then I wouldn't of thought about, or heard of it again...nor would I have had an interest to see if they turned things around.
But now that we are all talking about, I know that I'm going to wind up finishing the season at least.

Few episodes in, this thing is absurd

It have moments where is clear it have the potential to be the best He-Man thing ever (example Duncan playing Solid Snake style old soldier was epic), but they just throw that potential from a cliff to desperately chase their netflix political propaganda crap shoehorning it hard as they can damaging the show

WarmExcellentBighornsheep-size_restricted.gif

Irony is that problem is'nt even Teela as lead character, they could still have done good show with her, but to follow their political retard agenda they sucked dicks even at make a female protagonist show. Let that sink

Sad, if show was made by not mentally fucked up people it could have been great

Back