mass x acceleretion = power

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoviVavilon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If this is the theory .... then can anyone explain me how gettin brute strength in lifts helps power in punching/kicking/kneeing etc ... I'm not biting at strength training but i want someone to explain me that because i don't really understand it... i get confused really.. i mean cro cop's bench press is 150 kg x 3 ... and i can bet my money he hits harder than someone who lifts 250 kg on bench press... so ..can someone educate me please on methods of training for athletes.

Because his technique is better than 99.99999% of people who bench 250 kg.

/thread

In the world of pointless threads, you sir, are a winner...

Mass x acceleration=force

force x speed= power

Strength in bench press does not directly translate to punching power. Yes, it might help, but there is a lot of technique and other muscles involved in punching. Ever heard that the power of the punch is rooted at the hips? It is. Core strengthening has a larger impact on punching power than bench pressing.

Technique practice has the most impact on punching power.

Getting brute strength helps make your muscles more efficient and more coordinated. When combined with technique practice the two work together well.

hehehe ..you bring a good point .. but seriously based on the theory .. no matter how strong you are at a given weight .. your power will depend only on how fast you are , or am i wrong ?

hehehe ..you bring a good point .. but seriously based on the theory .. no matter how strong you are at a given weight .. your power will depend only on how fast you are , or am i wrong ?

Theoretically, deadlifting a 225 lb. bar is gonna feel lighter and move faster when your max is 700 rather than, say, 400.

Read Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe explains in the chapter about powercleans how the powercleans and deadlift contribute to each other...even though they're very different.

Strength in bench press does not directly translate to punching power. Yes, it might help, but there is a lot of technique and other muscles involved in punching. Ever heard that the power of the punch is rooted at the hips? It is. Core strengthening has a larger impact on punching power than bench pressing.

Getting brute strength helps make your muscles more efficient and more coordinated. When combined with technique practice the two work together well.

okay okay ..thanks ... i didn't indicate that bench press improves power i just made it as an example how some lift less but hit harder

I ate it already though. It was good.

This is a pretty good answer. Technique is the key maximizing power. Shape and form (aka technique) generates speed, speed generates power. If you combined great strength with great technique, then you maximize your power.

The proper type of strength training can definately increase your punching power, but mastering the proper technique should be your main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back