• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Marvin Hagler has passed away

May God rest his soul. One of the all time greats, and an example of a kind person outside of the ring who was an animal inside the ring. I notice that a lot among the greats; they have such a tender and kind hearted way with others. I think part of that is just a quiet confidence and maturity that comes with age. I am sure we will see lots of tributes soon.

Sad night for all of us, and I'm glad we have some live boxing to keep our minds on better things.

Damn that is such a shame. RIP to him what a legend.

Do we think
Hearns runs his own IG?
Do we think he's actually a reliable source?

I agree. No it’s not an authoritative source. But dang man, why post it? One would suspect he called the family they told him. Its certainly something odd to just make up. You have to ask yourself why? To what end? Why would he post that of all things?

If was forced to make a bet, I seriously doubt we will ever know the truth.

God damn. Well, this just shit on the weekend.
R.I.P. champ, legend, warrior.

I was just thinking about him the other day. Over in Mayberry, there was talk about the reboot of Punky Brewster. I was hoping Marvin would make another cameo.

Marvin's cameo on Punky Brewster > Bowe & Holyfield's cameos on Fresh Prince of Bel Aire > Tyson on Webster > Foreman on Home Improvement > Ali on Different Strokes > Jerry Quarry on I Dream of Genie.

I am still salty about the leonard fight and the Mugabi fight before that was one of the craziest wars I have seen

The Mugabi fight had everything. Hagler using his slick defence and footwork early as they tried to get a read on each other, then the heavy punches started landing and it became one of the most brutal wars I've ever seen. Round 6 was right up there with the first round of Hagler vs. Hearns, and rounds 10 & 11 were a test of will & heart, with Hagler breaking Mugabe and violently beating him to death.

I only got to spend a small amount of time with him when we met at the Fighter of the Decade awards back in December of 1990 but he was a classy gentleman during the course of our conversation. It took place the night before my exhibition bout with Mark Breland & he wished me well & told me to put on a good show. Which I took to heart the following afternoon against the former two-time welterweight champion by being aggressive & looking to brawl with him. Perhaps, pressing matters a bit too much as Breland set me straight with a hell of a right hand that nearly removed my head from my shoulders & it reminded me that this was just an exhibition. So, I cooled my jets a bit & played it nice the rest of the way.
20201021_135523.jpg

I agree. No it’s not an authoritative source. But dang man, why post it? One would suspect he called the family they told him. Its certainly something odd to just make up. You have to ask yourself why? To what end? Why would he post that of all things?

If was forced to make a bet, I seriously doubt we will ever know the truth.

I feel if his wife asked for privacy but then Hearns or more likely whomever runs his IG went with that might be in some trouble.
someone looking for some TMZ level bullshit.
Unless someone officially says what the cause of death was, I'm not going to believe Hearns IG.

I feel if his wife asked for privacy but then Hearns or more likely whomever runs his IG went with that might be in some trouble.
someone looking for some TMZ level bullshit.
Unless someone officially says what the cause of death was, I'm not going to believe Hearns IG.

Only thing that gets me is it was posted before his death. It says he was in the hospital(icu) fighting the effects. I’m with ya though.

Marvin Hagler is the reason I became a boxing fan. I love Bernard Hopkins, Duran, Sweet Pea, and nowdays, Errol Spence...but there will never be another Hagler. Thank you for the skill, the mental/physical determination, and for the wars. Simply put, you were one of the greatest. RIP legend, your name will ring for eternity.

Wow. That's crazy, he always seemed like the very picture of health. What an incredible warrior. His path to the title couldn't have been any tougher. I was watching his title winning effort against Alan Minter not too long ago; what an epic that was, both in terms of the fight itself and everything going on outside of it. It was only fitting that Hagler, who had to fight his way to the top, had to do deal with a virtual riot upon winning the belt. He was a great analyst, I thought. And he was one of the few top pros to pick Bernard Hopkins over Felix Trinidad; that always stood out to me. It was one middleweight great recognizing greatness in another, it seemed to me.

Marvin Hagler is the reason I became a boxing fan. I love Bernard Hopkins, Duran, Sweet Pea, and nowdays, Errol Spence...but there will never be another Hagler. Thank you for the skill, the mental/physical determination, and for the wars. Simply put, you were one of the greatest. RIP legend, your name will ring for eternity.
Never be another. No doubt about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back