• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Marvin Hagler has passed away

Interesting that he died at "home" which was in the US. I say it's interesting because Marvin always kept a lot to himself, his facebook page would give pics and videos but not a lot of info about him and his fans generally didn't ask a whole lot, I know I didn't. I didn't know if he was in europe or the us, no idea, none of my business unless he wanted to say. I don't think I saw a photo of his wife until yesterday, you never hear about his kids or his ex wife and the last he mentioned family was in his Las Vegas speech where his mom was present. Refreshing in this age where celebs and civilians post a pic of every little turn of their lives. I sure wish he'd gotten around to a book, he always said "when it's time" when I'd ask and now it'll never happen. None of us know how long we have here, that is the big takeaway anytime I lose anyone, family, friend, hero or foe. We all have to make that journey someday, none of us gets special treatment as far as that goes.

Hagler had a place in Bartlett, NH. Funny story, North Conway, NH is a life long vacation spot for me. In a nearby town, is a restaurant called the Red Parka Pub (amazing ribs). Wife and I sat at the bar one afternoon for lunch and they have a signed photo of Hagler behind the bar. I asked the bartender about it and she said Hagler lived nearby in Bartlett and came into the restaurant all the time. I guess he'd go live in Italy for the winter and return to Bartlett once the weather got better. I showed the bartender a picture off Hagler and I and she said "Yup! He's so handsome."
She said he'd come in every other day or so, and not for a long time. He'd sit at the bar for a drink or two, would chit chat, and then leave. Of course I asked what he drank and she said he'd always have Chardonnay with a splash of cranberry. Every now and then he'd get Patron. She also said you could spot him riding his mountain bike around town, with his chain dangling. Every year we'd go up for a vacation and I always went to the Red Parka Pub hoping I'd run into Hagler again. I'm very sad that won't happen now.

Really sad and shocking news given how well he looked recently. An absolutely unstopable force in the ring. Iron will. Iron chin.

This is very sad news. Still shocked. A class act. The Greatest Middleweight there has been in Boxing. Rest In Peace Marvin Hagler.

For everyone who cares to spend 30 min... I watched it and my favorite line was: "In the mid 1980s people knew who the middleweight champion was" ....Well, times have changed quite a bit, there's certainly no two opinions on that.

Mugabe - Hagler was just about the greatest thing in the 1980s. That was a war.

That's crazy how i was just watching that fight where he went to England and destroyed their white champ who said "no black man is going take my title.

Then the disgusting UK racist fans started a riot and threatened Hagler's life.

R.I.P. to the Warrior Champ, from construction worker to world champ, he went through a lot.

<2>

Last edited:
For everyone who cares to spend 30 min... I watched it and my favorite line was: "In the mid 1980s people knew who the middleweight champion was" ....Well, times have changed quite a bit, there's certainly no two opinions on that.

What you mean its jake paul followed by conor mcgreggar

yes! Fucking internet and it’s rumors

r.i.p. to one of the greatest ever.

{<redford}
sure, but bizarre, it's not just anyone posting it, it was Thomas hearns unless his page was fake. How did he or whoever it was have even incorrect info that fast? They are half a country away from each other and you'd think that whoever would have gotten him the info probably got it from someone in Marvin's circle, from there to the net it probably got all fucked up. Why someone would concern themselves with any of that while a loved one was dying is beyond me. So.., possibly it's a medical person, they are usually good for rumours aren't they?

sure, but bizarre, it's not just anyone posting it, it was Thomas hearns unless his page was fake. How did he or whoever it was have even incorrect info that fast? They are half a country away from each other and you'd think that whoever would have gotten him the info probably got it from someone in Marvin's circle, from there to the net it probably got all fucked up. Why someone would concern themselves with any of that while a loved one was dying is beyond me. So.., possibly it's a medical person, they are usually good for rumours aren't they?

His insta is definitely not fake, though I doubt that Thomas himself is running it. And I don't think it was meant badly - maybe the person who posted it merely wanted as many people as possible to send out prayers. Obviously at that time didn't know that Hagler wouldn't make it.
Also I'm not sure the info is even incorrect - but considering the current global state its not a good idea to spread that a public figure died due to complications caused by the vaccine. So summarized I'd say it wasn't a properly considered post, even though not meant badly.

no it's not, wonder how the message got so fucked up. Exactly what we don't need. Truth is, there is a good chance that they won't know what killed him until the autopsy results are in. If it was a natural death, (most likely) they should have the results soon. I can't see Marvelous being a hardcore druggie but I've been wrong before. It's probably something like pneumonia, a stroke, a heart attack, maybe some brain dysfunction. The human body is complex and any one of us could drop dead at any moment because of it.

Here's a fun story, I remember watching it years ago...

Here's a fun story, I remember watching it years ago...

ya, saw that before, interesting for a couple reasons, if the "girl" he was with wasn't his wife it kind of surprising and as a heavyweight, he was probably a clubfighter, i never heard of him and Mills Lane wrote in his book that he thought Hagler could take Holmes in a streetfight.

also, Barry McGuigan was given similar treatment by Marvin and after he retired, Hagler mellowed out and I think Barry said Marvin explained how he saw all fighters as a threat when he was fighting or something, even a flyweight. Marvin was singular. I only wished he'd never have let Ray get close to him, he genuinely liked Ray and it got to him in the fight. Ray played on this by being super sweet during the buildup. Hagler complained that ray was "killing me with kindness".

ya, saw that before, interesting for a couple reasons, if the "girl" he was with wasn't his wife it kind of surprising and as a heavyweight, he was probably a clubfighter, i never heard of him and Mills Lane wrote in his book that he thought Hagler could take Holmes in a streetfight.

also, Barry McGuigan was given similar treatment by Marvin and after he retired, Hagler mellowed out and I think Barry said Marvin explained how he saw all fighters as a threat when he was fighting or something, even a flyweight. Marvin was singular. I only wished he'd never have let Ray get close to him, he genuinely liked Ray and it got to him in the fight. Ray played on this by being super sweet during the buildup. Hagler complained that ray was "killing me with kindness".

Here he is on boxrec... Something wrong with his info though, because he says he had 3 fights at that time and Hagler was still champion. which doesn't add up: https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/26099

And here he is boxing an opponent you may heard of:

Back