Opinion Marvel Studios to possibly change "X-Men" name

Not sure how I feel about this.

{<huh} you mean there isn't a mainstream news report or a blue check Twitter person out there that hasn't told you what to think about it yet?

X-Men should be changed to Protectors of the Planet. Problem solved.

Is Brianna Wu still around? I remember her going full-retard during GamerGate.

Brianna-Wu.jpg

I used to collect X-men comics when I was a kid and in college. I still have hundreds of comics in mylar bags with cardboard backing. Favorite comic book series ever.

I couldn't care less about this. Unless it affects the art and the quality of the writing, I don't care how they title it.

X-Men, X-force, Exiles, New Mutants, etc. Marvel has titled these mutant comics pretty much everything over the years, what's one more change?

This is what the outrage crowd seems to miss. If marvel doesnt reimagine all of this it is breaking from tradition not keeping it.

Outrage casuals.

Not sure how I feel about this.

First I think "Men" is referring to "Man" as in humans, and not "Man" as in gender. So I dont think this was made in any sexual intent or should have any current name change in today's context, YET.

This also begs the greater question if we should continue to describe human as "man" anymore in the first place (ie "mankind")

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...a-alonso-believes-the-name-x-men-is-outdated/

It’s their marketing. If they want to ditch all the money they’ve put into the “X-Men” name building brand recognition that’s on them. In my opinion it’s a very poor business decision. I’m not buying the inclusion angle because if you’ve ever followed the series comics, cartoons, movies they’ve always been a very diverse group. Like I said, it’s a poor business decision to remove a fan favorite brand name but we’ll see what they go with for the rebranding.

Here I see shades of grey though. I don't really see any harm at all in this and I don't see it as part of a larger movement. I can resist things I think are absurd like men competing against women in sports or men going to women's prisons or men using women's bathrooms or being forced to refer to a person with the wrong gender. issues like that I am strongly opposed to and will fight for but this is nothing it's meaningless and it doesn't matter and frankly I think it would be good for a little girl to have a different name in the title and harmless to men.

I think some men could stand to do a little self reflection themselves and admit they are feeling threatened and that it is not society's job to make them feel secure.

Pushing the envelope

I say do it. Go all in with the woke agenda.

I'm a big Marvel fan, and the mutants/X-men have always been my favorite. I still read comics, and have since I was a kid.
While I want them to keep the name, of all the "woke" stuff, this one actually is a legitimate criticism.

To have a team of superheroes called the X-men, especially when pretty much the most powerful members of the team are female, is a bit weird. In real life, for a woman to introduce herself and say "I am a X/YG/B-man", would be weird.
So, I get it.

The comic book industry is dying anyways, so who cares. Especially since DC and Marvel have both been trash for years.

In that case they have to find a new word for women because it has men in it lol

Comic books continuously change and rewrite every aspect of their characters and story. Seems like a silly thing to get upset about if it does actually happen, but you can’t underestimate how thin-skinned some people around here are.
It's the thinned-skin people are that upset and want it change.. People are tired of stupid decisions based on fake outrage and pandering .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back