Martial arts shoe

amandakissnhug

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I broke my toe training muay thai. Can a tkd shoe be used for grappling and are wrestling shoes able to be used for standup? In other words, which one is more versatile? Any input would be great.

make sure you take care of that. I have a toe that I rebroke several times because I never had it fixed. It's still messed up.

tkd if u pivit more, because they dont have the same rubber grip sole's as wrestling shoies... and yes wrestling shoes can be used in standup training.

Fozzy said:
tkd if u pivit more, because they dont have the same rubber grip sole's as wrestling shoies... and yes wrestling shoes can be used in standup training.
Do the tkd shoes have enough grip to be used for grappling?

amandakissnhug said:
Do the tkd shoes have enough grip to be used for grappling?

not any of the ones I've seen or used. They have a little bit of grip, but not enough to perform a double leg off.

If you're gonna be doing wrestling and MT and just want the overall protection for you feet, you're better off investing in wrestling shoes as apposed to TKD.

~Foz

I have both TKD and wrestling shoes and I almost only wear my wrestling shoes now. What Foz said above is true though.

Sorry, my earlier post was deleted- did'nt know the rules about posting links!

I find it difficult to kick with good technique in wrestling shoes, partly because of the grip and also because of the higher cut they have. They're OK for front or axe kicks, but for roundhouse kicks I dont like them. I actually like to use my slippery TKD shoes for BJJ: it's easier to go back to barefoot if I want to as I'm getting no help in terms of grip & its harder to for my opponent to nail a leglock/heelhook if I'm wearing a TKD shoe instead of wrestling shoe.

I can understand the issue off the roundhouse kicks with the wrestling shoes. Here is what I do to get around that:

1. Get lower-top wrestling shoes. Mine are Adidas, and they don't go as high as some of the other ones do. I got mine on clearance for something like $20 or less. Check out jrwrestling.com for some good deals.

2. Make sure my plant foot is already pivoted when I plant it when throwing the kick. The wrestling shoes in that respect help me get more power because I am firmly planted when the kick impacts, i.e. I know my foot isn't going to slide.

fat_wilhelm said:
I use these for both grappling and kicking arts. They really stick to the mat, and, boy, do they pack some heat on a side kick to the abdomen.

http://www.rei.com/product/47869622.htm

ummm...I'm guessing your sparing partners will not like you very much after several seconds into the first round.

Adino said:
ummm...I'm guessing your sparing partners will not like you very much after several seconds into the first round.

nahhhh... my wife likes me alright. i let her use a sword.

Get a good pair of wrestling shoes, the tkd shoes are low cut and won't be worth a damn in grappling.

www.SSFgear.com

Yea I still have my wrestling shoes from wrestling as a freshman in high school and I just got done with college, I say go with the wrestling shoes.

If you already have them both, give them a shot. Personally I'd just use my wrestling shoes. I don't have much of a problem kicking in them. I suppose it's easier to point the toes in TKD shoes but definately manageable in wrestling shoes. In all honesty though I'm not sure how this will really fix the root problem of breaking your toes though as you'll end up barefoot when actually fighting.

BTW, I should have a spare pair of Adidas TKD shoes. If you are near a sz. 9 and don't mind trying a pair of used TKD shoes, you are welcome to them.

Back