Mark Turner - BJJ

No. He took something that i really enjoyed doing and ruined it, not only for me but for other people.

It's time to let it go.

Allow yourself to be free.

You will be happier.

Apparently in the Mark Turner bjj group chat it was made known that if you want to move up and be promoted or get better in competition you need to show up to the lone class that Mark Turner teaches. He'll teach you fron the demian maia approved curriculum and the way that has made him so successful throughout his career. And to keep alert because there are "pop up" classes on the horizion

Wtf? Youre going to teach your students how to move from divisions so they dont actually have to earn their medals?

Are you the only instructor in your academy that teaches from said curriculum considering you have 4 other black belts, that you awarded, on your staff?

What the hell is a pop up class? Are you just going to show up and take over a persons class? Will you still pay that instructor for the class?

Is the demand for students to attend your class because you average 2 to 3 and while the other teachers are getting more than double that?

No.

You are full of anger.

Let it go. Let this thread go. Let Mark go.
Yes.
I will let this thread go. Ive let Mark go. I feel pity for him because he doesn't realize how he's made a mockery of himself. But youre right, he'll maybe see this one day and he knows who i am but i doubt ill hear from him. So take care. Im back to being my happy self.

You might be 100% right about this Mark Turner guy but come on man , you sound like some crazy ex girlfriend. Bjj clubs are just like any other businesses, some are great and run professionally, some are shit and run by bunch of arseholes. Best thing to vote with your feet, rather than wasting time writing essays on the forum.

at least hes under maia lol i think there is only 2 places n usa who are affiliated with him id loveeeee to be able tot rain just a day with him to pick his brain on certain things

Yes.
I will let this thread go. Ive let Mark go. I feel pity for him because he doesn't realize how he's made a mockery of himself. But youre right, he'll maybe see this one day and he knows who i am but i doubt ill hear from him. So take care. Im back to being my happy self.

well now bjj is eveyrwhere so it isnt 2008 anymore where ud have to trian there or dont train at all which is great thats the good thing about it if hes a shithead then he willl go out of business when enough students leave

You're probably right. Except im actually a pretty happy guy.

Sounds like a legit blackbelt you just don't like how he teaches/does business/ or him in general.

Bjj/grappling is prettt big now just go to a different school. Different strokes for different folks. You're going to meet people in all different walks of life that you don't get along with or agree with how they do things.

Just accept it and move on. He might not like you and things that he doesn't agree with that you're doing. So what? Shake hands and move on.

Like stoic mentioned no sense in dwelling on it and letting it ruin something you enjoy....take care and best of luck

I actually had no plans on returning here until i was quoted:
at least hes under maia lol i think there is only 2 places n usa who are affiliated with him id loveeeee to be able tot rain just a day with him to pick his brain on certain things
Actually he has 5. 2 in California, 1 in Massachusetts, 1 in Miami, and Mark Turners academy. Id suggest the 2 in california, ive heard nothing but good things from people i know who have visited those academies.
well now bjj is eveyrwhere so it isnt 2008 anymore where ud have to trian there or dont train at all which is great thats the good thing about it if hes a shithead then he willl go out of business when enough students leave
Thats probably true, except the students dont stay for him, the largest classes are due to his staff whom are some of the best instructors in the area.
Sounds like a legit blackbelt you just don't like how he teaches/does business/ or him in general.

Bjj/grappling is prettt big now just go to a different school. Different strokes for different folks. You're going to meet people in all different walks of life that you don't get along with or agree with how they do things.

Just accept it and move on. He might not like you and things that he doesn't agree with that you're doing. So what? Shake hands and move on.

Like stoic mentioned no sense in dwelling on it and letting it ruin something you enjoy....take care and best of luck
Hes 100% a legit black belt hes just a dick that is lying to his students about how he is a "world class" competitor.
And @Stoic1 is probably right. But hey, Mark Turner will have brand spanking new Fuji gear this wekend when he shows up to get his participation medal in LA. only time youll see him in his natural weight.....when the bracket is empty. Bravo.

Last edited:
Rafael Domingoes, arguably Maia’s best black belt coaches at our team. One of the most caring, dedicated people you’ll ever meet. Sounds nothing like this bum

Rafael Domingoes, arguably Maia’s best black belt coaches at our team. One of the most caring, dedicated people you’ll ever meet. Sounds nothing like this bum
Im willing to bet that the only similarities they share is how they play half guard

Last edited:
17976-768x1579.jpeg 17974-768x1579.jpeg 17975-768x1579.jpeg 20190306_093911-1024x1633.jpg 20190306_093946-768x1118.jpg
So, Mark Turner, you flew to the L.A. Pro to get your participation medal and then to not compete in the open even though youve said on the graplling central podcast that you want the big boys to prove how your jiu jitsu works? Though, congrats on competing at your natural weight for the first time in lord knows how long, albeit an empty division. Points for trying? Then you doop your students into thinking your ranking is valid because you dont give them the full story? Absolute embarassment of Demian Maia and Wagner Mota. Strutting around rhe arena with your gi on for no reason. What a joke.

Last edited:
Ok, I love this thread

Let it out, man, I know it feels good

This can only get better if Mark Turner shows up. Fuck that would be sweet

Part of me wants to message him on Facebook and ask what his IBJJF record is? Just out of morbid curiosity? Is there a way to determine that easily?

Ok, I love this thread

Let it out, man, I know it feels good

This can only get better if Mark Turner shows up. Fuck that would be sweet
Honestly it felt good when i left. This is more about when people google his name, this thread is in the results and theyll get an honest account of him before making a mistake and believing him. He wont show up itll hurt his ego too much.
Part of me wants to message him on Facebook and ask what his IBJJF record is? Just out of morbid curiosity? Is there a way to determine that easily?
Yes. Go to the ibjjf website. Click on results and view the brackets for yourself.

Yea, I’m digging this thread too. Thanks for outing this guy. Hope he faces the music someday.

One question that comes to mind, you said that the academy has really good instructors other than him. You also mention that you’re concerned that it impacts upon demian maias reputation. Wouldn’t the simplest thing be to reach out to Maia with all this stuff instead?

One question that comes to mind, you said that the academy has really good instructors other than him. You also mention that you’re concerned that it impacts upon demian maias reputation. Wouldn’t the simplest thing be to reach out to Maia with all this stuff instead?
Marks behavior towards people has been brought to his attention once, years ago. But not his comp antics. Demain just brushed it off by saying "mark is my friend, hes fine". One of my goals is for a high ranking black belt that demain respects to show this to him so he can see the type of guy that he has representing him.

Back