Marine in need of aid 19.75%BF

MONSTER KODY

White Belt
Reaction score
Guys, title says it all. Im at 19.75% body lard. But Im not a Fat Body like some of the other Marines. I go for a PT run every morning and I weight train atleast 4 days a week. I go when ever I have the chance. Guys in my unit tell me all the time "you gettin swoll, but you need to tighten it up in the middle." My nutrition is...whatever they feed me at the chow hall. However I do grab a shit load of salads just to justify myself. Currently taking whey protein, eas creatine, gnc mega greens. I know having a good nutrition is a key but Im kinda stuck with what I got and chow hall food aint the best nutritious food in the world. I just need some advice, whatever helps. Thanks fellas!

I was in the military, there are tons of healthy options a the chow hall man

so you say you know what you need to do, but feel you can't do it, so you want some advice? Advice about what?

Why is your camp called Fuji when it's in Okinawa?

Jesus, are you fuckin kidding me? What's your weight? When I was stationed at Camp Hansen I was 207, 15# over for my height, with a bf% of 15 and they put me on weight control. I started working out like a madman and put on 15# and lowered my bf% to 12 and they threatened to kick me out. How are you almost 20% and not on some serious weight control? Considering "Male - Not to exceed 18 percent." is the standard.

Jesus, are you fuckin kidding me? What's your weight? When I was stationed at Camp Hansen I was 207, 15# over for my height, with a bf% of 15 and they put me on weight control. I started working out like a madman and put on 15# and lowered my bf% to 12 and they threatened to kick me out. How are you almost 20% and not on some serious weight control? Considering "Male - Not to exceed 18 percent." is the standard.

My current weight is 196. Man I dont know where the fuck you get off talking to me like that devil. I dont care if you were from kinbay. And yes I am on weight control and I am on restriction and restriction from food as well and I do go out to mandatory bullshit extra PT and I do get shit talked to my face from company gunny and co. and that little scrawny fuck in chage of this bullshit ass program. Also not once have I heard anybody tellin me Im gonna get kicked out cause of this shit. Thats all bullshit. Plus I havent even gone out to the sandbox yet.
Man since you been there let me know what to do, dont just bitch about what you been through. That shit is irrelevant.

people will bitch, this is the internet.

eat healthier.

run more.

lift heavier.

bitch less.

Simple, right?

~Foz

soooo.... i commend you for fighting for your country and all, but dont you seem to be asking a pretty broad question here. Maybe dont eat that second steak or something. From the lack of information you have given(other then you eat in a "chow hall") you need to lower your calories... given how much energy you should be expending with drills and training, im rather confused how you can get to 20% bf.

I lost a lot of weight in 6 months mainly from cutting any drink out of my diet that had calories(just drink water now) and eating proper breakfast and regularly threw out the day rather then 1-2 big meals.

Just a word of caution your posts are starting to sound like you would rather argue and fight with people then actualy get advice.

My current weight is 196. Man I dont know where the fuck you get off talking to me like that devil. I dont care if you were from kinbay. And yes I am on weight control and I am on restriction and restriction from food as well and I do go out to mandatory bullshit extra PT and I do get shit talked to my face from company gunny and co. and that little scrawny fuck in chage of this bullshit ass program. Also not once have I heard anybody tellin me Im gonna get kicked out cause of this shit. Thats all bullshit. Plus I havent even gone out to the sandbox yet.
Man since you been there let me know what to do, dont just bitch about what you been through. That shit is irrelevant.

All right, first I apologize for coming off all wrong. I'm not bitchin at you, just fuckin blown away. So relax, and don't get worked up by a comment on the internet.

Vedic & TJT have given you two keys to success.
1. Look at what you're eating in that chow line. If it's dripping with grease, deep-fried, drenched in sauce, etc. sure it tastes better than the plain boiled chicken breast in the next pan, but the chicken breast is better for you. There are always options in the chow hall. If there isn't a plain meat option, skip it and get some cottage cheese. Eating a bunch of salads isn't gonna do shit for you if it's the typical iceberg lettuce salad with slivers of cabbage & carrots -which is all I ever saw in the chow hall - you need to eat some real veggies. It's been quite a while since I had to eat that crap (I feel for you on that subject) but when I was there, they always had veggies with every meal. Take them & choke them down since they're probably nasty as hell.
2. What are you drinking? If you're the type who drinks juice & soda all day then I recommend keeping track of how much you drink for a couple days or a week, & total up the calories & sugar. It's amazing how many calories you can take in without eating anything.

If you haven't read the FAQ, I highly recommend it. Then, read it again, including all the links. Feel free to ask questions that you come up with from that too.

Some respect should be shown to the thread starter, he has already accomplished what many of you can only dream of.

You're going to have to cut your calories, its about as simple as that from my perspective. Ive lost quite a bit of weight in my life time, and I can only speak from my experience. Alot of people are going to give you some text book answers, while never actually having to shed 10 pounds in their lives.

Its about what you eat, and how much you eat. Im pretty sure you're getting a good workout and often enough that if the weight is still an issue the next logical step in my eyes is to view your source of food, the portions etc.

Be careful dropping to much weight at once too, there could be a significant decrease in your conditioning if you do it in an inappropriate manner.

It never looks good to fall out of a PT run brother.

The best advice I could give, would to see a dietician or specialty physician and discuss your goals and problems. But ultimately, its about you. You either want to drop the weight, or you dont. Often times, you have to hit rock bottom before you decide to pick yourself up. So its all about your mentality, you either want to do it or you dont.

Heres to you becoming a PT monster.

Semper Fi

thats a load of crap, when i was in the military there was always baked fish and chicken and it tasted like crap.

eat a shitload of that stuff, and stay away from the fried foods, mashed potatoes, and all the lasagna.
inhale the free fruit and salad you get, pile on the green beans, eat the shitty baked fish and chicken, grab a yogurt and your meal is set.

however, you probably eat french fries, burgers, pizza, the shitty ravioli, and burger king.

you know how to eat correct (i hate when people say they don't know how to eat well), youre just too lazy to do so.

the military always has shitty tasting food that is healthy, you just avoid it and pretend it doesn't exist.

there is a rule about military food, if it tastes good, it is bad for you
if it tastes bad, it is good for you.

I just wanna say Thanks to everybody. Flex,Ronnin,BigBadfozDogg.TjT and everybody with their support and advice. I know it seems like such an easy problem but I dont know why I was being a such dummy. I didnt think about all them nights drinking, partying and eating afterwards. I only thought about what I did on the weekdays. Such an idiot.
Eat healtheir.
Run more.
Lift heavier.
Bitch less.
Simple.
My E.R.L.B.S.

Let me clue you in on something son. one you don't talk shit on those that have walked the walk before you. Those gunnies talk to you like that, because until you are in shape you are a liability in combat. It's that simple. They can and will kick you out for the "fat boy program" as we call it. Its a discharge with reason stated as to "inability to adapt". The sandbox isn't fun.

He didn't bitch about going through it, he was asking what's up with your CO and NCOIC. I appreciate your service, and I have a lot of respect for marines, but you know better than to come off that way to a former marine or any combat vert for that matter.

Apologize to him, and I will help you, don't and I won't. Look around here. I can get that weight to their standards within 12 weeks. Up to you.

Sometimes the chow hall can be frustrating in its inability to provide healthy chow, but it's workable. Breakfast is solid. You can always get eggs, fruit, and veggies.
Lunch and dinner are more difficult, but there's almost always cottage cheese available for the times that the options are pizza or a hot dog (that would always piss me off).
For other times of the day, I had a George Foreman grill and a microwave. I'd cook up chicken breasts and load up on fruit and frozen veggies so I could snack on that. The commisarry on Foster is a pain in the ass to get to, so I went through a lot of tuna and beef jerky when I was at Hansen.
In the end, it's about doing what you need to in order to get what you want. You do the work and stay disciplined, and you'll get the results. Until than, you're going to have your fellow Marines pissed off at you, because you don't meet standards.

Kody, I don't need an apology for myself, internet BS isn't that important to me. However, I'd recommend taking Vedic up on his offer.

I got out of the Marines in '94, and I'd give anything to have had the nutritional info back then that is available for free on this board. My company gunny's advice on weight loss was horrible. I won't tell you what it was, cause I don't want you to try it, though. Let's just say that it worked, but also probably contributed to me being undernourished and getting injured.

Stewy also just gave you some good advice. I know you don't make good money, horrible in fact, but a Foreman Grill & a microwave are pretty cheap and you can get plenty of healthy plain food @ the commissary. Just use the money you would have otherwise spent partying & eating afterward on those and some good food. You'll feel 100x better and probably end up saving some money too.

EDIT: Maybe undernourished isn't the word I should use, but it was unhealthy in so many ways it's scary to me now to even think about.

unless he's getting paid seperate rations, i wouldn't recommend he pay for food, since he's probably an e3.

like others said, its not that hard to eat healthy.
morning ; grab 3 hard boiled eggs, get a omelette with onion ham and tomatoes.
eat some cottage cheese or yogurt, a banana and cantaloupes or melon (they always have those fruit available 24/7).

lunch: MRE's (jk). baked chicken or (2portions) green beans and a nice small salad with kidney beans and all the other dark colored vegetables that are at the salad bar.

dinner: baked fish or chicken, same shit as lunch.

yah its boring, and not optimal, but i guarantee that what im listing is 10x better than what he's eating, and no matter what else changes on the menu day to day the stuff i listed is there every day (atleast when i was in).

and vedic, atleast in the army when i left, people flagged for being overweight were not getting kicked out. i've seen people with 24% body fat get flagged and harassed all the time, but one thing is, they weren't getting chaptered out. military is in a bind for recruits, dunno if its like that for the marines, since i hear they dont really have problems recruiting, but in the army, the last time i remember someone getting chaptered for weight was like in 2000/2001.

Before I started to gain weight (on purpose after I started lifting) I lost about 25 pounds at a rate of 2-3 pounds a week. I think what most people have said so far holds true. Eating healthy is a start but that wasn't the only answer when I was losing weight. I followed Berardi's Seven Habits when I lost weight AND I cut my calories. So, the three keys for me were the following:

1. Exercise Regularly (I don't think this will be a problem for you)

2. Cut Calories

3. Follow Seven Habits
- Eat every 2-3 hours
- Eat veggies and protein with every meal etc.

unless he's getting paid seperate rations, i wouldn't recommend he pay for food, since he's probably an e3.

Yeah, but I think it might be a decent idea to have something for those times like stewy said when the chow hall choices are something like pizza & hot dogs, or similar. I don't mean like a fridge full of T-bones, but some cans of tuna and frozen chicken breasts in reserve wouldn't hurt.

he can't do the 2-3 hour eating thing unless he stocks up on expensive protein bars which he probably really can't afford.

he's at best, able to go 4, which is breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night protein shake or something of that nature.

i think he's ok with 3 (free) meals, afterall he's poor and not looking to be a men's health cover model, just looking to get his body fat at an acceptable level to where his ncoic isn't gonna yell at him.

another way to shut ur ncoic up is to score a higher pt score than him (unless he's on a permanent profile). that usually takes some (not all) of the heat off (they'll scrutinize the other fatboys more) if you are overweight.

Yeah, but I think it might be a decent idea to have something for those times like stewy said when the chow hall choices are something like pizza & hot dogs, or similar. I don't mean like a fridge full of T-bones, but some cans of tuna and frozen chicken breasts in reserve wouldn't hurt.

yah thats true. cause there's alot of times i didn't goto the dfac and instead bought burger king lol. he can afford to stock up on some reserve healthy food for sure and it is a good idea to.

i was just thinking it would be hard to do it all the time for most of his meals.

Back