• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Maria Butina Pleads Guilty to Working on Behalf of the Kremlin Through the NRA

No clear benefit to Russia? They hated Hillary Clinton and believed that they would receive more favorable treatment from anyone other than her. They wanted the sanctions gone, they wanted a lighter touch on international affairs, they wanted some influence in how we reach our decisions. Even if they can't articulate a specific policy goal, that's not the point of influence. The point of influence is be able to shape those outcomes for future events in your favor. And on the international geopolitical stage, even small shifts can have significant and lasting impacts.

And how anyone can bitch about MSM bias but pretend that WikiLeaks is a trustworthy and neutral source blows my mind. Months and months of "MSM doesn't tell you the whole story, they spin the news." followed by "That organization that I know nothing about, no one I know knows anyone there, they who have no accountability to me or my nation...I'm certain that they are telling me the whole story and never spin what they present." It's the biggest crock of shit.

I'm going to call it as I see it. People disliked Hillary Clinton so much that they simply did not care how she lost, even if it meant ignoring obvious signs of foreign government interference and attempting manipulation of the outcomes. They hated her more than they loved the sovereignty of their country. And everything after that is just trying to excuse it by pretending that all things are equal so that they don't have to face their own hypocrisy about the sanctity of sovereigty.

These are same people who'll scream and yell about the importance of nation-states on trade and border control to control who/what enters our nation while saying it's okay to shill for a foreign government. Nope, I can't cosign that bullshit.
These guys are dopes. <DisgustingHHH>

What exactly is "this"? The lawyers in this thread don't seem to be able to say what crime the NRA committed.
Does what they did have to be a crime, isn't it traitorous on its face?

Do you think this looks good, do you think this is something that should have happened?
How can you be okay with this?

No, her offense was not a failure to register her activities. Not registering turned her activities into crimes. She didn't register her intentions. Not a crime. She proceeded to act while knowing that she wasn't registered - that is a crime.

You can try to downplay it but I don't know why. This law exists so that we can prosecute foreign spies on our soil.

But I get it. This is in keeping with the sad theme of trumpeting "Protect our nation and our sovereignty" while whispering "Our nation's sovereign integrity doesn't really matter if it's sold for the right price." Lotta Benedict Arnold sympathizers out there. You guys probably would have shot Paul Revere's horse to keep him from riding out, lol.

What are you so heated about? Relax. I was correct. She failed to register her activities.

Fair enough, if the NRA (which didn't appear to have a STRONGER effect than in the past elections, they seem to be losing clout if anything) actually did anything to 'destabilize' the US
Go sit at the kiddy table with your whimsies. :p

Does what they did have to be a crime, isn't it traitorous on its face?

Do you think this looks good, do you think this is something that should have happened?
How can you be okay with this?

Are you able to say what specific behaviors they engaged in that are traitorous? I understand you've cast judgment. I'm just asking you to fully articulate what you're basing said judgment on. Too much to ask when insisting I condemn an entire group of people?

All good pts, but to consider (just spitballing here):
Russia is still ostensibly opposed to China/N. Korea, and they certainly seem to fit w/ the older GOP regarding Identity Politics

Given that we are the two largest producers of oil/gas in the world, I could theoretically see them thinking we could form some cabal to rival OPEC or something and inflate/deflate oil prices as they see fit. Russia, afterall, does provide Europe with much/most of its oil/gas.

Also, militarily they are a joke compared to us now especially in regards to usable equipment, so the former threat isn't really a physical threat anymore
Wrong. They more closely allied with China when the stiff sanctions kicked in. The North Koreans sure have advanced their nuclear program greatly since Obama left office. It's quite possible they received help from a nuclear capable country. And if the Russians wanted they could just join OPEC. Their nuclear arsenal is a threat not only to us but the whole human race.

Are you able to say what specific behaviors they engaged in that are traitorous? I understand you've cast judgment. I'm just asking you to fully articulate what you're basing said judgment on. Too much to ask when insisting I condemn an entire group of people?
The NRA going to Russia for help and entwining themselves with an enemy of the State.

“Several prominent Russians, some in President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle or high in the Russian Orthodox Church, now have been identified as having contact with National Rifle Association officials during the 2016 U.S. election campaign, according to photographs and an NRA source,” Peter Stone and Greg Gordon of McClatchy write. “The contacts have emerged amid a deepening Justice Department investigation into whether Russian banker and lifetime NRA member Alexander Torshin illegally channeled money through the gun rights group to add financial firepower to Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential bid.”

Don't you think this is queer?

Did I think you were a Muslim woman? I honestly don't recall, but bring it up if you can find it.

Are you? Because I have no idea. I thought you were a man.
You sound like Trump after he grabbed a pussy but felt some nuts. <{fry}>

What are you so heated about? Relax. I was correct. She failed to register her activities.
Nothing heated about it, just doing God's work and pointing out that you're wrong.

With redaction you know that something is missing. And if it's a problem when the fed does it then it can't suddenly a trustworthy action when someone else does it.
I can't wait til we see what Mueller redacted. :D

Nothing heated about it, just doing God's work and pointing out that you're wrong.

I've looked at the indictment, I've read the statutes the she allegedly violated. She got in trouble for failing to register activities with the AG, which is exactly what I said. You can disagree with me all you want.

Et tu cubo? :(

What can I say, I like to hear what the evidence is before convicting. The lawyers in this thread can't even articulate exactly what the problem is. Give me something of substance to work with here.

The NRA going to Russia for help and entwining themselves with an enemy of the State.

“Several prominent Russians, some in President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle or high in the Russian Orthodox Church, now have been identified as having contact with National Rifle Association officials during the 2016 U.S. election campaign, according to photographs and an NRA source,” Peter Stone and Greg Gordon of McClatchy write. “The contacts have emerged amid a deepening Justice Department investigation into whether Russian banker and lifetime NRA member Alexander Torshin illegally channeled money through the gun rights group to add financial firepower to Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential bid.”

Don't you think this is queer?

If people in the NRA conspired to launder money then I expect criminal charges. Anything else of specific concern you can direct me to? We aren't at war with Russia. People are free to travel to and fro and do business. Is Russia the only foreign country the NRA has ties to gun rights organizations in?

Back