• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

• Total voters
Mike Tyson has a worse resume outside the cage. Far worse.

I don't think that's really relevant when analyzing just how Good Mike was at his peak either.

This isn't the ultimate personality championships

A lot of fighters are crazy, polarizing humans who are chaos embodied. This has been the case since fighting has existed.

They're warriors.

Add cameras, no privacy and the vices and vultures of Hollywood into the mix.. you have a recipe that would make a lot of people look pretty bad.

People that believe they're these virtuous judges looking down on these athletes or public figures would be swallowed whole by like 10% of what they deal with.

Those things need to be separated.
Let’s not make it sound like it’s Jon’s fuckups outside the cage that are getting in the way of his GOAT status.

Gsp. I think he had more quality wins.

Jones is close. I'm not counting the DC 2nd fight since he popped. If I did count it, he's probably #1 then. I don't think Gustasfsson should have gotten the 2nd rematch. He got a win vs Glover and was almost out 2 years and got the title shot. He proceeded to never win another fight.

I counted the quality wins of each I think Gsp had like 20 and Jones 18. Something like that, I forgot the exact number.

Seems like yourself and many hate Jones too much for your opinion to be worth much anyways.

A goat poll isn't about how much a fighter hurt your feelings

Or how much you dislike their personality

It's about who is, objectively, the greatest fighter who has ever fought in the sport.

Who has accomplished the most, has the most impressive resume.

I think a lot of fans are disqualified by this basis alone.

What nakes a fighter great is a subjective matter though. You can use objective feats to argue your case for who you think is the greatest and make a compelling case doing so, but at the end it's still subjective.

Last edited:
Think of it like this.
Prime Jones vs Prime Fedor, who wins? Fedor.

#1. Fedor
2. Jones

3.. Silva/GSP/MM etc.

Very close race between Fedor and Jones.

What nakes a fighter great is a subjective matter though. You can use objective feats to argue your case for who you think is the greatest and make a compelling case doing so, but at the end it's still subjective.

This is true

Seems like yourself and many hate Jones too much for your opinion to be worth much anyways.

A goat poll isn't about how much a fighter hurt your feelings

Or how much you dislike their personality

It's about who is, objectively, the greatest fighter who has ever fought in the sport.

Who has accomplished the most, has the most impressive resume.

I think a lot of fans are disqualified by this basis alone.
It sounds like you'll think any thought that lets you discard criticisms of Jones and attack the people criticizing him.

Fedor for me personally but GSP and Jon Jones have a solid case.

It sounds like you'll think any thought that lets you discard criticisms of Jones and attack the people criticizing him.
Outside the cage antics have nothing to do with analyzing a fighter's skill.

There's countless cases of fighters, even athletes in general being involved in crazy shit outside their sport.

But that's another discussion entirely.

Jones derangement syndrome is also a very real thing.

Both of these things just muddy the waters of anything accurate and rational.

Imagine how far ahead Jones would be if people were looking at the actual fighting.

Outside the cage antics have nothing to do with analyzing a fighter's skill.

There's countless cases of fighters, even athletes in general being involved in crazy shit outside their sport.

But that's another discussion entirely.

Jones derangement syndrome is also a very real thing.

Both of these things just muddy the waters of anything accurate and rational.
Yes, you'll think any thought that lets you ignore the various forms of cheating that benefit his performance inside the cage.

Yes, you'll think any thought that lets you ignore the various forms of cheating that benefit his performance inside the cage.
Eye pokes in a simulated fight to the death aren't the determining factor whether I have someone on that list.

I don't condone them, but its also grasping at straws at best, when compared with an overall resume. Especially on that level of competition and accomplishment.

And I've personally long since accepted that all our favorite athletes in all sports are using something. Again, not condoning, but it's a reality of sports at the highest level that we all need to come to terms with.

Everyone's on steroids, there's only one Jon Jones.

There should be a separate poll for Greatest MMA Fighters in the Cage vs in the Ring.

Fedor is the GOAT of the Ring, GSP is the GOAT of the Cage.

Eye pokes in a simulated fight to the death aren't the determining factor whether I have someone on that list.

I don't condone them, but its also grasping at straws at best, when compared with an overall resume. Especially on that level of competition and accomplishment.

And I've personally long since accepted that all our favorite athletes in all sports are using something. Again, not condoning, but it's a reality of sports at the highest level that we all need to come to terms with.

Everyone's on steroids, there's only one Jon Jones.
Yes, we know you'll explain these things away any way you can. We understand you have low standards because of your love for Jones. You don't need to keep telling us.

Yes, we know you'll explain these things away any way you can. We understand you have low standards because of your love for Jones. You don't need to keep telling us.
Personally, I could hate him with my life and soul and I'd say the exact same things. My personal feelings are irrelevant.

I care to analyze his skill, talent, potential, attributes, career, opposition and accomplishments as objectively as possible.

That's it.

And focusing on shit like eye pokes, while ignoring everything I've listed is just shit, emotionally influenced analysis.

Seems the opposite is true. You're so invested in disliking the man that emotion is getting in the way of being rational.

Instead you're choosing to cherry pick details that align with personal biases rather than consider the whole picture.

It's normal though.. that's how most people operate. Inherently human things.

But this stuff has to be approached cold to produce anything accurate.

That's why a distinction needs to be made between the art and the artist, it aims to remove that emotional link which tends to muddy the waters.

Personally, I could hate him with my life and soul and I'd say the exact same things. My personal feelings are irrelevant.

I care to analyze his skill, talent, potential, attributes, career, opposition and accomplishments as objectively as possible.

That's it.

And focusing on shit like eye pokes, while ignoring everything I've listed is just shit, emotionally influenced analysis.

Seems the opposite is true. You're so invested in disliking the man that emotion is getting in the way of being rational.

Instead you're choosing to cherry pick details that align with personal biases rather than consider the whole picture.

It's normal though.. that's how most people operate. Inherently human things.

But this stuff has to be approached cold to produce anything accurate.

That's why a distinction needs to be made between the art and the artist, it aims to remove that emotional link which tends to muddy the waters.
Why am I not surprised that the person accusing others of Jones Derangement Syndrome is also the same person spamming messages about the lies they tell themselves (like everyone cheats like Jones did)? :rolleyes:

Jog on, weirdo.

Why am I not surprised that the person accusing others of Jones Derangement Syndrome is also the same person spamming messages about the lies they tell themselves (like everyone cheats like Jones did)? :rolleyes:

Jog on, weirdo.
Once you've been around the sport for 20 years. It just becomes something you accept.

I started out vehemently against any form of PED.

But, ultimately, you come to accept that your favourite fighter is probably using.

People are free to believe whatever they want though.

That isnt just in combat sports. It's all sports. So, unless you want to stop watching any sport ever again, it just becomes something you acknowledge as a facet of the game at the highest levels.

Acting like Jones is some odd man out is silly.

It'd be great if they were all clean. But I live in reality and I actually think things through.

You should try it some time.

Back