March 5th card - Luis Ortiz vs Tony Thompson. Saddam Ali vs Jessie Vargas

cottagecheesefan

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Just announced by RingTV Instagram. Doesn't say TV network. I assume HBO.

King Kong vs the Tiger
Saddam Ali vs Jessie Vargas.

Takes place in DC. Used to live outside DC, and wish I was going to this :(

HBO boxing after dark march 5th.

I like Tony but he's getting crushed here.

I wish he was fighting a more currently relevant opponent but I'm glad his previous opponent pulling out didn't cancel the event altogether. Also Saddam Ali vs Jessie Vargas sounds great so that helps a lot.

A good card and a decent, qualified opponent for Oriz

Just announced by RingTV Instagram. Doesn't say TV network. I assume HBO.

King Kong vs the Tiger
Saddam Ali vs Jessie Vargas.

Takes place in DC. Used to live outside DC, and wish I was going to this :(
I think I'm going to go to this one. You've been to the DC Armory, if I buy cheap seats is there a good chance of moving up closer?

aw, Tony Thompson again? This is a step down from Ortiz's last fight.

Vargas vs Ali is pretty good though. That should be a good scrap.

I think I'm going to go to this one. You've been to the DC Armory, if I buy cheap seats is there a good chance of moving up closer?

I went for Peterson vs Khan, and it was almost sold out, so little chance. Khan has a huge following in and around DC, I was very surprised. I wouldn't know what to expect from this event. I would think it is pretty hard, if anything like Khans fight.

edit: we had the cheapest seats, but could see fine. Relatively small venue.

I went for Peterson vs Khan, and it was almost sold out, so little chance. Khan has a huge following in and around DC, I was very surprised. I wouldn't know what to expect from this event. I would think it is pretty hard, if anything like Khans fight.

edit: we had the cheapest seats, but could see fine. Relatively small venue.
I just checked, and the cheap seats are $25. Maybe I'll just grab those ones.

Head 2 head with UFCs biggest card of the year?

Not a bright move

Well went to a brew house/pub before hand. Either dogfish head or dominion, it was in walking distance. Was a fun night out. Parked at college Park metro

I saw Hopkins/Shumenov there. For that fight, you could have bought the cheapest tickets and moved down some. Good venue for cheap seats though, ours were like $40 back then and we could see great. I'm getting some cheap seats with some friends as well. If you are driving there is plenty of parking. They are opening the gates at 3 pm, even though the HBO card doesn't start until 10pm. I'm guessing there will be actual fights starting around 5pm, which is always cool. Ali was on the undercard of the Hopkins fight, so its cool to see him again.

I'm more excited to see Ali/Vargas than anything. I think Ali is talented, but this is a big step up. I had Bradley/Vargas as 116-112, and Bradley is a Top 20 or so PFP guy. I think it's going to be close, but Vargas takes it.

aw, Tony Thompson again? This is a step down from Ortiz's last fight.

Vargas vs Ali is pretty good though. That should be a good scrap.

Yeah a slight step down but pretty good for a replacement opponent.

Ortiz fights Jennings and Thompson in his last two fights, but Wilder fights Duhaupas, Molina and Szpilka. Who is the real HW champ anyway?

Meh fight.
Thompson looked awful against Scott, Ortiz runs through him.

Poor Ali, his promoter is Arum's bitch.
He'll have no trouble with Vargas.

Purty good. I'll pick Ali over Vargas

I like Sadam Ali, but why do you think he beats Vargas? Ali isn't a huge puncher, and he does get hit too much for my liking. I think he's a well rounded fighter, but he doesn't do anything especially well. I like his stamina and jab though. Vargas has seen better competition, and was competitive (in my opinion) with Bradley, who is quite a bit better than Ali. I think Bradley beats Pacquaio this time actually. Ali has a tendency to get complacent, and I think that will cost him the fight. I'm not exactly confident in my prediction though, so its going to be a nice fight to see live.

Back