Marcelo Garcia: The X-Guard Review

Alphahunter742

White Belt
Reaction score
Marcelo Garcia: The X-Guard​

Introduction​
Marcelo Garcia is perhaps one of the greatest Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners in modern times. He has conquered a multitude of competitions around the world, often dominating his competition from start to finish. He generally uses the guard quite frequently and, due to his relatively small build, uses sweeps much more than others competing at the same level. In my view, this is what makes him distinctly unique and special amongst the traditional

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to get my hands on this book.

Just picked up the book. Didn't get to study it much but it looks good.

Thank you for taking the time in giving a very detailed review. I also got the book but I haven't had a chance to look at all the techniques.

As a beginner, I find the first section of the book (establishing and breaking grips and butterfly guard sweeps) very useful. I do agree with you that the x-guard seems harder to add to your game if you don't have solid fundamental base. It's still good to know about it though.

Thanks again.

i have the book and i think its ok. i wish it had a little half guard in it and a little more butterflyguard.on a scale of 1 to 10 i give it a 6

It's helped me to think of the x-guard as an advance on the butterfly guard.

I have been using the butterfly guard a lot in my academy. I'm built like MG (5'6, ~155lbs/70kg), so it suits my game. I have nearly exhausted the butterfly sweep that is used in Garcia's system. Everyone in the academy knows that if they let my hooks in, they are swept. So, they fight the hooks for dear life. They'll let me get one hook, but never two. They never let me get double under-hooks either. They all know what's coming.

That's where the x-guard comes in. If you can get one hook, you can establish the x-guard. It's the next step, which is why this book has such a great layout.

The x-guard has quite a natural set-up from the butterfly guard. It's like pulling out a pistol when the assult rifle is out of ammo (that's how I think of it, anyway).

For those deep half guard lovers, x-guard plays well into that, esspecially if you use knees and elbows to brace your opponent. It's something I've been playing around with. Deep half is quite easy to dive in to.

I think this book, and Garcia's system in general, is GREAT for anyone that enjoys the butterfly guard and wants to have other options as well.

Also, if you have shorter legs and struggle to keep people in your closed guard because of it, the butterfly, x-guard, and deep half become your go-to guards for control. If that's you- this is a great book.

Marcelo weighs more than 155 lbs. He weighs about 180 lbs when he competes.

yeah...marcelo's no feather/lightweight. He is stocky, and I mean stocky for a person 5'7~ish. I met him at the World's this year. I was surprised on his actually frame in person. :redface:

Back