Marathons

Mooney

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For obvious reasons I understand why marathons aren't a popular topic here. This thread is not about discussing the pros and cons of running 26.2 miles.

On the other hand I've just finished my first, and have "got the bug" so to speak. Will probably do a few more. For many reasons I didn't train well for this one (longest run was 15 miles). Finished just under 4hrs (3:56). Want to aim for 3:30 next time, what was your training experience like for those who have ran the distance?

I ran a 3:30:59 marathon last year and recorded the last few weeks of my training in ''Latflare's Log''. On my phone so can't link it.

It's pretty obvious you want a pat on the back, so congratulations. Seriously, it's quite a feat to complete one of those blasted things.

Ha, what ^^^ Carbon said. But yeah, nice work on the marathon. Surprised you were able to post that time without having ran >15mi in your long runs. You often hear it's around ~mi 20 that novice marathoners will hit the wall(glycogen depletion, I think).

Anyway, I've never ran one, but I'll be doing my fourth half-marathon a next Saturday. Every time I run one, or a similar distance, I can't conceive that there are people out there who double, triple, quadruple, etc that distance on a run.

Congrats man. Farthest I ever ran was a half marathon. Around the 11 mile mark, I saw god. He was laughing at me.

:)

I ran a 3:30:59 marathon last year and recorded the last few weeks of my training in ''Latflare's Log''. On my phone so can't link it.

Thanks this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for actually

Surprised you were able to post that time without having ran >15mi in your long runs. You often hear it's around ~mi 20 that novice marathoners will hit the wall(glycogen depletion, I think)

I did train alot, just distance runs were very limited due to a recurring injury (from doing too much distance too soon in training, hence looking for others experiences!). Need to work on my running form. I also got good advice on nutrition and gels etc which probably had a big part to play in not hitting "the wall".

Congratulations on completing the marathon. I have zero desire to do one of those things, but have friends and family who have done / do them. Good luck for your next one.

I haven't ran more than a mile continuously since I was in middle school.

^^^ It sucks.

Although I probably wouldn't anyway, I can't run more than 3 miles before my knee starts going crazy. So I am quite jealous and rather respectful of you completing that much running. Kudos.

good job and solid time for your first shot. My first one was stupid, I got talked into it and only "trained" about a month....I finished in 4:45ish and got a stress fracture in my foot that I didnt feel until standing up from the post "race" meal.

I got down to 2:52 over a few years but never got better than that. I sort of moved on to longer AND shorter stuff as my focus like 5-10ks and 50k-50mile stuff. Love running.

Again, good job man, sub 4 for the first time, theres a lot of people that will hate you for that.

good job and solid time for your first shot. My first one was stupid, I got talked into it and only "trained" about a month....I finished in 4:45ish and got a stress fracture in my foot that I didnt feel until standing up from the post "race" meal.

I got down to 2:52 over a few years but never got better than that. I sort of moved on to longer AND shorter stuff as my focus like 5-10ks and 50k-50mile stuff. Love running.

Again, good job man, sub 4 for the first time, theres a lot of people that will hate you for that.

Thanks man. A 2:52 marathon is a very impressive feat, congrats!

Coincidentally yesterday and today I've been suffering with a sharp pain on the outside of my left foot that I'm really hoping is just peroneal tendon irritation and not a stress fracture. Will know more over the next few days.

I done most of my training runs on the fell, running off road with big hills/elevation which I think is part of the reason I manged the full distance in a decent time with limited long-distance training runs as the marathon itself was very flat.

Thanks man. A 2:52 marathon is a very impressive feat, congrats!

Coincidentally yesterday and today I've been suffering with a sharp pain on the outside of my left foot that I'm really hoping is just peroneal tendon irritation and not a stress fracture. Will know more over the next few days.

I done most of my training runs on the fell, running off road with big hills/elevation which I think is part of the reason I manged the full distance in a decent time with limited long-distance training runs as the marathon itself was very flat.

I bet you're right about the hills, Hills always help wether its running or biking, I think doing lots of hills is the quickest way to get strong. BEfore doing my first 50k my friend told me HILLS, HILLS, HILLS. Like you I didnt get my milage where I really wanted it but I still finished pretty solidly, I think it was the hills.

Back