• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Man injures opponent with flying scissor; Reddit thread discusses the idea of suing him

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
The thread in question:

As someone who used to do similar moves all the time when I competed and never hurt anyone like that, its sort of funny to hear people talking about someone being potentially sued for doing a move similar to one of my favorites. People in the thread talk about the idea that the scissor should be banned completely, even in ADCC. Just wanted to get other people's thoughts.

Riley Bodycomb used to hit these all the time and probably still does and he never hurt anyone, for whatever it is worth. I usually did it like more of a broomstick/roll even when I intended to do a scissor when I competed, but I've hit plenty in practice and the idea of provoking such a reaction in case something went wrong--because something can always go wrong in any combat sport--is disconcerting to consider.

I do think there are safe ways to perform the move and dangerous ways. You can use the move almost entirely as a means of dropping into a submission position, where you don't "scissor" the legs at all with a cutting motion, you can use your arm in place of the back leg as they do in folkstyle wrestling, you can use your knee to go in the back of the opponent's knee instead of cutting with your whole back leg...lots of things. So I absolutely think people should consider that when they consider the viability of the manuever.

I had a training partner that used to do this all the time in karate demonstrations over 20 years ago. I never thought of it as particularly dangerous back then. I also knew and mostly trusted this person. If it was a banned move then the person should not have attempted it. However, if you are competing and sign a waiver that says you might be injured you should honor that. Suing because of getting injured is not something I would do. If it was I would have multiple lawsuits still on going.

Reddit is the stupidest, most triggered place on the entire internet, filled with soft brained leftists.

If anyone should be sued, it should be a class action suit against their parents and teachers from the rest of us.

I actually like the most recent supreme court ruling, but reddit is the best argument that the sc made the wrong decision.

Pay no attention to those wokelings.

John Danaher is basically a dormant serial killer, and even he has banned the move in his classes. Just something to consider.
Fair enough, though Tonon and Ryan have used the move tons of times, Tonon most memorably in ADCC.

I hate the idea of hurting people and have used variations of the move tons of times and taught it too. Reilly Bodycomb isn't big on hurting guys and he uses it all the time. I guess my big issue is people not realizing that the move is perfectly safe depending on its execution as well as how you take it. Fadzaev did it in freestyle all the time and never seemed to hurt anyone.

Reddit is the stupidest, most triggered place on the entire internet, filled with soft brained leftists.

If anyone should be sued, it should be a class action suit against their parents and teachers from the rest of us.

I actually like the most recent supreme court ruling, but reddit is the best argument that the sc made the wrong decision.

Pay no attention to those wokelings.
I think the most absurd part is their vilification of all grappling applications of the move and of similar moves or moves that involve a similar approach. One of them even said that BJJ is supposed to be about the gradual application of pressure or something to that effect. There are a million approaches to any combat sport, which is part of the point, doggone it.

Why not exactly? If i decide to kick you in the nuts in the middle of the match (also a move that isn't allowed) and injure your testicles seriously, your answer is what? Too bad deal with it?

Yeah, that's exactly my answer.
You're in a competition, shit happens.

Don't like it, don't compete.

Yeah, that's exactly my answer.
You're in a competition, shit happens.

Don't like it, don't compete.
Lol I was expecting an intelligent answer. I should have known better. So now signing up to compete in a grappling match with specific rules means I can be assaulted with no consequences. Ya ok lol. Shit happens only applies to accidents. We aren't talking about accidents.

Lol I was expecting an intelligent answer. I should have known better. So now signing up to compete in a grappling match with specific rules means I can be assaulted with no consequences. Ya ok lol. Shit happens only applies to accidents. We aren't talking about accidents.
No-one said you "can be assaulted with no consequences", just that suing is a pathetic move made by pathetic losers that runs counter to the ethos of competition.

I think you guys are forgetting the part that the move wasn't even legal at this comp?

Im not saying sueing is the right way forward but christ the guys knee is fucked now.

You can do that move safely if you post your hand on the ground- exactly how Gary tonen does it.

There have been numerous incidents of this takedown/entry injuring people recently, at comps like grappling industries its allowed so I guess the whole" you signed up for it, you knew the risk" is definitely applicable there.

Any move is potentially dangerous. I had a teammate dislocate his elbow trying to break his fall off a single leg in HS. I injured my neck rolling out of an omaplata. Bad position, placement, timing just happen some small percentage of the time.

The reason scissors are considered specifically dangerous by some is that it's an explosive move and there's no time to defend. The first sign of trouble is the injury itself.

If leg attacks or specifically scissor takedowns are banned in that tournament it does make an ugly situation. It doesn't help that every tournament seems to have their own set of rules often changing by age, weight, and belt. I'd hope this was an honest mistake. It happened fast enough that you can't really expect the ref to prevent it.

There does need to be some repercussions for an illegal move resulting in injury.

Back