Making Dragon Flags more intense

Reakt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any ideas? will adding weight to my ankles compromise my lower back?

are they easy for you? Can you do 3 sets of 12 with strict form? Dragon flags, if done correctly are pretty intense without any resistance......if your really need more try doing it on a slight incline or with boots on, id be careful with the ankle weights though

Yeah man they should be intense as hell as they are. I would be fricking sure that you are doing them by the book hardcore before looking into harder options. Can you do standing ab-wheel roolouts to?

Yeh i can do 3x12 with strict form with shoes on, feet all the way to the bottom, i've been working these at least all year maby longer, there still hard but not hard enough you know. Now i need to take them a step further and do lower reps, i got an ab wheel about a month ago still working on getting standing roll outs tho.

So you think ankle weights will be safe for the lower back for sure?

If you can do 3x12, then using ankle weights should be fine. If you can start with them higher on your legs, to reduce the torque, and progress to your ankles as you get stronger.

Ankle weights can blow your lower back when doing flags. If you want to use ankle weights, strap the weights either below or above your Knee. Instead you can always squeeze a Medicine ball or a Swiss Ball between your legs while your doing the Flags. Remember to stay real tight during the lift.

I really don't think that light ankle weights are going to blow out your back. but he's right, holding a medicine ball in-between your legs (or ankles) is another good way to add weight.

I don't understand why ankle weights would be more likely to blow out your back than holding a medicine ball between your legs. They're two different forms of resistance, one is further down your legs and so the leverage is greater, but ankle weights would be lighter than a medicine ball so the increased leverage would be negated.

If you can do 3x12 Dragon Flags, with strict, proper form, then you don't have to worry about ankle weights...the only thing you need to worry about is Kryptonite.

I don't understand why ankle weights would be more likely to blow out your back than holding a medicine ball between your legs. They're two different forms of resistance, one is further down your legs and so the leverage is greater, but ankle weights would be lighter than a medicine ball so the increased leverage would be negated.

Weights being lighter or heavy does not matter. That extra leverage of the ankle increases much more torque and pressure on the spine. I would have to re visit my Stuart McGill's book "Lower Back Disorder" to find you extra info on the subject. Great book..

Duncon76 said:
Weights being lighter or heavy does not matter. That extra leverage of the ankle increases much more torque and pressure on the spine. I would have to re visit my Stuart McGill's book "Lower Back Disorder" to find you extra info on the subject. Great book..

If you can be bothered, I'd appreciate it, because I really don't see your point

The weight used, and the leverage, both contribute to how much pressure is put on the body and spine. A heavier weight halfway along a lever could produce more pressure than a lighter weight on the end of the lever. It's a function of weight and leverage. Hence I don't see that a lighter weight on the ankles is more dangerous than a heavier weight on the knees

excuse my dumbassness, I searched on google and couldn't find anything so I'll just ask:

What are dragon flags?

Back