Makeshift Pullup Bar

threelions

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Right i work out at home(local gyms are both expensive and almost all machine only) but im desperate for a pull up bar. Never trusted those door frame ones and dont have room for the equipment ive seen so far, i used to have some stuff in the local park i could use but local kids have pulled that down. So i was thinking, if i invest in some sturdy Squat stands i could put a barbell across them and lift my legs up to do pull ups and also use it for dips. So anyone tried this? Or even better have any ideas for a home made pull up bar or know any decent UK shops that sell one suitable for home use?

i used a tree branch for quite some time.

I was thinking about making my own. Take like a 2 2x6's (or wider if you think it will make it safter) and take a like 2x12 and but it in half. Screw each half to the bottom of the 2x4 so it looks like an upside down T. Then take a pull up bar you buy from a sports store, and screw it inbetween them as if it was a door way. You can add some more wood and stuff to make it more stable.

Then when you are done with it, you can pop the bar out, and store the whole thing under a bed or somewhere out of the way.

I occasionally just find a good sturdy limb on a tree and do pullups, and I have a weird spiral staircase that I can do them on as well....maybe thats why I have really good grip strength though, from doing my pullups mountain-man style, hahaha...

AxeGrinder said:
I occasionally just find a good sturdy limb on a tree and do pullups, and I have a weird spiral staircase that I can do them on as well....maybe thats why I have really good grip strength though, from doing my pullups mountain-man style, hahaha...

moutain men who live in houses with spiral staircaes, yes

I sometimes use a highway overpass. The ledge is good for using the stabalizer muscles in your wrists and fingers as well. The only thing to be careful of is not going to failure of course...

"Do six things impossible before breakfast everyday,"-the Red Queen , Alice in Wonderland

PariahCarey said:
I sometimes use a highway overpass. The ledge is good for using the stabalizer muscles in your wrists and fingers as well. The only thing to be careful of is not going to failure of course...

"Do six things impossible before breakfast everyday,"-the Red Queen , Alice in Wonderland
Why not?

Ted-P said:
Well Ted going to failure on a highway pass would be dangerous of course. What if you cant' get up for the last rep? Its a long way down. And the highway is so packed with all the functional strength people pulling there cars with harnesses...why you know how it is...what can i say Ted huh? Its friday night, i"m broke, my girlfriends pissed off at me cause i told her i had plans for tommorrow (she found out those plans were the UFC thing and whoo talk about a cold response). but i can't wait!!! Cote by KTFO!...hope i didn't buzzkill the thread too much...i realize how effective functional strenght is but its going to take awhile before people see you doing chin-ups on a tree limb and not think, OOOOOOOhhhhhKKKKKKKKk.

PariahCarey said:
Well Ted going to failure on a highway pass would be dangerous of course. What if you cant' get up for the last rep? Its a long way down. And the highway is so packed with all the functional strength people pulling there cars with harnesses...why you know how it is...what can i say Ted huh? Its friday night, i"m broke, my girlfriends pissed off at me cause i told her i had plans for tommorrow (she found out those plans were the UFC thing and whoo talk about a cold response). but i can't wait!!! Cote by KTFO!...hope i didn't buzzkill the thread too much...i realize how effective functional strenght is but its going to take awhile before people see you doing chin-ups on a tree limb and not think, OOOOOOOhhhhhKKKKKKKKk.
So it would mean like one rep for me each set.

I would rather die than have sets with one rep involving something with BW. :redface:

Be a man and die trying. :wink:

Fedorable said:
moutain men who live in houses with spiral staircaes, yes

sarcasm is best when people think your serious....just like saying figure skating and being strong go hand-in-hand, harharharrr....

I just moved into an apartment recently and found that there is a park right across the street. There is no pullup bar and no trees that would work for me, but there is a swing set with the swings missing only part of the chain. So I made my own pullup bar that I can attack onto the swingset. I meant to take some pics of it and post them up here,b ut I forgot. I will take the pics this afternoon if I remember and get them on ehre sometime this week if I can.

Basically, my pullup bar now is 50 cm of heavy chain, just big enough to fit through the middle of a 1.25 inch pipe that is 45 cm long. It connedcts to the swing set with two large metal bolt type fasteres that I screw on and off each time.

I got to keep the other half meter of chain too and it is nvery heavy so my little invention doubles as a hammer strength trainer when I bolt the other half meter of chain onto one end, grip the pipe (with the chain inside) at one end and do hammer movement. It is probably about 7-8 pounds, but have it long like that with the chain hanging down gives it a good amount of leverage. I bet it would also make a nasty weapon when arranged like this too.

I will put up some pics when I get the chance.

Using fingers on door frames, is good, also really works out your forearms.

Get a steel rod(hollow), drill holes to accomodate two large(long and thick) bolts in either end, screw those in to the top of the door. Make sure the bolts are long enough to go through any door casing, and pentrate the two stacked 2x4's used to frame out the door.

I have something similar to this in my basement, but its screwed in to a floor joist

Back