Make a case for your faith/belief/worldview in 100 words or less

I don't know that answer to the ultimate question, but I do know that there is something, and not nothing, and because there is something, and not nothing, I think that's evidence enough of the existence of a higher power of some kind. I don't know what it is, or what kind of incarnation that power takes, but I do know that I would be more inclined to be an Atheist if there was, in fact, nothing, but there isn't. There is something, and it is great.

I don't know that answer to the ultimate question, but I do know that there is something, and not nothing, and because there is something, and not nothing, I think that's evidence enough of the existence of a higher power of some kind. I don't know what it is, or what kind of incarnation that power takes, but I do know that I would be more inclined to be an Atheist if there was, in fact, nothing, but there isn't. There is something, and it is great.

I was just saying that yesterday, shit would make a lot more sense if there was nothing.

Significance arises from those that place significance onto a thing which would be a matter of perspective.

I think it CAN be argued however that on the cosmic scale Earth and life on Earth is insignificant. If the universe is teeming with intelligent life on countless other planets would we still be considered significant by those that consider us so? On the cosmic level, life arising on some planet in some corner of some part of a galaxy that isn't particularly interesting to some is similar to a insect traversing a grain of sand on a beach. It's not the size that counts:D it's when you look at the whole, which we can't in this situation, you may see things from a perspective that changes how you'd view yourself, humanity, and earth.

Regardless of the significance coming from a certain perspective, it still needs to be subjected to an appropriate level of reasoning.

The question for me here isn't what's significant to an ant vs. what's significant to a human, it's WHY is something significant in the first place. What something looks like from a particular perspective is not a satisfying or complete answer, imo.

Last edited:
in short:

I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth. I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.

:)

That's actually a good point. The most complex thing in the known universe is inside our skulls. That could be a measure of significance. Organisms are the most complex things in the universe.

I'm glad you liked it. If you break down what I mentioned, it's basically everything, nothing, and the ability to make sense of it.

Wait...is that a trinity?

can you see the air you breathe?

We don't see many things, and not just intangibles like thoughts, or air, but things out senses aren't tuned for...such as the infrared spectrum

What's interesting is we are capable of science to prove them and tools to compensate

tumblr_m0r9naqwz31qfyvyto1_500.jpg

What Sagan says there isn't an opinion, it's a fact-fueled statement regarding our world's significance relative to the universe. Thusly, I can bend it to fit whatever I want as long as it makes sense.

Everything here is insignificant, best to be in it for the lulz.

Significance isn't measured in size.

Earth, as a planet, is no more numerous than any other planet in the universe. It's significance to the universe is obvious because it contains the only known intelligent life.

Be nice, achieve what you wish, cherish the moment, bang all the haters wives, and do not be a mother fucker. Mother fucker is too much.

It's okay to not know. The importance of life is up to you, and it's really not a big deal. Respect shared space. Lead with compassion. Don't pee in the swimming pool.

Significance isn't measured in size.

Earth, as a planet, is no more numerous than any other planet in the universe. It's significance to the universe is obvious because it contains the only known intelligent life.

Does it? Known to us, but we dont know crap about what's going on in most of the universe. And even if it did, does that have the slightest effect on what is happening in another galaxy? There might be a black hole or a super nova having a much more significant effect on the universe as a whole

We can talk of Jesus, Quantum Physics, Chaos Theory, The nature of man and how it all began, The Primordial Ooz, The Big Bang. We can pontificate on and on about what happens after we die, Heaven, Hell, or Nothing at all. We can decide if we are Republican or Democrat, Yankee or Mets Fans. At the end what does any of it matter, what does any of it mean? Complicating things is in our nature, nature itself is not. My faith and belief can be summed up in far less than 100 words.....ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE....

Jesus Christ's teaching explicitly contradicted your view here, thus your view is false.

You might contend that Christ's teachings were incorrect, but if so, which part of them was?

You initially created this thread for people to make a case about their faith/belief/worldview and you stated that your beliefs were the only belief, quite blatantly. (Take a look at your opening post if you think you were doing otherwise, you stated that you thought as absolutes rather than "hey guys, I think this, what do you think?".) That is why you received so much negative feedback from posters of a different paradigm belief.

Then, you received feedback from someone who actually took your thread title seriously and gave you a legitimate response and you flame them telling them that yours is right and their's is wrong? And you thought others were retorting with childish responses?

I believe everyone is entitled to their own belief system and I usually love discussion with others, even if I don't heavily agree with them, but this is why most people scrutinize Christians so often. This, right here. You make it a debate about how their belief system is flawed because your book written by cattle sacrificing, women trading barbarians says they are.

Maybe you should go read your bible, specifcally 2 Timothy 2:24.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Ass, cash, or grass.

disregardladies.daguerrotype

It's significance to the universe is obvious because it contains the only known intelligent life.

Earth's significance to the UNIVERSE? Are you fucking serious?

There are potentially trillions of other Earth's out there. LOL at your presumption that Earth is somehow important to the universe :rolleyes:

A million Earth-like planets have surely been created and destroyed already... statistically speaking, at least.

Your assumptions are why I hate human posturing. Earth is significant to Earth. And that's it. That doesn't diminish it's significance to YOU, but to assume you know what is significant to the UNIVERSE is surely pure stupidity.

You initially created this thread for people to make a case about their faith/belief/worldview and you stated that your beliefs were the only belief, quite blatantly. (Take a look at your opening post if you think you were doing otherwise, you stated that you thought as absolutes rather than "hey guys, I think this, what do you think?".) That is why you received so much negative feedback from posters of a different paradigm belief.

Then, you received feedback from someone who actually took your thread title seriously and gave you a legitimate response and you flame them telling them that yours is right and their's is wrong? And you thought others were retorting with childish responses?

I believe everyone is entitled to their own belief system and I usually love discussion with others, even if I don't heavily agree with them, but this is why most people scrutinize Christians so often. This, right here. You make it a debate about how their belief system is flawed because your book written by cattle sacrificing, women trading barbarians says they are.

Maybe you should go read your bible, specifcally 2 Timothy 2:24.

Stay thirsty my friends.

jesusdude.jpg

i don't know what i believe in

Regardless of the significance coming from a certain perspective, it still needs to be subjected to an appropriate level of reasoning.

The question for me here isn't what's significant to an ant vs. what's significant to a human, it's WHY is something significant in the first place. What something looks like from a particular perspective is not a satisfying or complete answer, imo.

And I said significance of a thing arises from those that place significance or value on that thing. This entails different perspectives from different subjects. By perspective I don't just me from which angle or from how far I actually see a thing but the emotions, experiences, values etc. a subject brings with them as they may see a certain thing -- idea or object or what have you.

Different perspectives, be it of a part or of a whole (as in the universe and my insect statement) or of specific things or ideas, allows different people to choose to see something as significant or insignificant. You said in your post regarding the topic "it makes my life better. It's true because I want it to be." Simply -- from your perspective, your faith, whatever that may be, independent of it actually being true has made your life better and is true because you want it to be not because it is actually true. From your perspective your faith is of use to you regardless of it actually being true. From my perspective, I don't find things that are not true to be of use to me and if I can't know if they are true I still don't see use in them for me.

I gave an argument that the Christian God is not imaginary. The burden is on you to show otherwise.

The burden of proof is on the person making the initial statement. So it's up to you to give proof that the Christian God is real.

EDIT: Man, I'm a little late on this one, eh?

Last edited:
Back