Make a case for your faith/belief/worldview in 100 words or less

The burden of proof is on the person making the initial statement. So it's up to you to give proof that the Christian God is real.

EDIT: Man, I'm a little late on this one, eh?

how can you prove or disprove god? everyone has their own evidence.

we cannot PROVE that black holes exists.

And I said significance of a thing arises from those that place significance or value on that thing. This entails different perspectives from different subjects. By perspective I don't just me from which angle or from how far I actually see a thing but the emotions, experiences, values etc. a subject brings with them as they may see a certain thing -- idea or object or what have you.

Different perspectives, be it of a part or of a whole (as in the universe and my insect statement) or of specific things or ideas, allows different people to choose to see something as significant or insignificant. You said in your post regarding the topic "it makes my life better. It's true because I want it to be." Simply -- from your perspective, your faith, whatever that may be, independent of it actually being true has made your life better and is true because you want it to be not because it is actually true. From your perspective your faith is of use to you regardless of it actually being true. From my perspective, I don't find things that are not true to be of use to me and if I can't know if they are true I still don't see use in them for me.

Whoa now, let's take a step back here.

My contention was with the assertion that human existence is insignificant because of its temporary existence on a watery rock floating through the vast universe. My problem with such statements is that they quietly assert the significance of size and temporal endurance without reason. If we were huge and lived for thousands of years, would our existence by any more significant? Does an insignificant 70-year life on earth suddenly become significant when it's extended infinitely through time?

Secondly, by your own admission the perspective required to value significance requires an agency. I don't see a reason to take the universe as having such a feature, and so we have no reason to argue about our own (lack of) significance in the eyes of the universe, since there's no one looking through those eyes anyways (unless there is :eek:)

My statement regarding my hypothetical faith came from a line of reasoning independent of this one.

There is evidence to the contrary.

but they have not been proven to exist. right? if they have been let me know.

my point is if we cannot prove that gigantic ass super black holes exist, how can we hope to prove or disprove god

lets talk about dark energy/dark matter, it just makes up like 78% of the mass of our universe, what is that exactly?

we are still finding new species every day. we have not seen a living giant quid until about a decade or two ago

all this shit we don't know, and people think they can prove or disprove god with empirical evidence is ridiculous.

want to find out if god is real for sure? then die, you will have all your answers.

Whoa now, let's take a step back here.

My contention was with the assertion that human existence is insignificant because of its temporary existence on a watery rock floating through the vast universe. My problem with such statements is that they quietly assert the significance of size and temporal endurance without reason. If we were huge and lived for thousands of years, would our existence by any more significant? Does an insignificant 70-year life on earth suddenly become significant when it's extended infinitely through time?

Secondly, by your own admission the perspective required to value significance requires an agency. I don't see a reason to take the universe as having such a feature, and so we have no reason to argue about our own (lack of) significance in the eyes of the universe, since there's no one looking through those eyes anyways (unless there is :eek:)

My statement regarding my hypothetical faith came from a line of reasoning independent of this one.

You know my position already. I wasn't arguing with you per se just that I can see how one could argue the position that poster took; Hume did so.

You know my position already. I wasn't arguing with you per se just that I can see how one could argue the position that poster took; Hume did so.

I do, I'm just tired of the silly Sagan stuff that gets thrown around here so loosely sometimes :icon_chee

I'll flesh out my first post itt another time, if it's not in the dump by tomorrow.

but they have not been proven to exist. right? if they have been let me know.

my point is if we cannot prove that gigantic ass super black holes exist, how can we hope to prove or disprove god

lets talk about dark energy/dark matter, it just makes up like 78% of the mass of our universe, what is that exactly?

we are still finding new species every day. we have not seen a living giant quid until about a decade or two ago

all this shit we don't know, and people think they can prove or disprove god with empirical evidence is ridiculous.

want to find out if god is real for sure? then die, you will have all your answers.

God is a very different thing than a black hole. Empirical evidence to me at least is all that matters and there is no empirical evidence independent of personal experiences and empirical evidence (I don't think) could disprove the existence of a god but lack of evidence is not evidence of absence woo woo woo... The funny thing is I don't know of anyone that tries to use empirical evidence to prove a god exists. Most gods are described like ts described them immaterial and outside space and time and thus are beyond our observation (conveniently for them). I'm almost completely positive we know black holes exist as attractors of great density and mass that pull in everything within it's gravitational field. They are observable through their effects as they pull stellar objects toward its self.

Here is an anomalous one scientist just discovered.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/11/black-hole-found-17-billion-times-as-massive-as-sun/

People are assholes.

the universe is a simple filter put in place for the many auditions of conciousness that percieve themselves to have free will.

Last edited:
Earth's significance to the UNIVERSE? Are you fucking serious?

There are potentially trillions of other Earth's out there. LOL at your presumption that Earth is somehow important to the universe :rolleyes:

A million Earth-like planets have surely been created and destroyed already... statistically speaking, at least.

Your assumptions are why I hate human posturing. Earth is significant to Earth. And that's it. That doesn't diminish it's significance to YOU, but to assume you know what is significant to the UNIVERSE is surely pure stupidity.

I think the problem with these conversations is always interpretation. Significance can be measured different ways. To me life, especially human life is apparently incredibly rare or unique. All assumptions to the contrary are only assumptions.

I have no doubt many planets similar to earth have and do exist. But if you think that somehow disproves my point then you misunderstood me.

There's also little doubt in my mind that as technology increases humans will have more effect on the universe. Leaving a boot print on the moon was unfathomable a hundred years ago. In time these effects will only increase.

Potential can be significant as well.

I truly believe that you create the universe you want to live in, wheter its conciously or unconciously you do... for people who realize you are capable of doing this, life becomes something else than just reacting to the events that happen, you create and put meaning in the events of your life thus you create the universe you want

And no that doesnt mean you are capable of stopping somebody from dying or stopping an event where many people die, but it means you are capable of putting meaning and creating the universe that comes after those events happen, you are an active part, a creator of the universe you live in, not just an object in it.

The great Sherdogger hoonosewot88 said it best about the chick in your AV

"She always has that look of gormlessness on her face yet i still just wanna mount her like a lion" lulz.

Back