Maia vs Belal

Belal prolly wins it by decision. Younger and stronger guy. He was outworking Leon on the clinch, and I think it will be tough for Maia to grab hold of him and drag him down. He's a hard grinder as well. I'm rooting for Maia to win though, always nice to see a returning legend get a win, coz who knows if it's prolly gonna be their last one.

Belal prolly wins it by decision. Younger and stronger guy. He was outworking Leon on the clinch, and I think it will be tough for Maia to grab hold of him and drag him down. He's a hard grinder as well. I'm rooting for Maia to win though, always nice to see a returning legend get a win, coz who knows if it's prolly gonna be their last one.

Maia has old man strength and his opponents have commented on it a lot in the past. Also historically only elite wrestlers have been able to consistently stop his takedowns. Have faith.

I say that, but if this goes longer than 7 minutes, then Maia is most likely losing, unfortunately.

Maia has old man strength and his opponents have commented on it a lot in the past. Also historically only elite wrestlers have been able to consistently stop his takedowns. Have faith.

I say that, but if this goes longer than 7 minutes, then Maia is most likely losing, unfortunately.

Yes, I heard Masvidal said that too about how strong he is though it doesn't look like it in the screen. It's just the long layoff that he had, and he's 43. Odds are against him, but I would love to see him win with his signature RNC. I just think Belal is the safe bet for this bout.

Yes, I heard Masvidal said that too about how strong he is though it doesn't look like it in the screen. It's just the long layoff that he had, and he's 43. Odds are against him, but I would love to see him win with his signature RNC. I just think Belal is the safe bet for this bout.

Yeah, but at the same time I think belal is Maia's easiest stylistic match up in a long time. I'm rooting for him, but I also logically think he has a decent chance. Can't wait for this one. Maia is the guy that got me into MMA back in 2007.

Reactions: Gio
Maia vs Belal on UFC 263 in a couple of weeks, who do you guys favor? Maia is obviously the most technical man, but I don't know where he stands in regards to his physical attributes.
Tough to say -- when is the last time we really saw Belal's takedown defense tested? His takedown offense is pretty good, but I feel he hasn't really been matched up with a wrestler for a minute... I think I favor Belal at this stage of Maia's career, but I wouldn't put money on it.

What a stupid fight. He should have chosen a better name to go out on. Someone with some real power in hands so we could see him get KTFO then retire.
I agree with you on the first point; I would've rather seen Maia retire against a named guy. I think it would've been really cool to see him move up to middleweight again and fight Souza.

As for you second point, why do you want to see him KOed? Maia is probably the nicest, least controversial guy in UFC history!

Yeah, but at the same time I think belal is Maia's easiest stylistic match up in a long time. I'm rooting for him, but I also logically think he has a decent chance. Can't wait for this one. Maia is the guy that got me into MMA back in 2007.

I agree. I expect to see Maia having success on his takedowns mid or late in the fight and I hope he does coz if managed too, it's his world down there.

And that's nice to know that Maia got you back to MMA in 2007. Me too I remember Maia was the first guy that comes to mind if they talk about dangerous BJJ practitioners at that time. We're getting old, brother. Lol.

I agree with you on the first point; I would've rather seen Maia retire against a named guy. I think it would've been really cool to see him move up to middleweight again and fight Souza.

As for you second point, why do you want to see him KOed? Maia is probably the nicest, least controversial guy in UFC history!
Only bc he owes it to the fans. Robbed us of so many exciting fights by flopping to ground, shooting for TD across cage then rolling over not getting up. Has to make a Just Bleed sacrifice to make things right.

Maia had Burns back in the first few minutes of the fight, and I don't think that Belal has even similiar skill to Burns in regard of escaping from this position. Of course fight result is never 100% sure and knockout is always possible, but for me Maia is the favorite, even though father time clearly wants him to lose.

Belal is well rounded, but Maia is a nightmare on the ground no matter his age. If Belal can keep it standing he wins, but if Maia gets the takedown Belal is getting choked.

I like both guys so I hate to see either lose.

Good matchup for Maia, rooting for him, but hard to expect a 43 year old win and a solid, well rounded younger opponent

r
Maia vs Belal on UFC 263 in a couple of weeks, who do you guys favor? Maia is obviously the most technical man, but I don't know where he stands in regards to his physical attributes.
rooting for maia, think belal will win tho

Heart says Maia, head says Belal.

Its a winnable fight for Damien though even at this stage of his career, Belal is not elite in the striking department and cannot survive prolonged grappling exchanges without giving up his neck. The question is whether Maia can get it to the ground successfully and repeatedly and if he can’t, how much damage can Belal inflict.
Be interested to see the odds when they are released, not that I would touch this one with a barge pole unless one is an enormous underdog, which I doubt will be the case.

Belal probably scores a finish unfortunately

UFC matchmakers hate Maia...whenever they hand him a striker (at 170) - he wins...his losses are only to the top guys.

They should have given him Cerroni for his last fight - pretty sure Maia wins that

Back