Mackenzie Dern's Career is Being Destroyed - Bad Decisions

Yep. She has surprisingly bad takedowns. Particularly when her pedigree is considered. Her father takes people down hard enough that you can just about feel the impact.

lol I read this and thought, wtf it sounds like he's describing Megaton Dias. Then I googled MacKenzie Dern's father... MEGATON FUCKING DIAS!

I had no idea.

NKfqmygl07T0ynqroO.webp

Thread didn't feel complete...
Elbow too pointy.

She's been in the game way too long now. Whatever mistakes she's currently making won't likely change significantly in the future. The first couple of years is pivotal to a fighters foundational growth.

Striking defense is horrible, power is okay but she has no idea how to strike properly, feet all over the place. Let's face it, she's been in MMA for 8 years, if she hasn't learned how to strike yet she's never going to get it!

She should've been doing intense wresling training as soon as she decided to cross over. That's just as much of a problem as her striking.

At this point, it is what it is. She's a good enough athlete to overwhelm most women in the division, but she's going to lose to the elite every time.
She should coach because counting on submissions against the top 5 doesn't work.

She may never be champ but no other champ could double as a ring girl either. Dern looks great , fights with the heart of a lion and isn't afraid of anybody. The UFC needs more people with her attitude as well.

I don't understand how technique wise she can be behind so badly after fighting so long. If it were a male fighter, they would've fixed the defensive gaps within a few fights. I get there is a difference in power between sexes, but skill wise I see no reason women would not be able to tighten their skills the way male counterparts can. Coaches should've been able to turn Dern into Ronda 2.0 with the amount of time she's spent in the sport. Maybe her training camps aren't as intensive as the mens?

in wmma i'm only interested in skilled fighters, which are very few: Dern looked like she could become one of them but now i believe that this may be not the case.

Yeah she quit in Rd 2 and rallied back.
She was out classed and lemos should have finished it she had stood up instead of following her to the ground and letting dern tie her up 🤷🏼 good fight tho
yeah, I was watching Lemos lay on her, letting her recover and looked at Lemos' ranking next to her name and thought- "this is the fight IQ of the 3rd best in this division?!"

Three or four years ago she should've been making trips to SE Asia for some good MT training for at least 3 to 4 week camps a couple times a year and then continue to work on her striking at her home gym.

But overall it seems like who ever she is surrounded with aren't forcing her to learn striking anymore. Probably should change camps and take a year off to hone her skills while she is still young enough. Come back and make push for the title.

Back