• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Mackenzie Dern (ranked 7) vs Angela Hill (ranked 13) Strawweight Fight May 20

Who wins?

• Total voters
Theyre obviously just trying to pump up Dern by feeding her a can. The announcers are going to be brutally biased.

Personally I don't like Dern at all. The big fake smile. Her posts are all look at me. Fake accent. She seems wildly insecure for someone who is in her position. Only won 1 fight in the past 2 years also.

Not a Dern guy.

This could potentially be a full five rounds of Angela Hill counter-pawing at Dern, since I can't see how Hill finishes...

That could really suck, and I'm no WMMA hater.

Looks like a stylistic mess if Dern doesn't get the R1SUB.

dont like taking from better cards but for Apex shows this is exactly what it should be. There are tiers to UFC events and sooner people get with that the better off you'll be. PPV, arena fight nights, Apex cards and then contender series. Apex cards shouldnt waste a big great main event, it should be fights like that and then its filler and maybe some prospects.

Ladner-jail-pic-724x1024.jpg

Theyre obviously just trying to pump up Dern by feeding her a can. The announcers are going to be brutally biased.

Personally I don't like Dern at all. The big fake smile. Her posts are all look at me. Fake accent. She seems wildly insecure for someone who is in her position. Only won 1 fight in the past 2 years also.

Not a Dern guy.

But Hill isn’t a can. She probably going to win this fight. Odds have it as a pick’em

I got Dern by sub, 3rd round.

Dern/Hill were not the ME of that Charlotte card. So it was supposed to be 3 rounds.

Now it’s 5 rounds. Dern’s last fight went 5 rounds about 7 months ago. And Dern did her best work in round 5 vs Yan. Hill last went 5 rounds over 2.5 years ago. That appears to favour Dern. And Angie is 38 years old. But in recent training footage she looks like she hasn’t lost a step yet (But it’s in such tiny clips, I can’t be sure).

The fight was going to be in the full size octagon in Charlotte, NC. Now it’s in the small one at the Apex. Which I think is an advantage to Dern as well.

The two biggest aspects of the fight are now completely different. And both seem to favour Dern, imo.

As well as Hill possibly being cheered as being more American than American born Dern. Who knows why attending mma fans cheer the way they do sometimes. Weili was cheered in MSG, over the defending American champ, Carla. There are not a lot of cheering fans in the Apex at all usually.

I had Hill by decision in the original fight. Now I’m not sure I can stick with my original prediction. This is a totally different fight now. I’d like to stick with my original prediction, but I don’t know if I can.

Dern averages .61 TD for every 15 mins in the octagon. Which mean she might not even get one in the 15 minutes the fight was originally scheduled for. In 25 minutes though at her current average we can expect she will get 1 TD (at least). And that could be game over for Hill right there.

Once again Angie making herself valuable to the company. I hope there’s a bump in pay for this. At this time there is about a $110K difference between her wins, and losses. And she’s been screwed out of several win bonuses in the past by shitty judging.

For the bullshit loss to Lemos on Dec 18, 2021. Hill said the judges costed her a $73K win bonus. Two fights later in CA where purses are disclosed. She was paid $190K $95K/$95K. So her pay was raised about $11K for each fight at that time.

I thought she had two fights since then which extrapolating from the figures above would have her at about $120K/$120K currently. But it is only one fight since then… So, probably more in the area of like $107K/107K - $110K/110K. It’s not an exact number but probably a very close estimate given what we do know.

So losing any fight costs her a lot of money. I’d like to think she got a bump of at least $50K for this late change, no matter what.

But from other things we’ve heard as recently as the Borz vs Nate card. None of those 6 affected fighters got paid any more or less than the money they signed for in the original fight contract (According to Dana. But we honestly don’t know).

Even if she didn’t get the bump though. This is why she is valuable to the company. She’s dependable, and can be counted on when they need her.

So when people ask why Hill is still in the UFC. This is absolutely one of the reasons. Possibly the biggest one.

I’ll have to think more about my prediction on this fight given the complete change of circumstances.

P.S. This is not a ME worthy fight even for a Fight Night. But that isn’t the girl’s fault.

Just turn off the tv or laptop and not watch the main, I sure as hell wont watch this fight. And ai like Angela Hill, this fight doesn't need 5rds.

I mean, she is. She's been in the UFC five years now, people like to watch her. She's a name, win or lose.

she was already a star in the BJJ world when she switched to MMA. She's currently one of the few BJJ competitors to make a good transition. I'd say only Gilbert Burns has been more successful on the present UFC roster.

mackenzie-dern.gif
Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. She needs to up her exposing tho.

Is UFC Fight Night 224 the greatest card of all time??

Mackenzie Dern 12 - 3 - 0 vs Angela Hill 15 - 12 - 0
mackenzie-dern-ufc-fight-night-194-getty.jpg

VS.
angela-hill-tuf-25-finale-official-weigh-ins1.jpg

Anthony Hernandez
9 - 2 - 0
VS.
Edmen Shahbazyan
13 - 2 - 0

Emily Ducote
12 - 7 - 0
VS.
Loopy Godinez
9 - 3 - 0

Joaquin Buckley
15 - 6 - 0
VS.
Andre Fialho
16 - 5 - 0

Orion Cosce
8 - 1 - 0
VS.
Gilbert Urbina
6 - 2 - 0

Diego Ferreira
17 - 5 - 0
VS.
Michael Johnson
21 - 18 - 0

Vanessa Demopoulos
9 - 4 - 0
VS.
Karolina Kowalkiewicz
14 - 7 - 0

Ilir Latifi
16 - 8 - 0
VS.
Rodrigo Nascimento
10 - 1 - 0

Viacheslav Borshchev
6 - 3 - 0
VS.
Hayisaer Maheshate
6 - 2 - 0

Nick Fiore
6 - 1 - 0
VS.
Chase Hooper
11 - 3 - 1

Victoria Leonardo
9 - 4 - 0
VS.
Natalia Silva
14 - 5 - 1
LOL

I'm usually hyped for at least 1 or 2 fights on any given card.. I could not care less about this one.

Not every card has to be stacked with well known fighters but at least throw a few up and comers that hardcore fans can get hyped for.

LOL

I'm usually hyped for at least 1 or 2 fights on any given card.. I could not care less about this one.

Not every card has to be stacked with well known fighters but at least throw a few up and comers that hardcore fans can get hyped for.

Couldn’t be more opposite. There are at least 9 fights I’m interested on this card

Fluffy/Shaybazyan
Buckley
Loopy/Ducote
Johnson/Ferrerira
Lil Monster
Slava Klaus
My boi Chase Hopper
And Natalia Silva

LOL

I like Slava Borshchev. If he improves his takedown defense he could be good. I also like Natalia Silva.

There's also a Flyweight fight that I didn't list, Clayton Carpenter vs Stephen Erceg. Both of those guys are legit prospects. The rest of the card is pretty grim. Fialho vs Buckley could be fun.

I know, right? and those mean haters always post videos like the one showing 3 minuntes of macy barbiere hitting air...

Lol that’s classic. There’s one fighter I can’t quite put my finger on who used to always come out to this song. R.I.P. Magic.

EDIT: It’s Robert Whittaker. Rampage also came out to it once or twice.

Last edited:
Back