• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Mackenzie Dern poses with the Brazilian Flag on UFC's IG

whiteknight.jpg
Pretty weak post Sherbro.

Its amazing how much attention she gets.

And does she ask for it? She took time off to have a baby.. Now 1 fight back, after a good win and here we are bashing her for doing what exactly? Posing with a flag? Uh huh..

i'm triggered, cause i would love to know why not more people have called her out for this. her evolution in accent has been well documented....I just can't have respect for someone that does that...
does what? speak portuguese exclusively for years and develop an accent?

I don't know what's more cringe in this thread people really being triggered by her accent or dumb ass americans who only speak english and don't know how accents work when you're bilingual

Decreased frequency of use can absolutely lead to language attrition I'm calling bullshit on teaching linguistics anywhere but SherbroU

I teach English. My major was linguistics. Attrition doesn’t happen in the brief period of time we’re talking about. It happens (mostly to young people) to people who immigrate to a new country and go for years on end without using or hearing their mother tongue.

It doesn’t happen to bilingual men, women, or children in a relatively short timespan, especially those who would still be in constant contact with their mother tongue.

I don't know what's more cringe in this thread people really being triggered by her accent or dumb ass americans who only speak english and don't know how accents work when you're bilingual

You don’t develop new accents in your 20s and 30s, Lindsay Lohan.

You do, if you live in a place where you're speaking a new language most of the time your native language might get worse for a time. My friend went to the usa when he was in his 20's and for five years only spoke english in his daily life. When he returned we had to slow down our portuguese when talking to him cause he couldn't understand

I think you can to a degree. If I suddenly went to live in England or the deep south for the rest of my life I'm sure there would be some twang accent picked up. But I do think Dern is putting on an act and is a complete joke. Anyone with a brain knows that, but there are some thirsty motherfuckers SJW virtue signaling over her, is normal.

I think you can to a degree. If I suddenly went to live in England or the deep south for the rest of my life I'm sure there would be some twang accent picked up. But I do think Dern is putting on an act and is a complete joke. Anyone with a brain knows that, but there are some thirsty motherfuckers SJW virtue signaling over her, is normal.
I don't even see that huge change people are talking about in her accent, most of it is just a loss of vocabulary which is exactly what happens when you don't speak your native tongue for a while

The issue isn't her accent.

It's her fake confusion and forced messing up of syntax and grammar in a way she aligns with Brazilians who attempt to speak English as a second language.

Being immersed in another language can indeed cause your *accent* to drift.

It doesn't flip you from perfect fluency to fresh-off-the-boat in terms of grammar and syntax, especially in adults, especially in a fairly short time period.

Thought experiment: Someone kidnaps her child. Tells her to give an impromptu five minute speech in reasonably good English on a topic of her choice or her child "gets it". Do you like for sure think sheez doin it like I'm going to you know be typing it very good? Or is she going to speak in something much closer to standard American English?

Last edited:
the way her a $ $ bounced in her last fight was a delicacy... and she can actually fight

The issue isn't her accent.

It's her fake confusion and forced messing up of syntax and grammar in a way she aligns with Brazilians who attempt to speak English as a second language.

Being immersed in another language can indeed cause your *accent* to drift.

It doesn't flip you from perfect fluency to fresh-off-the-boat in terms of grammar and syntax, especially in adults, especially in a fairly short time period.

Thought experiment: Someone kidnaps her child. Tells her to give an impromptu five minute speech in reasonably good English on a topic of her choice or her child "gets it". Do you like for sure think sheez doin it like I'm going to you know be typing it very good? Or is she going to speak in something much closer to standard American English?
Thats what happens when you speak another language for a long time

You do, if you live in a place where you're speaking a new language most of the time your native language might get worse for a time. My friend went to the usa when he was in his 20's and for five years only spoke english in his daily life. When he returned we had to slow down our portuguese when talking to him cause he couldn't understand

No, you don't. You're giving an unverifiable, anecdotal example of a friend whose listening comprehension diminished after being away from his mother tongue for 5 years. This is not evidence that bilingual people in their 20's and 30's suddenly develop a new accent.

For anyone who is interested, you are welcome to check my posting history on this site, but I got my start in teaching abroad. I lived and worked in China for 8 years. My wife then returned to the States with me.

Since we're sharing anecdotes, I can tell you neither she nor I developed accents or diminished listening comprehension, and we both lived abroad in foreign countries longer than your friend did.

As a linguistics major I can tell you it is nigh impossible for the kinds of changes you guys are arguing for to occur within the time frame we're talking about here. People in their 20's and 30's don't develop accents and broken English in such a short time span.

It's much easier to admit the truth. The overwhelming majority of the time people who change their accents do it to fit in.

Thats what happens when you speak another language for a long time

Absolutely not true. I've been in "that world" for a good chunk of my adult life (swapping Spanish for Portuguese) and have literally never seen that happen once to any adult.

It can happen to children. Young children.

Not adults, and certainly not adults who were immersed in the tongue from childhood.

I'm usually not someone who bangs on about "white-knighting" on the internet (even when I observe it), but some of you (not you specifically) really need to get a grip. She's not going to fuck you if you defend her abject nonsense over the internet.

No, you don't. You're giving an unverifiable, anecdotal example of a friend whose listening comprehension diminished after being away from his mother tongue for 5 years. This is not evidence that bilingual people in their 20's and 30's suddenly develop a new accent.

For anyone who is interested, you are welcome to check my posting history on this site, but I got my start in teaching abroad. I lived and worked in China for 8 years. My wife then returned to the States with me.

Since we're sharing anecdotes, I can tell you neither she nor I developed accents or diminished listening comprehension, and we both lived abroad in foreign countries longer than your friend did.

As a linguistics major I can tell you it is nigh impossible for the kinds of changes you guys are arguing for to occur within the time frame we're talking about here. People in their 20's and 30's don't develop accents and broken English in such a short time span.

It's much easier to admit the truth. The overwhelming majority of the time people who change their accents do it to fit in.
So you're an expert in this? Can you verify it for us them? Cause every person i know who went to the usa and stayed there for a time got problems when speaking portuguese in their return. Even my english teacher by the way

I think you can to a degree. If I suddenly went to live in England or the deep south for the rest of my life I'm sure there would be some twang accent picked up.

Tell that to my wife. She's a Chinese immigrant who has lived in the deep south for years. She didn't suddenly pick up a country accent. She still speaks with the British accent she acquired from her years of learning the language at university.

The kinds of changes Dern is exhibiting don't occur in bilingual people in their 20's and 30's.

The majority of people who exhibit changes in their accents affect those changes intentionally.

But I do think Dern is putting on an act and is a complete joke. Anyone with a brain knows that, but there are some thirsty motherfuckers SJW virtue signaling over her, is normal.

Agreed.

Absolutely not true. I've been in "that world" for a good chunk of my adult life (swapping Spanish for Portuguese) and have literally never seen that happen once to any adult.

It can happen to children. Young children.

Not adults, and certainly not adults who were immersed in the tongue from childhood.

I'm usually not someone who bangs on about "white-knighting" on the internet (even when I observe it), but some of you (not you specifically) really need to get a grip. She's not going to fuck you if you defend her abject nonsense over the internet.
spanish and portuguese are too similar to make a good comparison

Back