Machida "Title shots' criteria should be better defined, won't avoid fighting Silva"

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1...a-title-shot-criteria-anderson-silva-mma-news

Lyoto Machida prefers not to complain about a possible delayed title shot if Anderson Silva beats Nick Diaz on January 31, at UFC 183. However, "The Dragon" told Tatame.com.br that he's confused about the UFC criteria and asked for more specific rules for everyone to understand how a title fight is earned.

"I can't say if it's fair or unfair. Anderson has a big history behind him, his not a nobody. If Dana White says that he will fight for the title, I won't contest. I just think that the criteria should be stronger and better defined but we have to move on. I'm not a guy to be complaining, I like to focus on my work."

Lyoto also says that he would accept a fight with Anderson but doubts it would be a possibility in the near future.

"Everyone asks me if I would face him but it's a bout far away of happening. Of course I would. As a professional, I would do it. The audience would like to watch. But it's a fight out of context and to me it isn't going to happen, so I don't like to talk about."

Before thinking about another title shot in the Middleweight division, Lyoto will face Luke Rockhold in the main event of UFC on FOX 15 on April 18. The former UFC Light Heavyweight champion fought for the 185-pounds belt at UFC 175, when he lost to Chris Weidman by unanimous decision.

Still funny how when Anderson was in his prime, Machida stated he wouldn't fight him and that they were brothers. Now that he's lost at the ripe age of 38? Of course he'd fight him.

Oh and inb4 "Anderson took the easier route, Machida fought the real elite guys" (even though Anderson started his career under 170lb and Machida was fighting at HW/LHW)

fans and fighters have been wondering about title shots since before Mir got one for beating Tank & Simms.

it used to annoy me. but i figure, if the worst thing i can say about the UFC is that every 3rd or 4th title fight they give a fight more fans want to see instead of #1 v #2, then things are ok.

i think i don't want to see Machida v Silva.

Still funny how when Anderson was in his prime, Machida stated he wouldn't fight him and that they were brothers. Now that he's lost at the ripe age of 38? Of course he'd fight him.

Because Machida isn't 36

^
wrong. It was always Anderson speaking for Machida as well as Jacare and other Brazilians. He tries to create this huge drama whenever another Brazilian dares challenge him, hence the Vitor mask, the Maia clowning, etc. He doesnt want to fight Machida so he tries to pressure him into feeling the same way about it.

In actuality, Machida is not an emotional baby and can separate his feelings from doing his job as a professional fighter.

Oh and inb4 "Anderson took the easier route, Machida fought the real elite guys" (even though Anderson started his career under 170lb and Machida was fighting at HW/LHW)

Can you link me to were Machida said that? From what I've seen it's Anderson who said he wouldn't fight Machida.

It's going to be very sad watching A. Silva beat a semi-retired WW coming off two losses and get yet another gift wrapped title shot.

That's what Lyoto is trying to say.

Didn't Lyoto get a title shot on a 1 fight win streak? Over Randy iirc.

There have been far less deserving shots though, guys coming off losses etc.

But IMO Anderson does not deserve a title shot if he beats a unranked welterweight who is winless in 4 years.

^
wrong. It was always Anderson speaking for Machida as well as Jacare and other Brazilians. He tries to create this huge drama whenever another Brazilian dares challenge him, hence the Vitor mask, the Maia clowning, etc. He doesnt want to fight Machida so he tries to pressure him into feeling the same way about it.

In actuality, Machida is not an emotional baby and can separate his feelings from doing his job as a professional fighter.

This pretty much

^

Anderson has admitted that he doesn't like fighting fellow Brazilians, but Machida said from the start that he wouldn't fight Anderson.

Can you link me to were Machida said that? From what I've seen it's Anderson who said he wouldn't fight Machida.

Can't find the video or link, some other user posted it in that other thread of the same topic but yeah. You'll only find Machida stating he'd fight Anderson after Weidman won the belt.

Im the champ, I dont want to fight 1/2 the division because they are from my home country (even though i live in the USA for pretty much my entire career). No im not trying to duck legit contenders, they are my braaah-thaaaas. IS normal.

I agree that the criteria is fucked, but he's been mauled in his last 3 title fights and he always thinks he should be right there in front. Weidman has a bunch of contenders to beat, and machida is already acting like he should be getting a rematch.

Im the champ, I dont want to fight 1/2 the division because they are from my home country (even though i live in the USA for pretty much my entire career). No im not trying to duck legit contenders, they are my braaah-thaaaas. IS normal.

Which Brazilian contenders did he avoid when he was the champion?

Anderson has admitted that he doesn't like fighting fellow Brazilians, but Machida said from the start that he wouldn't fight Anderson.
I remember when he's said that and it was always done half-heartedly like he was coerced to do it. This was back before he could speak proper English and had his own fanbase in America so he had to follow Andersons lead.

I remember when he's said that and it was always done half-heartedly like he was coerced to do it. This was back before he could speak proper English and had his own fanbase in America so he had to follow Andersons lead.

637.gif

Now this is just getting silly.

2 years is a big difference in the fight game. You should know that by now, sunny. Anderson has also been fighting longer than Machida.

It doesn't ALWAYS make a difference.

Obviously, but you really don't think it'd make a difference between a guy that has over 30 fights compared to a guy with 27?

Hairs are being split

Back