Machida takedown gifs

Shadowbox

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
These were collected in a UFC thread by user AmericanDragon back in 2009, and someone just necroed it. It brought me great joy. So, I thought I'd share some of the love with those of you who don't frequent f2 (probably a wise decision). Also hoping it might spur a technique discussion amongst those who are better-versed in stand up grappling than myself, so that I might leech off their knowledge:icon_chee Enjoy!

25z3qis.gif

2m4t0ec.gif

xogsn8.gif

2s1m5o5.gif

291doup.gif

His ability to punch and do does leg sweeps at almost the same time is incredible and thats why they work so good to, look at the hands and you miss the feet.

Rashad does a similar thing. It's hard to concentrate on both things at once.

Rashad does a similar thing. It's hard to concentrate on both things at once.
Rashad punches his way into his shots, that's not really the same as Machida's competition Shotokan style where the punches provide balance breaking for foot sweeps.

Rashad punches his way into his shots, that's not really the same as Machida's competition Shotokan style where the punches provide balance breaking for foot sweeps.

Rashad does a foot sweep from punches as well.

Pretty slick thx. I've always liked the Dragon... = )

As a shotokan karate guy it warms my heart to see actual shotokan techniques executed perfectly in MMA by essentially, a pure shotokan striker.

the very first one is nuts lol I want to try that

This is probably my favorite takedown in mma... I love judo in mma.

2s1m5o5.gif

It's a sukui nage throw from judo, although i suppose they use it in karate as well, and in sumo. Machida trains in all three disciplines, so we can only speculate what his inspiration was.

You might not all agree with me on this, but I thought it was very interesting. Have you ever seen Fedor punch his opponent and follow up with crashing his body into them? I have observed him do that in many of his fights, most notably against Nogueira and Brett Rogers. Have a look. Do you think this is a modification of the same throw Machida does?

fedorknocksoutrogers.gif

Last edited:
This is probably my favorite takedown in mma... I love judo in mma.

2s1m5o5.gif

It's a sukui nage throw from judo, although i suppose they use it in karate as well, and in sumo. Machida trains in all three disciplines, so we can only speculate what his inspiration was.

You might not all agree with me on this, but I thought it was very interesting. Have you ever seen Fedor punch his opponent and follow up with crashing his body into them? I have observed him do that in many of his fights, most notably against Nogueira and Brett Rogers. Have a look. Do you think this is a modification of the same throw Machida does?

That's actually Aikido. Sokumen Iriminage (Side Entry). Of course Aikido presuppose expertise in Shotokan Karate and Judo. But entering in on strikes and throwing/breaking the balance of the opponent is what Aikido is all about.

Last edited:
That's actually Aikido. Sokumen Iriminage (Side Entry). Of course Aikido presuppose expertise in Shotokan Karate and Judo. But entering in on strikes and throwing/breaking the balance of the opponent is what Aikido is all about.

I didn't realize there were two takedowns in the same gif when i wrote this. The first gif in the gif where it says "round 1 1:15" is clearly sukui nage. Perhaps you have a name for it in aikido as well, but you can't say it's not what judoka call a sukui nage.

Karate sweeps/takedowns where he throws punches to set up a leg trip.

Theres only one takedown that I see Machida do consistently that doesnt look karate but looks to be from his sumo background.

Machida's sweeps are probably my favorite part of his game. That faked/missed reverse punch to sweep (ashi barai?) is my favorite. Such a great set up that works equally well in Muay Thai.

I'd love to be able to pull those off.

I love machida's style man. great foot sweeps and technique, so original in MMA

fedorknocksoutrogers.gif

Fedor actually did this a lot. He really liked using the right hand lead to enter into clinches. It allowed him to close distance, land a hard blow, and avoid a counter from his opponent.

Jack Slack explains it really well in this piece: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/8/3070061/judo-chop-analyzing-fedor-technique-rizzo-nogueira-mma

His ability to punch and do does leg sweeps at almost the same time is incredible and thats why they work so good to, look at the hands and you miss the feet.

Yeah, his ability to do this is really amazing. Machida's timing is really his greatest asset.

I would love to know how he trained to get so good at them.

Back