Machida asks for better title shot criteria, would fight Silva

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Big news from Machida.
After all, Silva always refused going up because "it was Machida's divison"...

Maybe one division is too small for both? :)

Beforehand though, here's his thought on title shots:
"I can't say if it's fair or unfair. Anderson has a big history behind him, his not a nobody. If Dana White says that he will fight for the title, I won't contest. I just think that the criteria should be stronger and better defined but we have to move on. I'm not a guy to be complaining, I like to focus on my work."

Here's about fighting Silva

"Everyone asks me if I would face him but it's a bout far away of happening. Of course I would. As a professional, I would do it. The audience would like to watch. But it's a fight out of context and to me it isn't going to happen, so I don't like to talk about."

link

I want to see Anderson fight for the title at least one more time.

Machidas had plenty of title shots

I don't think he means only himself.
But look at hows Silva bypassed Jacare, luke and him by fighting DIaz!

Then look at Connor bypassing Frankie by beating Siver

Or Sonnen & Jon

Or Lesnar....

... an many more!

Machidas had plenty of title shots

yes he has but he has also deserved them. I do agree with Silva getting a shot next if he does win though. Not saying anything will change but I would like to see a fight with no excuses.

respectful. true.

I think Machida gets it that the Weidman fight, while very good, was a clear loss for him.

I would love to see him fight Silva, title or not title. As long as they are not too friendly to really get after each other

Beat few cans + 1 top 5ish win + move the needle = instant title shot...

Ask Connor Mc

I wish there was a criteria as well.

Right now the criteria is a business criteria. "Which fighter fighting for the title would bring us the most money right now?" And who ever that is is the person that gets the title shot and unfortunately it is not always the most deserving fight.

Bellator tried a strategy of having only tournament winners fight for the title. I liked it, but there was one draw back. The same guys kept winning the tournaments!

But here is a simple criteria:

The Champ fights the guy ranked #1, if he recently beat the #1 guy, then he fights the #2, if he recently beat the #2, then he fights the #3 and so on down to about #5. If some how he had 5 fights that year and managed to beat #1 - 5 and the rankings somehow haven't changed that year, then he fights the fighter whom ever he fougth least recently.

I wish there was a criteria as well.

Right now the criteria is a business criteria. "Which fighter fighting for the title would bring us the most money right now?" And who ever that is is the person that gets the title shot and unfortunately it is not always the most deserving fight.

Bellator tried a strategy of having only tournament winners fight for the title. I liked it, but there was one draw back. The same guys kept winning the tournaments!

But here is a simple criteria:

The Champ fights the guy ranked #1, if he recently beat the #1 guy, then he fights the #2, if he recently beat the #2, then he fights the #3 and so on down to about #5. If some how he had 5 fights that year and managed to beat #1 - 5 and the rankings somehow haven't changed that year, then he fights the fighter whom ever he fougth least recently.

Too much wiggle room with the word "recently". Recently could be within 5 years. And the rankings wouldn't matter because they'd just pull a Siver and send someone up to #1 who doesn't deserve it for promotional purposes.

On a different note, seeing the motherfucking Dragon KO Silva into retirement would be the highlight of my life.

Too much wiggle room with the word "recently". Recently could be within 5 years. And the rankings wouldn't matter because they'd just pull a Siver and send someone up to #1 who doesn't deserve it for promotional purposes.

On a different note, seeing the motherfucking Dragon KO Silva into retirement would be the highlight of my life.

There is no wiggle room.

"Hey champ, you are fighting the #1 guy."

"But I beat him last month."

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I mean you are fighting the number 2 guy?"

"Great."

There is no wiggle room.

"Hey champ, you are fighting the #1 guy."

"But I beat him last month."

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I mean you are fighting the number 2 guy?"

"Great."

Sure, if we're living in a magical fantasyland where Communism also works the way it's supposed to.

If we were using this system (and somehow the UFC was bound by law to execute it, which it never would be) they would have just bumped Conor to number 3, Lamas to 4 and made the fight anyway.

yes he has but he has also deserved them. I do agree with Silva getting a shot next if he does win though. Not saying anything will change but I would like to see a fight with no excuses.

Lmao, you won't

if machida asks for the moon, dana should try to figure out how to give it to him.

also if silva gets a shot of off diaz, he will be getting a shot off someone who is coming off of two losses, as well as someone who hasnt got a win since 2011, as well as someone whose last win was off an over the hill bj penn. past all of this, he will be getting a title shot with one win out of his last three fights.

It has to be frustrating for aging fighters who know they have limited time left to compete.

The criteria is simple, if you convince Dana you can 'move the needle' you'll get a title shot after beating a few carefully selected opponents

also if silva gets a shot of off diaz, he will be getting a shot off someone who is coming off of two losses, as well as someone who hasnt got a win since 2011, as well as someone whose last win was off an over the hill bj penn. past all of this, he will be getting a title shot with one win out of his last three fights.

How about winning a title shot by beating someone who has only had one UFC win in the last 8 years

either machida or anderson can beat weidman any time they fight. they are to great to just be counted out seriously. sure weidman might win, but it isnt a forgone conclusion. they are great, weidman isnt great just yet.

Back