Economy Lyft, Uber drivers planning worldwide strike next week

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
Before we get to the meat of the article I want to point out what I think is the most precious bit. It cracked me up.

“We want Uber to answer to us — not to investors,” Lama said.

<Lmaoo> lol at Uber working for the workers and not the shareholders.

Disclaimer: I do not own shares of Lyft though I used to. These companies I think will eventually fail. The clear path to profitability and practicality is to go driverless. There they will run into people like Tesla who are way ahead of them and wipe the floor with them. Some people will get rich before it happens though.

New York drivers for Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing apps will be joining colleagues from across the globe by briefly going on strike Wednesday to demand better job security, higher wages and a guaranteed 80 percent cut of all fares.

Members of the New York Taxi Workers Association will be striking from 7 am to 9 am Wednesday just ahead of Uber’s initial public offering. They will be joining drivers in London, Los Angeles and other cities who will also be on strike.

“Wall Street investors are telling Uber and Lyft to cut down on driver income, stop incentives, and go faster to driverless cars,” NYTWA Executive Director Bhairavi Desai said. “With the IPO, Uber’s corporate owners are set to make billions, all while drivers are left in poverty and go bankrupt.

“That’s why NYTWA members are joining the international strike to stand up to Uber greed,” she said.

“I’m striking for my [5-year-old son’s] future… ,” added Sonam Lama, an Uber driver since 2015. “But it’s becoming harder and harder. First, Uber cut the rates, then they put too many cars on the roads, so there weren’t enough fares to go around.”

“We want Uber to answer to us — not to investors,” Lama said.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/03/lyft-...utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

It was never meant to be a full time job. LOL at these idiots.

Fuck Uber and Lyft.

Ruined taxi cabs, and careers for all those guys who had the Medallions.

Alot of those guys are immigrants and had a good stable income.
Now you get a bunch of college kids coming in and out, not giving a fuck and doing it for a month or two and than going somewhere else.

Also ruined town car services and all that.

You'd make a lot of money working at a hotel and setting up people with rides to the airport. The drivers always kicked money back for each ride, and you would make a lot of money.
Now people use Uber and randomly you'll get someone who asks for you to set up a pick up.

Fuck Uber.

So these guys had no problem screwing the taxi guys by undercutting their prices, but now they expect ppl to feel sorry for them?

let the "free market" decide.

Unite, Proletariats!

Affordable and efficient working jetpack tech is the pitch I see coming from left field.

Fuck Uber and Lyft.

Now you get a bunch of college kids coming in and out, not giving a fuck and doing it for a month or two and than going somewhere else.

You'd make a lot of money working at a hotel and setting up people with rides to the airport. The drivers always kicked money back for each ride, and you would make a lot of money.
Now people use Uber and randomly you'll get someone who asks for you to set up a pick up.

Fuck Uber.

Lol fuck taxis. I lived in NYC for 4 years before ride share apps became a thing. I can’t think of many industries were I’ve seen a bigger lack of professionalism and customer service than taxis. Filthy, smelly cars and drivers, talking loudly on their phones driving distracted and ignoring their fares, trying to take the long routes to rip me off, driving dangerously and getting into road rage incidents while I was a passenger, literally falling asleep at the wheel, this list goes on and on. Many of my friends at one point had almost come to blows with shitty taxi drivers.

Now I get a few dozen Ubers a month for work and the vast majority of the time the ride is more professional than all the medallion drivers I’ve used in the past.

Also LoL and taxi companies sitting on their ass while the rest of the services business world evolved with apps. I’m supposed to google a local taxi company, call them ahead of time and wait while they figure out a vague window of time when “someone” “should” come pick me up. And they wait around and see if they are actually coming on time. Then they take whatever route they want and you have to argue about it. And if they suck there’s no recourse. These dummies could have integrated into their business the same features that makes Uber so easy and helpful but they were lazy and foolish and stayed stagnant. Only themselves to blame.

Last edited:
lol at the taxi white knights. fuck them and their overcharging ways.

Fuck Uber and Lyft.

Fuck Uber.
Fuck the car. It ruined a stable income for horse buggy drivers and a steady supply of food for horses.

Fuck the assembly line. It ruined a stable income for blacksmiths and cobblers.

Fuck the dish washer. It ruined a stable income for a group of people that hand scrubbed and soaped dishes and reduced it to just one guy.

Disclaimer: I do not own shares of Lyft though I used to. These companies I think will eventually fail. The clear path to profitability and practicality is to go driverless. There they will run into people like Tesla who are way ahead of them and wipe the floor with them. Some people will get rich before it happens though.

LMFAO @ your "expert" logic.

First of all Uber is working on driverless cars...remember the accident of the uber driverless car?.....I have no doubt that Uber/Lyft will ditch human drivers as soon as they can.

Im sure tesla will be great competition but LMFAO @ you acting like uber is super behind and thinks the future is real drivers.

Fuck the car. It ruined a stable income for horse buggy drivers and a steady supply of food for horses.

Fuck the assembly line. It ruined a stable income for blacksmiths and cobblers.

Fuck the dish washer. It ruined a stable income for a group of people that hand scrubbed and soaped dishes and reduced it to just one guy.
And all of those still exists. But everything you mention was an "industrial invention".
We invented the car which is way better than a horse buggy. So much more can be done with a car. We went from you having to wash every pot and pan to a machine that does it for you. You still have the job it's just now easier for you.
Uber and Lyft brought nothing new to the table. They basically came in as an app and not a transportation service to skirt around regulations. Now you have immigrants losing there jobs to a bunch of white kids who will cycle through this shit as they go on to their careers.
So dont compare Uber to the fuckin creation of the wheel unless that Ubers taking us to Mars.

And all of those still exists. But everything you mention was an "industrial invention".
We invented the car which is way better than a horse buggy. So much more can be done with a car. We went from you having to wash every pot and pan to a machine that does it for you. You still have the job it's just now easier for you.
Uber and Lyft brought nothing new to the table. They basically came in as an app and not a transportation service to skirt around regulations. Now you have immigrants losing there jobs to a bunch of white kids who will cycle through this shit as they go on to their careers.
So dont compare Uber to the fuckin creation of the wheel unless that Ubers taking us to Mars.
I find that people only resort to racism when their ideas lack any substance.

LMFAO @ your "expert" logic.

First of all Uber is working on driverless cars...remember the accident of the uber driverless car?.....I have no doubt that Uber/Lyft will ditch human drivers as soon as they can.

Im sure tesla will be great competition but LMFAO @ you acting like uber is super behind and thinks the future is real drivers.

lol at Uber being anywhere near Tesla. They are in a crowded field and will get crushed. You don't just become a car manufacturer overnight. It has a massive barrier to entry.

Tesla is starting a taxi service too.

Go invest in plant burgers like Beyond Meat. Uber is done.

As an Uber driver, it's so dumb to me that the "strike" is taking place during a relatively slow time frame on the slowest day of the week that very few drivers actually work.

Let me know when we're striking during peak bar hours. The vast majority of drivers don't work those hours to begin with, so it's a "protest" that doesn't actually conflict with their schedules at all. Most people posting about striking are still going to be sleeping during the "strike".

As an Uber driver, it's so dumb to me that the "strike" is taking place during a relatively slow time frame on the slowest day of the week that very few drivers actually work.

Let me know when we're striking during peak bar hours. The vast majority of drivers don't work those hours to begin with, so it's a "protest" that doesn't actually conflict with their schedules at all. Most people posting about striking are still going to be sleeping during the "strike".

It does coincide with Uber going public though. Uber is the most anticipated IPO of the year. Going public next week.

It does coincide with Uber going public though. Uber is the most anticipated IPO of the year. Going public next week.

I'm aware. But it won't hurt Uber, or send a message.

Back