LUTA LIVRE! the 'dirty grappling' of no-gi...

Episode 5 from Marcelo Brigadeiro just added at www.martialarts.world
Looks at submissions from guard, ankle lock, crank, knee bar and choke.

More to come!
Check it out - free instruction vids

Isnt luta livre just catch wrestling? Or varaition of it ? And if its not. How different is it?
AFAIK the founder of Luta Livre Esportiva (Euclydes Hatem) was a catch wrestler but the sport has evolved so much from catch over the years. It's now its own thing.

As for Marcelo, when he was in Liverpool he taught catch wrestlers like Rob Broughton. In an interview he said Luta Livre Esportiva was different from Catch Wrestling.

Hatem learned catch from Rufino dos Santos and judo under Mestre Loanzi and blended them together.

Isnt luta livre just catch wrestling? Or varaition of it ? And if its not. How different is it?
AFAIK the founder of Luta Livre Esportiva (Euclydes Hatem) was a catch wrestler but the sport has evolved so much from catch over the years. It's now its own thing.

As for Marcelo, when he was in Liverpool he taught catch wrestlers like Rob Broughton. In an interview he said Luta Livre Esportiva was different from Catch Wrestling.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-part-9-bjj-during-the-vale-tudo-era.3826197/

Luta Livre~Catch Wrasslin´+greco-roman wrasslin´+JJJ (still the 1980s generation incorporated MT to its skill set.)

Master Tatu got many teachers, includin´ Master Loanzi (JJ & Judo) and Rufino

Last edited:

No, it's not just Catch wrestling. Like all modern grappling arts it is heavily influenced by Judo as well. In the late and 1800s through to the mid 1900s Judo was on the forefront of sophisticated newaza. BJJ and Luta Livre continued to he influenced by it way up until the 1970s.

Luta Livre guys have so many leg lock setups. I would love to see them compete against DDS guys in nogi.

DDS would more than likely still do better due to more sponsorship = less time working and more time training and competing. Most high level LL guys suffer from a lack of exposure and dont get the financial option to dedicate 100% to competitive grappling as BJJ has much more notoriety. That's why most accomplished LL athletes go to mma for guaranteed paydays

Yes it is originally catchwrestling blended with judo newaza, it was a counter martial arts against BJJ moreover it was the epitomy of the social class fighting as LL was taught for the poor people and BJJ for the upper class.
Originally a top game grappling style, the confrontations with BJJ made the inclusion of the guard in LL as well the developpement of leg locks and striking originated from Muay Thai.
Unfortunately LL lost the battleground against BJJ for the grappling marketing aspect due to the advertissement of the BJJ vs LL challenges (example Duarte vs Rickson Gracie brawl in the beach) and as well the marketing of the BJJ in the US market.

Additionnal information regarding Catch wrestling, there were a really good brazilian catch wrestler named Rufino Dos Santos who managed to overwhelm Carlos Gracie himself in a challenge in the 1930s, so in retaliation of this humiliation the Gracies brothers teamed together to ambush and beat Dos Santos and even breaking his arm... yup not so honorable the Gracies at that time

Luta Livre guys have so many leg lock setups. I would love to see them compete against DDS guys in nogi.
True! the best example the infamous Rousimar Palhares as he's a black belt of BJJ but as well a black belt of LL

Had the pleasure of working with Luta Livre Champion and coach to a number of UFC fighters - Marcelo Brigadeiro a number of years ago, filmed an 8 part series of full length instruction vids...

Some really interesting techniques, variations on more common submissions, along with a lot of techniques that might get classed as 'dirty grappling' under certain rules... very good for MMA though and general no-gi fighting.

Just got the series back online so making them available for free
First 2 episodes, each approx 40-45mins long are currently online now on the following link.
The rest being added soon :)
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think?

http://martialarts.world/luta-livre-marcelo-brigadeiro/

Is this down for good?

i have been in few luta livre seminars, it seems to me a little bit more strenght oriented and use a lot of snatches etc

i have been in few luta livre seminars, it seems to me a little bit more strenght oriented and use a lot of snatches etc

I wouldn't say it's more strength oriented at all. My LL coach is an old war veteran who got hit by a grenade back in the day, his shit is fucked and he cant move like he should yet he regularly tapped my younger, taller, stronger BJJ coach who was a Royler black belt

Had the pleasure of working with Luta Livre Champion and coach to a number of UFC fighters - Marcelo Brigadeiro a number of years ago, filmed an 8 part series of full length instruction vids...

Some really interesting techniques, variations on more common submissions, along with a lot of techniques that might get classed as 'dirty grappling' under certain rules... very good for MMA though and general no-gi fighting.

Just got the series back online so making them available for free
First 2 episodes, each approx 40-45mins long are currently online now on the following link.
The rest being added soon :)
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think?

http://martialarts.world/luta-livre-marcelo-brigadeiro/
Awesome. Brigadeiro is a really grappling genius and was a class-act when he was briefly posting on Sherdog.

I think it depends on what camp you're with. You have some divisions, just like you do with catch-wrestling. But the roots of luta livre are certainly in catch-wrestling.

Just saw this seminar posting. Heading back East for the holidays so will try and make it.

Leozino Nogueira will be doing a No Gi Luta Livre Seminar in New York City on Sunday, December 2nd from 1-4pm cost: $70

Seminar will be held at Ultimate Gym

5 West 30th Street(5th Ave)

4th Floor NYC

Contact ultimate gym for further details 212 725-4666

View attachment 478207
That should mention that he is an ADCC Brazilian trials champion. That's no mean feat. One of the most exciting grapplers on the planet. If you don't think grappling is marketable as a combat sport, watch Leozino.

I wouldn't say it's more strength oriented at all. My LL coach is an old war veteran who got hit by a grenade back in the day, his shit is fucked and he cant move like he should yet he regularly tapped my younger, taller, stronger BJJ coach who was a Royler black belt

Just curious where you train, if you don't mind me asking? Luta Livre seems pretty rare in the U.S.. I live in a fairly large metro area and have yet to find any.

actually that’s the problem with LL, they don’t have as many entires a Bjj guys due to the lack of guard play.

There usually a couple ir ll guys going to Adcc, they don’t have many top players as right now, Nicolas Reiner and chocolate were LL best.

DDS would more than likely still do better due to more sponsorship = less time working and more time training and competing. Most high level LL guys suffer from a lack of exposure and dont get the financial option to dedicate 100% to competitive grappling as BJJ has much more notoriety. That's why most accomplished LL athletes go to mma for guaranteed paydays

I’m scratching my head trying to think on who are you taking about... I do agree, but sponsorship? The only guys getting paid for sponsorship are the top guys Gordon and hmmm maybe just him.. th rest makes a living (or lack of it) competing

thing is, LL is mostly based still in Brazil, and they as you said do not have the means of their American counterpart... then again, there’s a shit ton of élite Bjj guys coming out of Brazil

Back