News Luque vs Chiesa, UFC 265

Fuck yeah. I've been calling for this matchup for a while. I need Vicente to put Chiesa into a fist induced sleep.

Nice. Great match up.

Not a bad little scrap for UFC 265 headlined by TBD vs TBD at location TBD.

dang- good fight but i dont want either guy to lose

I was hoping for Luque vs Mas
Rooting for him vs Chiesa

Weird situation
If Wboy wins then Luque vs Chiesa winner, Wboy and Edwards all have an argument for a title shot

I was hoping for Luque vs Mas
Rooting for him vs Chiesa

Weird situation
If Wboy wins then Luque vs Chiesa winner, Wboy and Edwards all have an argument for a title shot
Well considering WB already has a W over Luque that already takes him out of the convo.

But I still feel Chiesa would need one more W.

Very close, evenly matched fight.

Luque might not be quite polished enough to avoid being taken down and controlled by Chiesa.
Chiesa’s clinch, takedown and ground game remind me of Oliveira’s, both have legit world class grappling for MMA.

Very good fight, makes sense I reckon. Rooting for Mr Violence himself, but Chiesa has a very real shot of grinding it out.

Guess it's time to see if that training with Platinum Mike Perry paid off.

This fight has a lot of layers to it and it's one I've wanted to see for a while. On the one hand I like it, but on the other I would have liked to see one or both guys fighting someone in the Top 5. It almost feels like the UFC is doing that thing again where they treat everyone outside of a select few guys at the compartmentalized peak of the division like they're in a separate, minor league promotion. 155 was guilty of this for quite some time. But I digress.

Like I said, it's an interesting fight. Luque has at times in the past struggled with even mediocre wrestlers who possess the ability to aggressively press him against the fence and outwork him from the clinch. Likewise, his TDD has been on occasionally porous and he has been submitted -- more than once -- by lesser grapplers than Chiesa. But he's a fantastic kickboxer who really exemplifies an archetype which would otherwise be a meme: the "technical brawler". He also has slick offensive submissions in his back pocket.

Conversely, Chiesa is on the wrong end of a massive striking differential here. He is the closest thing 170 has to the mythical "feeling around for the lightswitch in a pitch black room" striking style with Askren gone. Granted, his boxing seems to improve incrementally every time he steps into the cage -- he can catch guys with shots because here and there simply because they come from weird angles and off-tempo (not to mention the ever-present takedown threat). And when he does land, the shots do generally seem to have a fair amount of pop to them to his credit -- despite him not having any KOs.

That all being said, I don't see Vicente having any respect for Mikey's standup or the power coming his way. Both guys are pressure fighters by nature, so it'll really come down to who can impose their will on the other. Chiesa had questionable submission defense once upon a time, but that was when he was severely draining himself to make 155 -- a lot of those sub losses involved him being gassed and/or rocked first. At 170 he's a very different animal. Could Luque nail him with a knee or uppercut during an entry and then sink in one of his signature D'arces? Sure.

Both have granite chins -- they'll get rocked, even knocked down, but never KO'd. Luque is more likely to be the one to be the one to finally crack Chiesa's chin than vice versa.

I feel like the most likely scenario -- by the slimmest of margins -- is Chiesa outwrestling Luque to a 29-28 Decision. But maybe Vicente has really upped his TDD (especially coming off a T-Wood camp) and manages to sprawl-n-brawl his way to victory.

I like both guys, for the record.

Chiesa ducking the Magny rematch, but fine. This will work in the meantime.

Why on Earth does Chiesa owe Magny a rematch? He just got a dominant win over Neil in very recent memory. Neil won -- at best -- one round over him with zero controversy in the bout.

What are you on about?

Great fight. We need more clarity on the ww title picture tbh, colby should fight one more time.
Leon beat Diaz but no one can deny that last round was a bad look.
Wonderboy, if he beats burns, is the most deserving challenger imho.
The winner of this fight has earned to be in the discussion, as well.

Nick Diaz is there to feed someone too

Good fight. Pretty equalish standings. I'd pull for Luque, but i won't be angry with a Chiesa win. Certainly beating Luque should halt the critics of Chiesa's current standings.

I like both guys. Weird matchmaking imo. If luque wins here he is without a doubt a future contender, though I think the likely scenario is that chiesa covers him for 3 rounds
It's not really weird, colby and Masvidal are ducking fights. Leon just fought and will also be looking for a title fight.
Burns vs Wonderboy is already happening.
So there's no one left but each other, unless they want to fight way down the rankings.

Rooting for Luque. Such a fun fighter and seems like a nice guy as well.