Lower back stiffness from squats.....

Baconator69**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So yeah basically when I squatting when Im done a set I feel my lower back muscles tighten considerably. I try streching between sets but it does not help much.

I dont have a video to have my form looked at.

It is not really painful per say but it is uncomfortable. It does not hurt the next day or anything.

Anyone else experience this?

I have it right now. A few to many of my reps were GMs or close to it. I am guessing in my case this is the cause.

I think everyone who powerlifts has slightly fucked up backs. just get used to it.

I have it right now. A few to many of my reps were GMs or close to it. I am guessing in my case this is the cause.

^^^ You will have some lower back soreness regardless, but if it is really noticeable(feels like you just got done doing deadlifts), it is probably from goodmorning the weight. As usual, putting up a vid for people to look at is always good.

So yeah basically when I squatting when Im done a set I feel my lower back muscles tighten considerably. I try streching between sets but it does not help much.

I dont have a video to have my form looked at.

It is not really painful per say but it is uncomfortable. It does not hurt the next day or anything.

Anyone else experience this?

What kind of squat are you doing? (Bar position, stance, etc) If pronounced soreness or strain is only at the lower back, it's usually caused by rounding your lower back. You may be squatting lower than you are flexible enough to do so and even slight rounding puts tremendous pressure on the lower back due to the leverage. If you static stretch before or during squatting, never stretch the back. Make sure the stretching is for the hams and glutes. Otherwise you may just be exacerbating the issue.

You don't have any type of camera w/ video mode or even a camera phone?

I think everyone who powerlifts has slightly fucked up backs. just get used to it.

My back has never felt better since I've been squatting and deadlifting.

And in response to dealing with back soreness, I like rotational/twisting stretches, as well as reaching toward the toes while standing and keeping the back straight, folding at the hips. I never stretch during or immediately after lifting. I wait until the next day.

What kind of squat are you doing? (Bar position, stance, etc) If pronounced soreness or strain is only at the lower back, it's usually caused by rounding your lower back. You may be squatting lower than you are flexible enough to do so and even slight rounding puts tremendous pressure on the lower back due to the leverage. If you static stretch before or during squatting, never stretch the back. Make sure the stretching is for the hams and glutes. Otherwise you may just be exacerbating the issue.

You don't have any type of camera w/ video mode or even a camera phone?

Standard back squats. I squat as low as I can, below parallel. I have a camera phone, but really keep to myself at the gym, kind of anti-social even as my gym if full of complete retards. I would feel weird asking someone to film me squatting.

I usually get a some-what sore lower back the next day after deadlifting heavy. I always thought it was a good feeling, like a feeling of accomplishment. I've never had a sore back from squats though..

My back is in better shape than 95% of the people out there that dont lift.

And you dont just "get used" to a fucked up back. What a stupid thing to say.

Wear this, and go sit in the corner.
dunce-cap-2.gif

I would guess that you're tail tucking.

I'm trying to get over some tail tuck right now. I can definately feel the added stress put on my back when my form breaks down and I round my lower back. This usually happens right before I get to parallel and like you said I always make sure I go past parallel.

So from my limited knowledge I'd say you're probably rounding your back in the last 4-6 inches of your squat. Which I believe is corrected by stretching your hamstrings, at least that's what I've been doing, so I hope that's right.

Which I believe is corrected by stretching your hamstrings, at least that's what I've been doing, so I hope that's right.

Stretching your hamstrings, glutes and piriformis, and making sure you're pushing your knees out. Theres also the possibility of it being related to the hip flexors either not being activated, or being weak.

What does "Rounding the back" mean? how does it feel? Im new to squatting.

How do you stretch your glutes? Im going to try stretching more after my warm up sets.

Ty for the replies guys.

What does "Rounding the back" mean? how does it feel? Im new to squatting.

How do you stretch your glutes? Im going to try stretching more after my warm up sets.

Ty for the replies guys.

If your back is rounding it probably means you have tight hamstrings. Get a skipping rope loop it around your foot, ie on your back then keeping your leg straight pull your foot towards your head, hold for 30 seconds, repeat 3 times fo reach leg.

You may have issues with hip flexibility which in turn affects other areas like your back.

Do you squat in flat sole shoes? You may benefit from a slight heel like in olympic lifting shoes to help reach depth more easily without falling over, rounding back, or tail tucking.

What people don't realize is that even if you dont GM the weight your lower back has alot to do with the squat. You will feel stiffness in your lower back but as long as its not painful you should be fine.

You may have issues with hip flexibility which in turn affects other areas like your back.

Do you squat in flat sole shoes? You may benefit from a slight heel like in olympic lifting shoes to help reach depth more easily without falling over, rounding back, or tail tucking.

I thought flat sole shoes were the way forward for most lifts??

Back