Low Carb Diet

Chulo**

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I had been looking into this since last year and now I have "some" money to afford some of the things needed for this, just got a few questions.

1. Can you eat fruit or not? I keep reading in some that it's cool and others that it's not. It would such if I have to avoid fruit, because it would be one of the foods I could eat and find easily and also afford as a snack or make a meal out of with other things.

2. How does dairy do in this diet? I don't drink a lot of milk but I like Yogurt a lot, a specific one would be one Noosa, but I'm not sure if it would be cool.

3. In order me to think I can do this diet, essential foods off the top of the head for me would be eating beef, and I read it's kinda bad and it's kinda good, so I need thoughts on this. I would be eating it in forms of pepper steak or just slice it with vegetables and eat it or other ideas. Or maybe just season it and cook it.

4. How is energy on this? Am I going to be tired all the time?

Thanks.

1. Be discerning. Avocados, yes. Grapes, no. Look for fibrous fruits - not sugar fruits.
2. Don't drink milk (too much sugar). Heavy cream, full fat yogurts, cheese are OK. Some cheese have negligible/no sugar, such as cheddar. Never get anything low fat.
3. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
4. You'll be fine. BUT: you need to drink broth. In traditional diet there was much more blood in the diet, which handled our need for sodium. IN a low carb diet, you excrete a lot of sodium, and if it gets too low, you'll get dizzy. So, you need to drink broth. Just take 2-3 buillion cubes a day and throw it in 3-4 cups of boiling water.

If you want to know all the science check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716

Last edited:
Why do you want to do a low carb diet?

Lose weight, mostly fat.
1. Be discerning. Avocados, yes. Grapes, no. Look for fibrous fruits - not sugar fruits.
2. Don't drink milk (too much sugar). Heavy cream, full fat yogurts, cheese are OK. Some cheese have negligible/no sugar, such as cheddar. Never get anything low fat.
3. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
4. You'll be fine. BUT: you need to drink broth. In traditional diet there was much more blood in the diet, which handled our need for sodium. IN a low carb diet, you excrete a lot of sodium, and if it gets too low, you'll get dizzy. So, you need to drink broth. Just take 2-3 buillion cubes a day and throw it in 3-4 cups of boiling water.

If you want to know all the science check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716

Thanks. So apples and bananas would be a bad choice to eat for this diet?

This can easily be done without eliminating an entire macronutrient.

Quite honestly my idea of a low carb diet would be eliminating most grain foods as possible, this means bread and spaghetti and all that shit that comes from grain, but I was looking into low carb diet and I'm like shit might as well try it. I'm still looking into a diet tho.

Lose weight, mostly fat.
Going low carb won't automatically do that.

If you want to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit. No women's magazine diet will change this.

Then you pretty much have to do heavy strength training. This is the only thing that has any relevant impact on whether your weight loss will be muscles or fat.

The two above things are way more important then anything else, what/when/how you eat is way down on the list. Personally I'd base my diet choices on what will make me perform the best in the gym. Going low on carbs is the complete opposite of that.

I have lost 70lbs mainly by following a low carb, moderate fat, and high Protein "diet". The first thing you should do is figure out how many Calories you are going to take in everyday. You will have to make a choice as to how big of a calorie deficit you want to set your diet to. (If you need to eat 2,500calories a day to maintain weight, you can choose to set the bar at 2,200 or 2,000 or etc.I recommend slow and steady weight loss unless you are obese or have to make weight soon. Then you will need to decide what you want to set your Macronutrients aka Macros % at. (Example: 20% carbs, 40% Fat, 40% Protein). I'll put my answers to your ?'s below...

1. Can you eat fruit or not? I keep reading in some that it's cool and others that it's not. It would such if I have to avoid fruit, because it would be one of the foods I could eat and find easily and also afford as a snack or make a meal out of with other things.

EAT WHOLE FRUIT. Fruit is the shiznit for so many reasons. It is nutrient dense, has natural sugar, tastes great, and most fruit has a decent amount of fiber in it. I usually eat fruit before and after working out. Don't eat canned fruit, fruit cups, or any of that other crap that has sugar added. I eat Strawberries, Apples, and Bananas.

2. How does dairy do in this diet? I don't drink a lot of milk but I like Yogurt a lot, a specific one would be one Noosa, but I'm not sure if it would be cool.

Dairy is not evil! I love UNflavored Greek Yogurt and low-fat/fat free cottage cheese. I don't drink milk, because I try to go by the "Eat your calories, don't drink them" philosophy. Unsweetened Almond milk is a good alternative to cow's milk.

3. In order me to think I can do this diet, essential foods off the top of the head for me would be eating beef, and I read it's kinda bad and it's kinda good, so I need thoughts on this. I would beeating it in forms of pepper steak or just slice it with vegetables and eat it or other ideas. Or maybe just season it and cook it.

Beef is not bad in moderation bro! Having lean beef (ground beef, sirloin cuts, etc.) a couple times a week is perfectly fine. As far as meat/fish I mainly eat skinless Chicken Breast (every damn day), lots of tuna, salmon, and Turkey products (burgers, bacon, ground turkey, etc.)

Mixed Green frozen veggies is in my everday arsenal. Veggies are high in fiber and very nutrient dense, meaning you can eat a ton of them while only taking in 100-200calories. Every supermarket sells their own mix. The one I always get has brocolli, green beans, onions, and mushrooms.

4. How is energy on this? Am I going to be tired all the time?

You might feel a small drop in your overall energy level when you first switch to a low carb diet. But this can be minimized. Like I said above, I take in most of my daily carbs before and after working out. I eat Quick oats added with a scoop of whey protein, strawberries, natutal peanut butter, egg whites (put them in after you heat up the oats), and cinnamon. After working out I usually grt my carbs from Banana and 1-2 pieces whole wheat toast (tuna sandwich). I usually get the small remainder of my daily carbs from green veggies at Dinner and from Greek Yogurt as a late night snackie.

To make up for the decrease in calories from carbs, you will eat more Healthy Fat (Avocados, Olive Oil, Almonds, Natural Peanut butter, google the rest) and Protein.

Take Caffeine before every workout for an energy boost if you aren't sensitive to it. This can be from coffee, a preworkout supplement, caffeine pills, etc.

I have a few ?'s for you: How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What's your target weight? Do you have a specific deadline or are you flexible? Are you going to be lifting Weights to minimize muscle loss?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, very informative.

I'm 5'9 or 5'10 somewhere around there. I'm about 205 right now and my target is 160-170, lower if possible. I would honestly want to be good to go by June or July as I'm going to have a special event and want to look good and I want to compete. I train BJJ almost 4-5 times a week and I'm going to add lifting weights to it as well.

I have a few questions:

You mention you eat oats and bread; how low do you go on your carbs? I was thinking about eating some oatmeal with flax seeds and whole grain cereal and fruit some days but I figured it would be a little too much.

How long did it take you to take off 70 pounds?

1. While fruits are fine, I would avoid them as much as possible since
most of them have too much carbs. Nuts or cheese are better as snacks.
2. Avoid milk as much as possible (too much sugar). Heavy cream,
cheese and (especially) butter is recommended. If you feel hungry just
eat more fat.
3. As Nemesis48 said check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for some
insperation.
4.In the beginning you will probably feel tired. It took a week for me
before I felt fine mentally. But it took a little longer for the muscles
to adapt. (Maybe 3 months).

I have done low carb for a year now, and I it works really good for me. I am curious if everyone will have similair (good) effects.

My rule of thumb is that you never buy stuff with more carbs than
5g/100g. Which means that you would stay under 20g a day on average, enough to $
keep you in ketosis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7aGnfLB-8).

good luck!

Thanks for the info, very informative.

I'm 5'9 or 5'10 somewhere around there. I'm about 205 right now and my target is 160-170, lower if possible. I would honestly want to be good to go by June or July as I'm going to have a special event and want to look good and I want to compete. I train BJJ almost 4-5 times a week and I'm going to add lifting weights to it as well.

I have a few questions:

You mention you eat oats and bread; how low do you go on your carbs? I was thinking about eating some oatmeal with flax seeds and whole grain cereal and fruit some days but I figured it would be a little too much.

How long did it take you to take off 70 pounds?

Ok I plugged your info into a daily calorie calculator. With 5 days of intense training per week, you would have to eat approx 2,973calories per day to maintain your current weight. I 4got to ask ur age so I just put 26yrs old. One way to go about it is to start off eating 2,470cals/day which is a deficit of 500cals. In February you can drop to 2,270 which is a deficit of 700cals. In March you might cut it to 2,170 and then Add 100-200cals each Month until you compete so you won't be at a huge calorie deficit when you are ready to fight.

Here is what your Macros would look like if you were eating 4 meals totalling 2,470cals a day 20%carbs 40%fat 40%protein:

RESULTS - AMOUNT OF NUTRIENT REQUIRED

GRAMS per day 123g Carbs. 247g Protein 109g. Fat

GRAMS per meal 30.8g C. 61.8g P. 27.3g F

CALORIES per day 494 cals C. 988 cals P. 988 cals F

CALORIES per meal 123.5 cals C. 247 cals P. 247 cals F

You should do it yourself so you can tweak the #'s to your liking. Google "freedieting daily calorie calculator" then plug your Calorie # into "freedieting macros calculator".

Answers: I would stick to Quick Oats and 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread or a whole wheat tortilla each day. Bread isn't the BEST superfood for weightloss ever but its a lot better being able to cram a bunch of tuna into a sandwich instead of eating it in a lameass salad lol. I would stay away from the cereal, but if you do make sure to eat it with Unsweetened almond milk.

It took me FOREVER, close to 3 years to lose all of this weight....reasons 1. I learned a lot more about nutrition/training as I went along. I stopped listening to iddiots and did my own research. 2. I used to drink lots of beer/liquor on weekends. I don't drink at all now. 3. I went on benders where I wouldnt train for a few weeks in a row and eat like a slob. I try not to do that anymore!

You CAN reach your goal of 170 in June in a healthy fashion without burning through all of your Muscle! If.....You don't drink Alcohol, cut that shit out completely. Your reason to be in Fighting shape has to remain more important than your reason to drink, eat crap food, skip training, etc.

Plan, plan, plan. Plan your meals, plan your workout routine, plan to drink 1Gallon of Water errrrday, plan to get 8hours sleeo or more every night possible, plan your Cheat meal (once every 2 weeks or rotate it to once a week every now n then).

Once again appreciate the info. I'm actually 19 and I don't drink. I do smoke weed a lot though, but it does not affect me health wise in any way, or give me those "munchies" people claim, I use it for mental rest and just to relax.

Thanks again.

1. While fruits are fine, I would avoid them as much as possible since
most of them have too much carbs. Nuts or cheese are better as snacks.
2. Avoid milk as much as possible (too much sugar). Heavy cream,
cheese and (especially) butter is recommended. If you feel hungry just
eat more fat.
3. As Nemesis48 said check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for some
insperation.
4.In the beginning you will probably feel tired. It took a week for me
before I felt fine mentally. But it took a little longer for the muscles
to adapt. (Maybe 3 months).

I have done low carb for a year now, and I it works really good for me. I am curious if everyone will have similair (good) effects.

My rule of thumb is that you never buy stuff with more carbs than
5g/100g. Which means that you would stay under 20g a day on average, enough to $
keep you in ketosis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7aGnfLB-8).

good luck!

I actually read nuts were pretty as well, but I think it's more of looking out for how many carbs you eat rather than looking out for not eating any at all.

Once again appreciate the info. I'm actually 19 and I don't drink. I do smoke weed a lot though, but it does not affect me health wise in any way, or give me those "munchies" people claim, I use it for mental rest and just to relax.

Thanks again.

Ur welcome brotha, feel free to hit me if you have any more ?'s

Going low carb won't automatically do that.

If you want to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit. No women's magazine diet will change this.

Then you pretty much have to do heavy strength training. This is the only thing that has any relevant impact on whether your weight loss will be muscles or fat.

The two above things are way more important then anything else, what/when/how you eat is way down on the list. Personally I'd base my diet choices on what will make me perform the best in the gym. Going low on carbs is the complete opposite of that.

Heavy strength training is NOT a mandatory component of losing fat. The insinuation that training while utilizing low-carb nutrition is the opposite of having good performance is also an improperly general notion. Like any means of maintaining a caloric deficit, how it's done is extremely important when it comes to being athletic with it. There's no need for broad, discouraging generalizations such as this.

Heavy strength training is NOT a mandatory component of losing fat. The insinuation that training while utilizing low-carb nutrition is the opposite of having good performance is also an improperly general notion. Like any means of maintaining a caloric deficit, how it's done is extremely important when it comes to being athletic with it. There's no need for broad, discouraging generalizations such as this.

I agree that strength training isn't mandatory, but, outside of setting a deficit, some form of lifting is probably the closest thing to mandatory there is when it comes to dieting. There's simply nothing else besides lifting that impacts the ratio of fat to LBM lost in any appreciable way. I mean, there are other methods, like modified CKDs with full glycogen depletion, but they're super complicated and usually require lifting of some kind.

I agree that strength training isn't mandatory, but, outside of setting a deficit, some form of lifting is probably the closest thing to mandatory there is when it comes to dieting. There's simply nothing else besides lifting that impacts the ratio of fat to LBM lost in any appreciable way. I mean, there are other methods, like modified CKDs with full glycogen depletion, but they're super complicated and usually require lifting of some kind.

I don't want to get into a huge debate about the validity of lifting, because I don't disagree that a lifting program can be useful to almost anyone. However, there are plenty of athletes and laypeople alike who don't, for whatever reason. Either they prefer not to, or the other aspects of their particular sports take up more of their time along with working jobs, families, etc., and they do not wish to abandon said Sport simply to facilitate a lifting program. They're capable of losing fat and maintaining muscle just the same, granted other factors are in place. One could argue it's merely trading one form of complication for the other, but such is the balancing act of being athletic, or an athlete.

I would like to lift but sometimes I find myself drained from work (I work 4 am shifts) and BJJ already, and the not eating many carbohydrates is just gonna fuck me up more. This diet seems good but the energy part is not cool, especially because I have to work the way I do. Would not eating bread or tortillas and stuff like that make me have similar effects? While avoiding soda and sugar as well? I think fruit is necessary for me and I eat meat like a monster too.

I know me losing weight comes down to my calories, but I'm just asking would leaving grains out make a difference?

Low carb is old news. Its all about macros now. If it fits your macros eat it.

Back