Low Carb Diet

I would like to lift but sometimes I find myself drained from work (I work 4 am shifts) and BJJ already, and the not eating many carbohydrates is just gonna fuck me up more. This diet seems good but the energy part is not cool, especially because I have to work the way I do. Would not eating bread or tortillas and stuff like that make me have similar effects? While avoiding soda and sugar as well? I think fruit is necessary for me and I eat meat like a monster too.

I know me losing weight comes down to my calories, but I'm just asking would leaving grains out make a difference?

What you can do is figure out the total amount of Calories you are going to eat everyday is start with a Macros profile (%Carbs %Protein %Fat) and adjust it as you go along to meet your energy needs. So if you start off with 20% of your calories coming from Carbs and 40% from fat, you can up the Carbs to 25% and lower the Fats to 35% if you are lacking in energy.

Focus on eating whole, unprocessed foods. Keep eating whole fruit pre and postworkout and get your green veggies everyday. Don't drink fruit juice from concentrate. Eliminate soda and any sugary drinks, candy, and anything with a high sugar content. Research "complex carbohydrates". Avoid any "enriched" bread and stick with Whole wheat if anything. Some people prefer following a Paleo diet which cuts out bread and grains altogether.

Since your work and BJJ schedule is set, see if you can figure out the days/times you feel more energetic...schedule your lifting sessions during those time periods.

You can incorporate a "refeed day" once every week or 2 where you eat 2-3x the amount of Carbs that you eat on a regular diet day.

Last edited:
I've been reading up a lot on the paleo diet and it makes sense to me but I am no doctor. Stuff the paleo diet crowd say about people getting weaker after the advent of agriculture coincides with some of the papers I've read in school. But has anyone read any scholarly papers that say the opposite?

Also, has cutting out grains made a huge difference? I have tried cutting out carbs when cutting weight for fights and while I did lose weight, I also ate very little general since I'm you know, cutting weight. I am now trying to lose weight in general so cutting weight will be easier for me come fight night. I've been trying to eliminate grains and processed sugar. I haven't been strict about it (had a coffee with sugar and milk before training) but I did see that I gained less weight than I expected despite stuffing my face with tons of nuts with honey after meals. On another note limiting fruit right now is the hardest thing for me because I'm craving sweets, but again, I gained less weight than I expected after eating what I thought was too much.

I've been reading up a lot on the paleo diet and it makes sense to me but I am no doctor. Stuff the paleo diet crowd say about people getting weaker after the advent of agriculture coincides with some of the papers I've read in school. But has anyone read any scholarly papers that say the opposite?

How could that claim possibly be able verified? Did some cave write how much he could lift on some cave wall?

TS - go buy yourself a Bodymedia - get your REAL # of how much calories you burn a day with all of your activity.

than eat 500 LESS of that # to lose bodyfat. NUFF SAID

Also, has cutting out grains made a huge difference? I have tried cutting out carbs when cutting weight for fights and while I did lose weight, I also ate very little general since I'm you know, cutting weight. I am now trying to lose weight in general so cutting weight will be easier for me come fight night. I've been trying to eliminate grains and processed sugar. I haven't been strict about it (had a coffee with sugar and milk before training) but I did see that I gained less weight than I expected despite stuffing my face with tons of nuts with honey after meals. On another note limiting fruit right now is the hardest thing for me because I'm craving sweets, but again, I gained less weight than I expected after eating what I thought was too much.

Add Fruit to your Diet! It is indeed a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth. Add Splenda or Stevia to your Coffee instead of Sugar. Nuts are fine, honey is fine.....just figure out how many calories you are eating and how many you need to maintain your current weight, subtract 500 or 700-800cals if you have a deadline to meet soon.

Trust me, it might seem like it's a pain in the ass to track your calories, but it feels a lot better knowing YOU are in Control of how much weight you lose and are not just leaving it up to chance. Create a list of the foods you eat in a typical day, then add up the total calories. Once you have a base layout of your diet, you can add/subtract foods/portions as you go along.

Eating at a Caloric deficit with a Diet made up of: Nutrient Dense Foods + Healthy Fats + Complex Carbohydrates + Lean Protein + Fiberous food + 1 Gallon of Water + Training = SUCCESS

Well, I try to do something like 5-15-80 or 5-20-75 (carb-protein-fat).

Are you concerned with Muscle loss? Are you aiming for quick weight loss or Fat loss?

It would be wise to up your Protein % to make it so you are getting 1-1.5g Protein daily.

Are you concerned with Muscle loss? Are you aiming for quick weight loss or Fat loss?

It would be wise to up your Protein % to make it so you are getting 1-1.5g Protein daily.

Well, I am not loosing any muscles, or at least I am not loosing strength. I am not aiming for weight loss or fat loss (180 cm 76 kg). I am just doing this to find out how it affects my performance and how I feel in general. While this might not be the optimal way of eating for building muscle, I have made steady progress in the gym during the last 6 months.

Diet plays a vital role in our health maintenance and fitness.IN a low carb diet, you excrete a lot of sodium, and if it gets too low, you'll get dizzy. So, you need to drink broth. Just take 2-3 buillion cubes a day and throw it in 3-4 cups of boiling water.

How could that claim possibly be able verified? Did some cave write how much he could lift on some cave wall?
No, but the bones can be examined.

Basically, strength and brain size have decreased since the advent of agriculture. Whether this is due to diet or increase in population, or people with weak genetics surviving more easily is debatable.

But its pretty much a no-brainer that a hunter-gatherer that spent most of his time walking/hunting would be stronger than a farmer.

Back