Losing to grappling & wrestling in a 5 rounder

elcj

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I agree grappling and wrestling can be boring and cheap asf, imo the longer the fight, the more legit MMA display it is imo.

In a 3 rounders, you see fighters resort to wrestling to steal a round. It's feels cheap more often than not and doesn't really reflect the balance of the fight.

In a 5 rounder, if you get dominated by wrestling for most of the fight, then that's just on you. Every round starts on the feet and that gives the striker plenty of opportunities and seconds chances.

You people like to talk about "a real fight". If the fight was even longer than 5 rounds (closer to a real fight) or/and the fighters didn't get separated and stood up every 5 minutes, eventually the dominant fighter using wrestling would wear down the striker to the point he could do whatever he wanted to him.

Yeah, Sean literally looked lost in the grappling exchanges. Merab is a super high level wrestler with insane cardio, but O'Malley really looked like he had no clue on how to post, spread his base, against the fence, scramble, etc...

It looked like he thought his footwork was going to prevent him from being grappled to begin with, along with maybe thinking he'd spark Merab out before getting grappled fucked.

He definitely needs a ton of improvement in his TDD and getting back to his feet if he wants to sniff the belt again.

I disagree on principle that the shorter the fight is, the better of a fighter you are. Fights only go this long because people have conditioned themselves on the easiest way to win (a decision)

Aspinall finished Volkov in 3:45 into the first round by submission. Volkov could probably take 2 Merabs. Just saying

Winning by decision shouldn't even be a goal. There should be a time limit given to finish your opponent and it goes to a draw after unless someone is clearly defeated already.

I’m still curious why this is the first time we’ve seen O’Malley get schooled like this. Is Merab that much of a better grappler than all of his previous opponents? I mean Merab is definitely the best O’Malley has faced, but THAT much better? Maybe so… And maybe Merab deserves more credit and O’Malley deserves less blame.

Yeah, Sean literally looked lost in the grappling exchanges. Merab is a super high level wrestler with insane cardio, but O'Malley really looked like he had no clue on how to post, spread his base, against the fence, scramble, etc...

It looked like he thought his footwork was going to prevent him from being grappled to begin with, along with maybe thinking he'd spark Merab out before getting grappled fucked.

He definitely needs a ton of improvement in his TDD and getting back to his feet if he wants to sniff the belt again.
Sean is good but he's overrated and it was only a matter of time before he lost that belt (UFC were ran out of favourable matchups for him).

I disagree on principle that the shorter the fight is, the better of a fighter you are. Fights only go this long because people have conditioned themselves on the easiest way to win (a decision)

Aspinall finished Volkov in 3:45 into the first round by submission. Volkov could probably take 2 Merabs. Just saying

Winning by decision shouldn't even be a goal. There should be a time limit given to finish your opponent and it goes to a draw after unless someone is clearly defeated already.
Huh?
HW fights are typically shorter because they have more KO power and tend to lean more towards strength over technique.

If you're trying to imply the more strength you have, the better fighter you are, then I guess strong wrestlers are better fighters.
What's your logic? I don't think you have one. You're just trying to find ways to validate your excuses as to why your fav fighters lost.

And what are you saying? You want fights that last 3 rounds and if nobody is KO'd/TKO'd or submitted, it should be a draw?
Do you realise how silly that sounds? lol

I’m still curious why this is the first time we’ve seen O’Malley get schooled like this. Is Merab that much of a better grappler than all of his previous opponents? I mean Merab is definitely the best O’Malley has faced, but THAT much better? Maybe so… And maybe Merab deserves more credit and O’Malley deserves less blame.
Merab really is that good.

But also, UFC have given Sean favourable matchups and he got a decision vs Yan that he probably should've lost.

Sterlings grappling isn't as good as Merab's but he probably would've done similar to Sean if he had more time to prepare and UFC didn't force him to fight Sean injured.

Merab really is that good.

But also, UFC have given Sean favourable matchups and he got a decision vs Yan that he probably should've lost.

Sterlings grappling isn't as good as Merab's but he probably would've done similar to Sean if he had more time to prepare and UFC didn't force him to fight Sean injured.

Would it be fair to say Sterlings grappling IS better than Merab but his takedowns nor his cardio are as good as Merabs ?

The only thing I don't understand is the explosion of hatred for wrestling since Saturday night and acting like MMA should be all standup. It might be boring, but too bad. It's probably only because you wanted Merab to lose. I wanted him to win and I didn't think it was that boring. It's not like this is even the first time wrestling has won a belt. And also, remember Woodley's boring defenses which WEREN'T wrestling?

The only thing I don't understand is the explosion of hatred for wrestling since Saturday night and acting like MMA should be all standup. It might be boring, but too bad. It's probably only because you wanted Merab to lose. I wanted him to win and I didn't think it was that boring. It's not like this is even the first time wrestling has won a belt. And also, remember Woodley's boring defenses which WEREN'T wrestling?
Right. And some pure strikers like Adesanya get a lot of hate for boring fights every now and then.

Really it's just people mostly mad that their fav fighter lost and couldn't/didn't do anything

Sean also looked weak and flat, and lucky lost heart. Even when he nailed Merab in the last round, he didn't push it like he should have.

He was more afraid of getting taken down then he was desiring of getting a knockout, his only chance to victory at that point.

Imo if you spend 3 rounds with your back stuck to the cage and you can't do anything like Aldo vs Merab for example, well it's on you.

wrestling, grappling can be very entertaining look at charles oliveira. its the laying and praying with no damage that is getting the hate and rightfully so. if you take someone down try to submit or finish the guy instead trying to run the time out. its the same reason point fighting gets hate even in striking

I agree.
Fight should start at sunrise and end at sundown.
With our advanced technology AI could keep a constant stream of excitement in the fights while maybe 120 fights are going on at the same time.
This is the future of the sport!

wrestling, grappling can be very entertaining look at charles oliveira. its the laying and praying with no damage that is getting the hate and rightfully so. if you take someone down try to submit or finish the guy instead trying to run the time out. its the same reason point fighting gets hate

Member when lay n pray used to refer to guys who stall laying on their back in closed guard and pray for a stand up?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Huh?
HW fights are typically shorter because they have more KO power and tend to lean more towards strength over technique.

If you're trying to imply the more strength you have, the better fighter you are, then I guess strong wrestlers are better fighters.
What's your logic? I don't think you have one. You're just trying to find ways to validate your excuses as to why your fav fighters lost.

And what are you saying? You want fights that last 3 rounds and if nobody is KO'd/TKO'd or submitted, it should be a draw?
It sounds silly to you because you've never encountered the idea. They would fight differently as a result. If it's a total pick em, or nobody came close to finishing the fight, nobody wins. That's actually already what happens. It's just more accurate.

I have a feeling some of you may enjoy point karate or youth wrestling more

Nobody needs 15 or 25 minutes to beat somebody they're clearly better than. Fights only go this long because (ideally) both competitors are skilled and it's back and forth. Interpreting that as "I must instead control my opponent for that length" is a bastardization of fighting. It's a limit set in place for both fighters' safety in case both are too tough to go down. And for broadcasting

You're too deep in the weeds here. Are heavier weight classes being protected from lighter ones? Clearly the stronger fighter is the better fighter. You're seeing MMA only, not fighting. What's being displayed and touted as "skill" is getting away from what it means in the first place

Don't worry though... This happens all the time. People learn to exploit rulesets. Go look at what happened in powerlifting with people arching on the bench press. It eventually got so silly it wasn't even benching anymore. Then the rules changed. The same will happen here when people realize holding your opponent down for time isn't fighting. It's boring as sin so I'm surprised it's taking this long

"Hey tough guy... You wouldn't want to meet me in a dark alley. You'd have to wait til morning for someone to come along and separate us. Then we both go on unhurt with our day!"

I mean it is more civil. I give you that.

Huh?

Btw, I am in support of one uninterrupted round, though of course that is unlikely to happen, at least anytime soon. However unless it's still impossible to win on time (aka, there's no time limit, or it goes to draw), there should still be standups for inactivity. Stalling isn't fighting as much as running away from your opponent isn't fighting. And it's broadcasted and everyone's time is being wasted. If it's literally no time limits then go for it.

Btw some orgs do penalize people for running all fight, it just doesn't happen a lot in the UFC

"I'm faster, so I must be the better fighter"

I mean, there's logic there... It just sucks. It's true that if your opponent can't catch you, they can't hurt you. Just like it's true that if your opponent can't move, they can't hurt you

Imo if you spend 3 rounds with your back stuck to the cage and you can't do anything like Aldo vs Merab for example, well it's on you.
I rewatched this fight a couple times already. Aldo TDD is godlike and he wasnt any young when they fought. Impressive shit.

Back