Losing Strength Rapidly

Brighty Boy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I have lost a fair bit of weight over the last few months but over the last couple of weeks I have really noticed a difference in my strength. You can read what happened last night here

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f49/showthread.php?t=2519607

I know I don't have as much weight to throw around but surely I shouldn't lose this much strength? Especially against guys same sort of size as me?

I thought at first that I may have lost weight too fast but I have averaged about 1lb per week so that's not excessive.

I always prided myself on being really strong for my size and it helped me in the very early days getting people off me. Now when I am on bottom I feel like I am getting over powered much easier although my technique and positioning is better.

The other issue I have got is that everyone as told me the same thing. Get technique FIRST, don't worry about this and that just get technique. To build conditioning go to class, class will condition you. TO get better go to class. Never miss a class to go running or strength training etc

SO Now I have classes of MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing 4 evenings a week and some of those are double classes i.e KBB then BJJ.

So when do I fit in proper strength training with adequate time to rest. etc? Working full time and having my kids at week end limit my time that's why Mon to Thur is good for me.

Any suggestions or advice of any of this would be great. Cause I am pissed:icon_evil

When did you last have a week off training or deload? How much do you train a week? Total

If you have reduced your calories you could be struggling to recover.

Thanks for asking .....

I had 7 days off just over 2 weeks ago. I trained last week and his week since the break.

Mon MMA 2 hr
Tue Kickboxing 1 hr BJJ 2 hr
Wed MMA 2 hr
The Kickboxing 1 hr BJJ 2 hr
Fri REST
Sat I was thinking of using this day to strength train
Sun REST

Yes, I have reduced my calories somewhat. im not eating anywhere near what I was. I am looking much better leaner and more muscular though. Ive been averaging a loss of about 1lb a week so I though I had the diet about right?

You recently added the kickboxing. It is a new stressor to your body. You need to eat more to fuel that extra activity.

Will adding calories make a big difference to strength though. I mean, I am not gassing during training.

Adding in more calories will aid recovery between training.should make you feel fresher/ more energetic during sessions

Your muscles need glycogen stored in them to work. If you're doing cardio/kickboxing, you're burning through these stores. If you don't eat enough to replace these stores when it comes to lifting, your muscles have less in them before they start to fail. You lift less and can do less work.

This is why people carb load - it's to fill their muscles with glycogen so they can do work in the gym. Whether it's a 1RM squat or doing 50 burpees, the muscle groups used for both use the same glycogen stores.

This is also ignoring the fact that you only lift one day per week - this is only enough to really maintain strength at best. Many people find that 2 days is the minimum they need to maintain strength.

Back