losing fat and muscle

ive been getting under 50 carbs a day and not eating near that amount of protein a day and i still am not seeing results im hoping this diet pill i take tomorrow is gonna be a mircale
Carb timing is very important, only eat them at dinner. two to four eggs and a little meat (4 - 8oz) at lunch would keep you from being too hungry until dinner. Too little protein is bad as well, it always needs to be in the range of what I mentioned because the right amount actually helps you lose weight. What do you weigh?

Too much protein will stall weight loss as will too many carbs. I would keep protein at 1g per lb LEAN weight per day to spare muscle breakdown, carbs under 50g a day (eaten only at dinner and stick to sweet potato) and get a little healthy fat like olive oil/cod liver oil/avocado in around lunch to keep hunger under control until dinner. Don't eat breakfast, your body will burn fat in the morning that way. Get a full 8 hours of sleep a night and cut the cardio back as it might be working against you. This is really just for weight loss into the sub 10% BF range, to start gaining mass again you would need to lift heavy and eat carbs/fat based on activity level (each day could be different).

What the fuck? Source.

Carb timing is very important, only eat them at dinner. two to four eggs and a little meat (4 - 8oz) at lunch would keep you from being too hungry until dinner. Too little protein is bad as well, it always needs to be in the range of what I mentioned because the right amount actually helps you lose weight. What do you weigh?

Oh, you must have been a writer for Men's Fitness circa 1996. Gotcha

What the fuck? Source.

Oh, you must have been a writer for Men's Fitness circa 1996. Gotcha
Instead of cherry picking mainstream nutrition data (especially mostly wrong advice from Men's Fitness) I follow NUSI heads Gary Taubes and Peter Attia as well as the most scientifically sound voice in nutrition Robb Wolf. Read the paleo solution or The primal blueprint. Read The paleo diet for athletes by Dr. Loren Cordain or listen to Chris Kresser's podcast.

In fact JOE ROGAN recently had Robb on his podcast as a leader in nutrition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-WRn8UttXw
I dont have a link to a cherry picked source or a flawed study that won't show the big picture, but I do follow the people that lead the field of nutrition. Stop reading shitty magazines, Jillian michaels and watching Dr. oz and look at the real science. ANYTHING that these folks have done will vouch that I know what I'm talking about. So how about you pull up your pants like a big boy, go learn whats real and stop listening to your friends. Even most trained nutritionalists have no idea what they are talking about (calories in calories out bullshit).

Instead of cherry picking mainstream nutrition data (especially mostly wrong advice from Men's Fitness) I follow NUSI heads Gary Taubes and Peter Attia as well as the most scientifically sound voice in nutrition Robb Wolf. Read the paleo solution or The primal blueprint. Read The paleo diet for athletes by Dr. Loren Cordain or listen to Chris Kresser's podcast.

I dont have a link to a cherry picked source or a flawed study that won't show the big picture, but I do follow the people that lead the field of nutrition. Stop reading shitty magazines, Jillian michaels and watching Dr. oz and look at the real science. ANYTHING that these folks have done will vouch that I know what I'm talking about. So how about you pull up your pants like a big boy, go learn whats real and stop listening to your friends. Even most trained nutritionalists have no idea what they are talking about (calories in calories out bullshit).

First of all, fuck your font. Second of all, paleo diet works because it removes junk food and dramatically lowers simple carb consumption. Not because it's some holy grail diet for wellness.

Thirdly I could give fuck all about what some dumbass said on another dumbass' podcast. Carb timing and all that shit, is just that, shit and you're spouting it. His science is laughed at nowadays and I don't think I know of any (natty) bbers or athletes who time carb consumption.

Calories in/calories out is exactly all diet boils down to, at least after you've calculated your macros. Things are different when you're trying to retain as much muscle mass as possible while getting to 5% bodyfat ie getting ready for a bodybuilding comp.

im at 198 right now hoping to get to 185 by jan 17th then cut water from there

First, are you beings serious with the Taube references?

Second, please lay off the color and font.

How tall are you? Are you sure you are fighting at the fighting at the right weight class? What sport do you compete in? I don't think 1200 calories a day is healthy.

How tall are you? Are you sure you are fighting at the fighting at the right weight class? What sport do you compete in? I don't think 1200 calories a day is healthy.

im 6-6'1 i normally use to walk around at 195 like i said and a decent sized welter weight but i gained a bit of fat and a good 8 pounds or so of muscle in my legs due to squats im trying to get my body back to being lean and lose some of this extra gained muscle in my legs. And im competing in mma.

Excision said:
I follow NUSI heads Gary Taubes and Peter Attia as well as the most scientifically sound voice in nutrition Robb Wolf.

Lol.

Last edited:
im 6-6'1 i normally use to walk around at 195 like i said and a decent sized welter weight but i gained a bit of fat and a good 8 pounds or so of muscle in my legs due to squats im trying to get my body back to being lean and lose some of this extra gained muscle in my legs. And im competing in mma.

You gained too much weight because you ate too much, not because of squats. Squats make you stronger, not bigger. Eating makes you bigger.

First of all, fuck your font. Second of all, paleo diet works because it removes junk food and dramatically lowers simple carb consumption. Not because it's some holy grail diet for wellness.

Thirdly I could give fuck all about what some dumbass said on another dumbass' podcast. Carb timing and all that shit, is just that, shit and you're spouting it. His science is laughed at nowadays and I don't think I know of any (natty) bbers or athletes who time carb consumption.

Calories in/calories out is exactly all diet boils down to, at least after you've calculated your macros. Things are different when you're trying to retain as much muscle mass as possible while getting to 5% bodyfat ie getting ready for a bodybuilding comp.

Please post here more often.

Well said.

You gained too much weight because you ate too much, not because of squats. Squats make you stronger, not bigger. Eating makes you bigger.

yeah I developed a much bigger appetite in the last year also im starting to fill out more since i turned 21 I didnt think it would be this hard to get back down I figured with tons of cardio and cutting back would do the trick within 6 weeks but kinda hit a plateau at 199-200 started from 212 cutting sorry for annoying you with my questions I just really needed some good advice I realize what im doing isnt the healthiest approach but I gotta make weight for this.

yeah I developed a much bigger appetite in the last year also im starting to fill out more since i turned 21 I didnt think it would be this hard to get back down I figured with tons of cardio and cutting back would do the trick within 6 weeks but kinda hit a plateau at 199-200 started from 212 cutting sorry for annoying you with my questions I just really needed some good advice I realize what im doing isnt the healthiest approach but I gotta make weight for this.

It's not a problem man, really. I just wish you would have come here before you started implementing your new plan so we could have helped you. Usually when people do their own thing they end up hitting a wall sooner. Your main problem is that you cut your calories too drastically too soon, and continued to eat that way for some time. Up them a little bit and keep training hard and you'll be in a good place to figure out how much muscle you actually need to lose. If you get down to 8% ish body fat and you still have 15lbs to go, then you know you'll have to lose some lean body mass, or move up a weight class. Sorry for being a dick, and most of it wasnt directed towards you. I just see these threads all the time. I have a bigger problem with people giving bad advice to people like you, which has happened a lot in this thread.

As for gaining weight, getting older definitely makes a difference. I didn't stop filling out until I was 20, so I can see how that would fluctuate one or two years for someone else. If you can't make it back down to 170 then a move up might be in order. Definitely keep squatting no matter what you do, though. Also, eat more carbs. You're an athlete!

Last edited:
if you are really intent on making this weight you need to focus on cutting water weight not trying to lose that much mass in that short of a time frame.

cut out salt, cut your carbs to 50g or under a day (good carbs only, not bullshit white processed nonsense), keep up your training and maintain a reasonable calorie deficit. not starving yourself like you are now.

there is a lot easier ways to make weight than starving yourself to such an extreme degree as you are now.

if you are really intent on making this weight you need to focus on cutting water weight not trying to lose that much mass in that short of a time frame.

cut out salt, cut your carbs to 50g or under a day (good carbs only, not bullshit white processed nonsense), keep up your training and maintain a reasonable calorie deficit. not starving yourself like you are now.

there is a lot easier ways to make weight than starving yourself to such an extreme degree as you are now.

He needs to at least get reasonably close to his weight class before cutting water. He's still just too heavy to make the cut successfully.

It's not a problem man, really. I just wish you would have come here before you started implementing your new plan so we could have helped you. Usually when people do their own thing they end up hitting a wall sooner. Your main problem is that you cut your calories too drastically too soon, and continued to eat that way for some time. Up them a little bit and keep training hard and you'll be in a good place to figure out how much muscle you actually need to lose. If you get down to 8% ish body fat and you still have 15lbs to go, then you know you'll have to lose some lean body mass, or move up a weight class. Sorry for being a dick, and most of it wasnt directed towards you. I just see these threads all the time. I have a bigger problem with people giving bad advice to people like you, which has happened a lot in this thread.

As for gaining weight, getting older definitely makes a difference. I didn't stop filling out until I was 20, so I can see how that would fluctuate one or two years for someone else. If you can't make it back down to 170 then a move up might be in order. Definitely keep squatting no matter what you do, though. Also, eat more carbs. You're an athlete!

I really appreciate the advice im sitting at around 10-12% right now hoping to get down to 8% then i should be fine I just got scared cause I stoped cutting and I have been busting my ass I didn't know if I should lower my calories or if I should have added i cut back on my carbs to just brocolli now im gonna go enjoy a nice big sweet potato lol thanks again.

He needs to at least get reasonably close to his weight class before cutting water. He's still just too heavy to make the cut successfully.

edit: i thought he had to get to 185, just saw the 171.

edit: i thought he had to get to 185, just saw the 171.

The most i have ever cut was 12 I felt really light headed but I was fine as soon as I got fluids and food back in my body. I dont wana go over 15 pounds of water that's why im aiming for 185 hopefully im around 199 right now thats why im trying to cut some muscle and body fat lol i would die trying to cut 29 pounds of water.

Back