Looking for Jiu Jitsu school in South Bay

Sandboxer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to these forums and would just like to say that I'm impressed with the vast quantity of information available on this site. That being said, please forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere (didn't find it through search option).

I Know that many of you who frequent these forums have a high level of experience and most likely know which places of instruction are good and which ones are best avoided. I am new to martial arts and I turn to you for help in perhaps suggesting a good place to start training in Jiu Jitsu in the south bay area. I live in San Jose, but anything within thirty minutes drive is doable for me. I train with weights at another facility so the school I seek to attend doesn't need to have any weight training equipment. If you think there are further steps I should take before jumping into this, please feel free to reply with your constructive criticisms! Thank you so much for your time in reading my post! Any hints or advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

-Brad

P.S. I am not just posting here because I am too lazy to search for myself, I'm just looking for help from inside the community that I wish to become a part of!

san jose = AKA

I don't know of any other schools in san jose other than aka

AKA (American Kickboxing Acacemy) is so well-known, even a dude like me in Denver knows about it.

I think it's right IN San Jose too, I could be wrong. The school is famous for fighters Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Mike Swick.

Unless any NoCal folks know of another place, I think this is the easy choice to make.

David Camarillo teaches at AKA. He is a highly regarded black belt.

Thanks for such quick responses! AKA sounds like it has a good reputation and the fact that it's local makes it a gem to me. I'll dig right in on looking them up! Thanks!

Thanks for such quick responses! AKA sounds like it has a good reputation and the fact that it's local makes it a gem to me. I'll dig right in on looking them up! Thanks!

Stop by their gym and check them out. Although I heard that the BJJ classes are extremely full and the prices are expensive.

Stop by their gym and check them out. Although I heard that the BJJ classes are extremely full and the prices are expensive.

Ya... I checked out the site and it's 150 bucks a month... plus an enrollment fee which is about the same price. That's a good chunk of change to dish out, so I will definitely go watch a session or so before I sign up. I work out at a gym that gets really crowded and I hate it... I hope it's not that full :(

Check out Tom Cissero BJJ. It's in Campbell where Bascom meets Union in the Sidekicks tkd gym. Its a great place to learn how to grapple.

ralph gracie mountain view. Great school, great instructor and classes are never crowded.

Nice! even more stuff to look into. I'll be checking them out and making some phone calls after my workout. Thanks for your responses!

Ralph Gracie Mountain View trains only in gi and is roughly the same price as AKA. I think its someting like $150 for 3 days a week last time I checked or $160 for unlimited. It should be noted that Ralph Gracie does not teach there, he has one of his black belts teach.

Don't forget the judo schools down there are national-caliber schools!

The only national calibur judo school is the San Jose State University team I believe. I don't think they let random people in. Swains kids train at the San Jose Buddhist temple judo club but Swain does not teach there.

Back