Looking for a good (inexpensive) rash guard to wear under gi

farmboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are there any good brands that aren't going to break the bank? Like, less than $30, as I'd like to get 2 so I can switch them out.

yeah, the xfgear ones seem to have good feedback and are cheaper than other brands i'd recommend. but thats because i havent had a chance to review them.

~Foz

XFGear, they have the best ones and the standards are only $30! Best rashies in the business and for less than you would expect. XFGear.com

UnderArmor are dirt cheap.. also surfing rash guards are even cheaper.. from Billabong and quicksilver.. You wont be as "COOL" cuz it isnt a fight company. But they work just as good.

I wear Under Armour ones. I have like 4 and they all work fine for me.

i wouldn't call underarmour dirt cheap
i have a yellow and black atama that has turned greenish from washing that i get made fun of for and it cost 40 bucks or something like that.
i have two short sleeve ones from wal mart that cost like 10 bucks each and i wear them 90% of the time. i only wear the atama if those are dirty.
this is for no gi though, not under a gi.

Just wondering, why do others choose to wear rash guards under their gi?

xfgear - orginal nogi (Chris Brennan's Nogi), they have good and affordable rashguards.

I really like SSFgear.com's rashguards, especially for under the gi. They have a great collar that prevents gi burn.

Nogi is pretty good as well.

For under $30 we have Nogi, XFgear, Underhook and Nunya's new RG.

Scorcho thanks, I kinda like that RG too ;)

www.SSFgear.com

The Silencer said:
Just wondering, why do others choose to wear rash guards under their gi?
Do you mean as opposed to nothing? I just started grappling and my gi tears up my chest. Plus, the sweat gets the gi all sticky and gross. There is a thread in the grappling forum about this subject, and one guy talked about grappling somebody without anything on underneath his gi. This other guy was big and heavy and went to smother the poor kid. Needless to say, this kid ended up with a sweaty, hairy man boob in his face.

If you are only going to wear it under a gi, I suggest some type of moisture wicking/meshy under armour type stuff. A thick rash guard will get extremely hot under your gi. I use an NFL Gear compression under my gi, the entire back is mesh, its extremely cool & comfortable.

IMHO, Athletic Works makes some dirt cheap compression shirts. I found em for $9 at Wal-Mart. I could care less if they rip, since they are so cheap. I got like 4 of them.

if you just want something to wear under your gi and don't care if it's gonna hold up then you can't go wrong with a $10 RG from Wal-Mart. Champion, Starter and a few others make decent ones for really cheap.

UltimaMMA said:
IMHO, Athletic Works makes some dirt cheap compression shirts. I found em for $9 at Wal-Mart. I could care less if they rip, since they are so cheap. I got like 4 of them.

I also wear these RG from walmart and they work fine, they seem to be almost the same as the Underamour i have. There just not as cool looking as my atama RG.

I thought my run of the mill RGs were fine for under the gi and grappling, until I got my SSF gear and NOGI RGs. They are lightyears better. The material is thinner and much more comfortable and durable. I would really recommend spending the extra $10 to get a good RG instead of the first crappy one you can find at Walmart.

wal-mart I think they sell russel athletics ones that work fine.
You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the help. I already have two UA compression shirts. I guess maybe I'll just stick with these until they crap out. At some point I hope to take BJJ, as I'm taking judo now. Maybe when that day comes I'll splurge for some higher quality rash guards. After all, who am I trying to impress, right?

Back