Look This New Video Inspired by SUB101 and Ari Bolden

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
the title says it all. Please critique this technique and let me know what you think.

(EDITED TO ADD THE DESCRIPTION FROM YOUTUBE)
This is my version of the Pentagram submission both off of the Back and from the Triple Threat position.

Keep a couple things in mind, this is not really an instructional video, but more of a peak into my thoughts. I have only repped this move out 200-300 times so it is not ready to be showcased on any DVD or as gospel.

I have however had a good bit of success with this submission on people around my size and maybe slightly smaller. People that are a lot smaller than me can create problems but you still have the armbar option.

The more that I play with this move the more that I like the setup from Triple Threat than the set up from the Back. I feel that it has a lot of promise from the triple threat position and it is something that I will be working a lot more, primarily in no gi (when the bow and arrow choke is not an option).

Also as a side note this was filmed up stairs at Gordo BJJ because the kids class was taking place downstairs (thus being able to hear screaming kids) and the lighting was not perfect.

Again, please take this as a view into my personal thoughts and not as much as an instructional.

Also, there is a crushing sensation that makes you want to submit, not necessarily a choke. If you tap to this and you dont immediately think "I never want this to happen to me again" you're probably not having it done correctly. Communicate with your partner and let him know what type of pressure you're feeling and if it's truely something you would tap to.

Last edited:
his bio on his site reads like he wrote every word in that its absolute garbage. no one cares about your validating every single year of your training. just put who you train under and their lineage and maybe list some professional achievements.

and a black belt in mma? lolz. yeah i hear mma has those already, we call them title belts. i don't even understand ..... never mind.

his bio on his site reads like he wrote every word in that its absolute garbage. no one cares about your validating every single year of your training. just put who you train under and their lineage and maybe list some professional achievements.

and a black belt in mma? lolz. yeah i hear mma has those already, we call them title belts. i don't even understand ..... never mind.

You are very perceptive, and I did indeed write every word of that bio.

I like the video, certainly more than Ari's. If you plan on doing another draft of the video, I'd like to see what's going on when you lean to your left to finish. You keep going to that side, and the cameraman doesn't follow. That said, good video. I liked the s-mount setup more than when just having the back, and I'll give the choke a shot later.

Seriously?

thanks alot for this. i learned something new today. ima try it on my girlfriend when i get home

Whats wrong with giving details about your training? People asked him a million times because of his Brazil thread. People love hearing about other people's path along the long journey, I know I do anyways.

Whats wrong with giving details about your training? People asked him a million times because of his Brazil thread. People love hearing about other people's path along the long journey, I know I do anyways.

Agreed. Gerbil, don't change a thing.

That bio is really great man so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I wish all instructors put something like that up on their sites.

Wow...that was nice.

I would back off if I were you. The Gerbil has allot of credibility on this forum and you sir have none.

yep, that's me. You can read my bio if you would like or you can ask me about it directly.

Oh I am well aware of your credentials and how much you have contributed to this forum. I was questioning the asshole move of the guy who tried to slam you because of your bio on your site.

pwnt.

I think someone here learned a lesson that was completely unrelated to this technique.

which, by the way, seems very plausible and I look forward to giving it a shot.

Ive never tried this sub but I will test it out....if I ever take someones back lol

The only part of the video that I DISAGREED with was the analogy of pinching your knees together "like when you are finishing the triangle" I dont think that is how you should be finishing the triangle. But I think the point got across regardless, everyone knows what u meant anyway.

Ive never tried this sub but I will test it out....if I ever take someones back lol

The only part of the video that I DISAGREED with was the analogy of pinching your knees together "like when you are finishing the triangle" I dont think that is how you should be finishing the triangle. But I think the point got across regardless, everyone knows what u meant anyway.

Getting the angle, pinching the knees, lifting the hips, and finally pulling the head are exactly how you finish a triangle. You're closing the space, pinching the knees does exactly that.

Getting the angle, pinching the knees, lifting the hips, and finally pulling the head are exactly how you finish a triangle. You're closing the space, pinching the knees does exactly that.

He's probably referring to the Ryan Hall "stomp and curl" finish as the alternative. Same effect, different/bigger muscles.

thanks for commenting guys, I appreciate the support and the critique on the video.

Honestly the real reason that I made this thread was to prove about the unrealistic hate on Ari, sometimes it transcends logic. I have absolutely no connection with Ari and I would consider my self a "legit" instructor with "legit" lineage. But look at how funny this thread got in less than 10 minutes. I made a post that said "submission 101" and "Ari" in it and all of a sudden my credibility is being called into question. It really makes me chuckle.

As far as the black belt in "MMA", you can see that in my bio I even put "MMA" in quotation marks because when our JKD school made this transition I was actually against keeping the belts but, as many of you can imagine, people are attached to belts. I even suggested that we change the name to something other than Mixed Martial Arts, but unfortunately I got outvoted.

If you think about the timeline I started training with that school in 1996, so there really wasn't any BJJ schools on the east coast, at least not anywhere near where I was training and the MMA thing still had not become "cool" or mainstream. What we did, was in fact practice MMA. We boxed, wrestled and did a lot of ground and pound with those old shitty "foam dip" gloves, you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that they use in TMA tournaments.

I would leave the whole "MMA" black belt thing out of my bio except for a couple of very important realizations.
1. I teach for a living and a large part of the population understands the term "black belt" and little else. When comparing me to someone that has a JJJ, TKD, JKD, or other black belt it is hard for the person to fathom why they would want to train with me over the other person when they are a black belt and I am not.
2. My MMA training led to me being an alternate on the WKA US kickboxing team in 2004, how could I write that accomplishment without talking about the training that led to that fight?
3. I put a lot of training in at that school, usually 5 or more days a week for 4 hours at a time and I really dont know where I should draw the line and say that we were no longer doing JKD (JKD concepts by the way) because I actually hold no rank in JKD, nor am I certified under anyone that is a JKD instructor.

Without leaving big holes in my training history I really dont see a reasonable way to leave it out, or write around it and I would rather include more information than I need, even if it requires some explanation.

thanks for commenting guys, I appreciate the support and the critique on the video.

Honestly the real reason that I made this thread was to prove about the unrealistic hate on Ari, sometimes it transcends logic. I have absolutely no connection with Ari and I would consider my self a "legit" instructor with "legit" lineage. But look at how funny this thread got in less than 10 minutes. I made a post that said "submission 101" and "Ari" in it and all of a sudden my credibility is being called into question. It really makes me chuckle.

As far as the black belt in "MMA", you can see that in my bio I even put "MMA" in quotation marks because when our JKD school made this transition I was actually against keeping the belts but, as many of you can imagine, people are attached to belts. I even suggested that we change the name to something other than Mixed Martial Arts, but unfortunately I got outvoted.

If you think about the timeline I started training with that school in 1996, so there really wasn't any BJJ schools on the east coast, at least not anywhere near where I was training and the MMA thing still had not become "cool" or mainstream. What we did, was in fact practice MMA. We boxed, wrestled and did a lot of ground and pound with those old shitty "foam dip" gloves, you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that they use in TMA tournaments.

I would leave the whole "MMA" black belt thing out of my bio except for a couple of very important realizations.
1. I teach for a living and a large part of the population understands the term "black belt" and little else. When comparing me to someone that has a JJJ, TKD, JKD, or other black belt it is hard for the person to fathom why they would want to train with me over the other person when they are a black belt and I am not.
2. My MMA training led to me being an alternate on the WKA US kickboxing team in 2004, how could I write that accomplishment without talking about the training that led to that fight?
3. I put a lot of training in at that school, usually 5 or more days a week for 4 hours at a time and I really dont know where I should draw the line and say that we were no longer doing JKD (JKD concepts by the way) because I actually hold no rank in JKD, nor am I certified under anyone that is a JKD instructor.

Without leaving big holes in my training history I really dont see a reasonable way to leave it out, or write around it and I would rather include more information than I need, even if it requires some explanation.

Always knew you were fishy. :mad:

No, but seriously any sherdogger here should have seen what you were doing with the thread title a mile away. I think pretty much all the hype behind the thread revolves around one guys comments.

Good video though. You seriously took a move that is absolutely rediculous and me want to approach a guy and say "hey, can I try something real quick?"

You deserve a golf clap. Have you thought about just taking all of Ari's youtube clips and making alternative instructionals with variations? When I say variation, I mean non-suckyness. I think it would be a great project, seriously. You ever e-conversed with Sensei Ari?

Back