Lombard vs. Okami set for UFC Japan

I'm torn with this.

On the one hand I want to see Yushin 'The Blanket' Okami get knocked out cold.

But on the other hand, if Lombard were to win, Sherdog would be unbearable with all the 'Lombard is the #1 contender' and 'Lombard would beat Silva' rubbish and hype that would follow.

It's a toughie...

Never in my life will I ever be excited for an Okami fight....but this one, may prove me wrong. If Lombard's judo/raw power keeps it standing, Okami's going to sleep. But Okami is a smart, smart fighter, he will come in ready to grind something out.

I want Thunder to win this!

but lombard will prob destroy him with a R1/2 (T)KO

You are an idiot.

Idiot?

Your sig says 'Say no to Fitching' yet you approve of Okami's style?

Interesting.

Okami has the nickname 'Thunder' but chooses to lay on top of people and hold them there for the entire fight if he can.

To say Okami is dull to watch is an understatement - when was the last time Okami put on a decent and exciting performance?

Excluding the epic performance against Buddy Roberts at UFC 150 of course...

Good fight for Hector.

Okami's good in the clinch, but that's Lombard's game. It'll likely stay on the feet as long as Hector wants to.

Okami has a pretty good jab, uses mainly straight punches. He doesn't pose a threat to Hector on the feet, but Hector's power will be too much for him - he's been lately hurt more than before, too.

Okami's usually doing a good job at avoiding damage by moving backwards from punches, but that's because every striker fears his top game, which is hard to escape. Hector won't, but will be a more violent version of Comeback Boetsch.

Hector by early KO or decision.

I'm a really big fan of both these guys but I'll be pulling for Lombard because I doubt we'll see Okami get another shot at Anderson for a while, or at least it'll take time for anyone to take Okami as a serious contender again even with an impressive victory. Okami-Anderson 3 just doesn't have the same appeal as Anderson-Lombard and the more contenders coming up the better. With the Strikeforce guys coming in too middleweight is about to become a seriously stacked division.

Finally,Okami will get put down.Lombard has ridiculous base.Okami's wall and stall isn't going to work.I do NOT think he will get Lombard down.

Great fight indeed. Will show us where Lombard is really at.
War Okami!

People seem to forget how good Okami's stand-up is when that is the gameplan. Okami's striking against Munoz and Marquardt was very good. Watch for Okami's jab to out-point Lombard, keeping him frustrated the entire bout.

Epic fight for both, and I like it cos after what happen with there losses it puts them in that space where they can improve on it.

Just to be clear, i am not rooting against Okami. I felt terrible for him in the Boetsch fight. He was winning the fight but got caught in the end. I hope Okami can pull this off in front of his countrymen, but i see this being a terrible matchup for him. I had the same feeling about Palhares vs. Lombard. Hopefully Okami proves me wrong and pulls it out. The only way he can beat Lombard is to duplicate his performance against Belcher.

Thing is Hector is not the easiest guy to take down, and he hits like a truck as well.

One other way for Okami to win is if Hector goes into "hesitant" mode, like he did in the Boetsch fight. Okami has shown effective striking in the past (e.g., Marquardt fight). If Hector isn't aggressive enough, Okami has the reach and footwork to outpoint him on the feet, even if he can't take him down.

Having said that, the post-Anderson Okami seems to be a different fighter, as others have mentioned. Even Buddy Rich was outstriking him in their brief exchanges. He gets rocked easily and just doesn't look comfortable on his feet. At this point, he matches up best against strikers with mediocre grappling. I'm afraid he's going to end up on the wrong end of a KO.

Either way, it will be an interesting fight and may answer some questions about both Okami and Lombard.

Last edited:
this is a bad matchup for lombard just saying. and especially after what happened to okami last time he fought in japan....... beating tim boetcsh ass for two rounds than got stopped via strikes in the 3rd, i would say okami is almost a lock to beat lombard in japan.

This card is one of the best UFC cards I have ever seen :icon_chee

This is a great free card! I'm excited about it.

Back