Lombard from $300k to $53k/$53k

Not surprised by the pay cut. Came in as a world beater and didn't perform as such. A decent fighter but not a real contender IMO and not all that exciting.

WTF is right. Palhares, Shields, and Okami are all top guys.

Than WHY did the UFC cut them?

Dont be DUMB. I will gladly present you with FACTS!

Here you go.

Palhares last 6 UFC fights he was 3 - 3 and was FINISHED in each of his last 3 UFC loses! FINISHED by Marquart, Belcher & Lombard. OK, you LOST here, just admit it!

Okami is exactly the same record in his past 6 UFC fights and again finished in ALL THREE of his last UFC loses. KO'd by Boetch, Souza & The Spyder. At least all of Okami's finishes were against fighters that have NOT been cut by the UFC. With that said, HE WAS CUT by the UFC for not being top fighter material.

Shields lost 3 of his last 7 UFC fights, and was tested positive in one erning a NC. KO'd by Ellenberger? Of his 3 UFC wins in his past 7 UFC fights he won all by decision, and two of the three decisions were split! He MAY have remained in the UFC with this record had he not failed that drug test. :redface:

Just please stop, you have been presented with facts youngster!

Beyond stupid analysis. GSP hadn't finished a fight in 4 years and he got paid tons of money. Lombard whipped Jake and Jake beat GSP in the final two rounds. Forget Lombard as a MW, he's not a MW anymore, and he got RIPPED OFF against Boetsch. Okami was a big MW also with Judo experience so stylistically it was a tough matchup. Lombard simply isn't popular which is why he's taking a big cut.
He's gonna wreck Rory if they fight.

I'm not convinced he will even land a significant blow to be honest and Lombard hasn't shown much in the way of fighting IQ in regards to midfight adjustments. Can he win that fight with his grappling?

The guy hardly gets good matchups to display any entertaining value. Palhares was good tho.

Historically, UFC scale is less than competitors initially...

Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine - $150,000
Robbie Lawler at UFC 157 - $105,000 (includes win bonus of $10,000)

But not always...

Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce - Fedor vs Werdum - $100,000 (no win bonus)
Fabricio Werdum at UFC 143 - $100,000 (no win bonus)

... UFC tells fighters it does not need to inflate a salary as much as a rival organization.

I got the impression it was drop to 170 + paycut or be cut. Maybe he was presented with data showing he's not a needle mover.

Why is there so much hype on this guy. Freaking burkman gave this guy all kinds of trouble. He is the most flatfooted fighter, i've ever seen. Any of the top guys would absolutely tool him. rory, lawler, hendrix, would all murder him. Rather easily..

i agree. people like him because he looks ripped.

against burkman he looked very mediocre, and burkman was a 7:1 underdog.

lombard is nothing special.

Than WHY did the UFC cut them?

Dont be DUMB. I will gladly present you with FACTS!

Here you go.

Palhares last 6 UFC fights he was 3 - 3 and was FINISHED in each of his last 3 UFC loses! FINISHED by Marquart, Belcher & Lombard. OK, you LOST here, just admit it!

Okami is exactly the same record in his past 6 UFC fights and again finished in ALL THREE of his last UFC loses. KO'd by Boetch, Souza & The Spyder. At least all of Okami's finishes were against fighters that have NOT been cut by the UFC. With that said, HE WAS CUT by the UFC for not being top fighter material.

Shields lost 3 of his last 7 UFC fights, and was tested positive in one erning a NC. KO'd by Ellenberger? Of his 3 UFC wins in his past 7 UFC fights he won all by decision, and two of the three decisions were split! He MAY have remained in the UFC with this record had he not failed that drug test. :redface:

Just please stop, you have been presented with facts youngster!

1. In his last 6 UFC fights Palhares was 4-2, not 3-3. Palhares was cut because he has a nasty habit of holding on to dangerous subs too long not because he was a poor fighter.

2. Shields was the sixth ranked WW at the time Lombard beat him. Shields was cut because the UFC has a policy of cutting grapplers who they feel are boring not because he is a poor fighter.

3. I believe Okami was ranked third at MW when he fought Lombard. Okami was cut because the UFC has a policy of cutting control style grapplers not because he was a poor fighter.

4. I am not a youngster, and your presentation of the facts was sloppy and unpersuasive. You are trying to maintain the position that Lombard has not faced top fighters, when the fighters he faced were in fact top ranked.

Why is there so much hype on this guy. Freaking burkman gave this guy all kinds of trouble. He is the most flatfooted fighter, i've ever seen. Any of the top guys would absolutely tool him. rory, lawler, hendrix, would all murder him. Rather easily..

Yeah, that's why none of them want to fight him. Lombard is a monster at WW. From what I saw, Burkman did more running than fighting. Its kind of hard to fight when your opponent is going away from the entire time. He pulled a Condit.

Lombard beats everyone ranked above him. The only one that I think will give him any problems will be Rory.

He was a scary motherfucker in Bellator:

1. In his last 6 UFC fights Palhares was 4-2, not 3-3. Palhares was cut because he has a nasty habit of holding on to dangerous subs too long not because he was a poor fighter.

2. Shields was the sixth ranked WW at the time Lombard beat him. Shields was cut because the UFC has a policy of cutting grapplers who they feel are boring not because he is a poor fighter.

3. I believe Okami was ranked third at MW when he fought Lombard. Okami was cut because the UFC has a policy of cutting control style grapplers not because he was a poor fighter.

4. I am not a youngster, and your presentation of the facts was sloppy and unpersuasive. You are trying to maintain the position that Lombard has not faced top fighters, when the fighters he faced were in fact top ranked.

I actually think, outside of Palhares, the cuts were do to expensive salaries (relatively speaking) with no clear path to title contention within the next 12 months... dangerous fighters clogging up the higher ranks of the division eliminating potential new challengers.

And despite the former poster's abrasiveness, Shields and Okami weren't performing at historical levels (and Shields did fail a test)...

But my personal opinion is the UFC cut those guys because they were good, and being good can be a bad thing, when you are trying to build new challengers... Shields did submit Lawler after all.

You are correct on Palhares. He is 4 - 3 in his last 7 UFC fights and not 3 - 3 in his last 6 as I stated. Thank you for the factual correction. Total admission that I had the record incorrect.

I will not dispute Okami & Shields, we will just have to agrre that we disagree.

I do want to honestly ask you if you think that Palhares would have been cut from holding submissions against Drwal and Pierce too long had he NOT tested positive and been suspended for 9 months due to elevated testosterone levels in his fight against Lombard in his next to last UFC fight?

I rest my case.

i agree. people like him because he looks ripped.

against burkman he looked very mediocre, and burkman was a 7:1 underdog.

lombard is nothing special.

Come on, he was 'snot 'looking ripped' he was smashing opposition outside the UFC in crazy manner, that's why why got hyped.

Anyway, Burkman fight pretty much confirmed that he's going to have huge trouble against anyone who can move at least a bit intelligently.

Doesn't really even have to be very good fighter, see Boetsch or Burkman.

He's absolute beast in many ways, but just horribly static, immobile and un-agile.

Don't underestimate Burkman just because he wasn't in the UFC the past couple of years. He's as legit as any of his last opponents.

He choked out Fitch in under a round. Fitch was known for his superb sub defense.

It was Fitch's first fight in the promotion and he got the WSOF jitters.

I will not dispute Okami & Shields, we will just have to agrre that we disagree.
Fair enough.

I do want to honestly ask you if you think that Palhares would have been cut from holding submissions against Drwal and Pierce too long had he NOT tested positive and been suspended for 9 months due to elevated testosterone levels in his fight against Lombard in his next to last UFC fight?

I believe the UFC cited that failed test in the statement they issued when they cut him, so it factored into their decision to cut him. Personally, I think he would have been gone anyway, but that is conjecture.

The thing that gets me the most is this, Fitch fucking FLOORED Burkman in their first fight early in the first.

Lombard is like a tank. slow but explosive. it feels like he's pacing himself every second of the fight or else he'll gas lol

He was a scary motherfucker in Bellator:

Im sure he would also be a scary motherfucker fighting fat guys behind your local Walmart. But this is not your local Walmart and this is not Bellator. This is the UFC.

Back