Living worried and the advantages of being raised in an unstable country

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Disclaimer: RANT

The trigger for this mourning thought was the coronavirus paranoia. I don't want to take the discussion in that way because there are already enough threads of that.

I was born in 1987, Buenos Aires, Argentina and lived my whole life there. During that time I have experienced pretty rough crisis in late 90s that ended on december 01' with the government escaping in a helicopter and a million of people on the streets. Most of our parents were unemployed (mine was for almost 2 years) and the economy was crashed badly.
During that time crime was super high and violent. At 13 years old I my father being pointed with 3 guns in the door of my house for his watch... a fucking watch.
I was 1 block away from the place a known thief neighbor (guy was 17 or so) shot a guy dead in the soccer club I used to play with my friends.
Then it came the devaluation, inflation, a year in which I almost didn't went to school because teachers were on a (justified) strike.
Another crisis, a lot of people without work, more inflation, more unstability, went from living really good to barely making ends meets, to be good again, etc.
I have seen the Apocalypse being predicted a lot of times in my 32 years. There is always something that will ruin our lifes forever, and we are still here.

Sometimes when I hang out with my friends we turn the grill on and cook an asado (argentinian barbecue, kind of expensive and incredibly good), other times we are short of money and we order a few pizzas.. or one time we were so broke that we made homemade spaghettis (was fun).
Same thing with my family. Sometimes we have christmas with presents, sometimes we don't.
But we always had a great time regardless.

Some people even here are worried about the coronavirus (with zero cases here). I can't remember the amount of times I was myself in situations where I basically flipped the coin and came out, well.. alive? That does not worries me at all, I can't do anything right now.

I was talking with my french teacher (36 years old, super cool girl) who arrived here about a year ago and is making the papers to stay definetly here. When she was at the embassy they asked her "you wanna stay... are you out of your mind?".
What she (and at least a dozen of other foreigns I've met here) tells me is that despite living in a terrible economy and unstability, some folks here are always chill and you always have a good time and a good laugh.

So I was thinking if living in an enviroment like this can be a blessing in disguise if you learn the lesson.
Sometimes you don't give two sh**ts when something goes wrong because you overcome so many wrong things on a daily basis. When something actually works well.. that is when you are surprised.

You just have to learn to live by the day and be happy that way. And it's not that bad.

If you made it here you won yourself a Sofia Zamolo pic:

TLDR 1:
In a 3rd world economy you get used to so many shit that nothing scares or worries you. Come at me bro. At the end of the day I'm still alive and kicking.

TLDR 2:
this-is-fine.0.jpg

Have a nice week sherbros.

Yeah i noticed this.
Everything is super relative in that regard. I live in an I-land, but people worry about all sorts of stupid and irrelevant shit. Recently I visited Sri Lanka, where people are quite poor but everyone seemed quite chilled, smiling and relaxed. Notice that shit a lot. I guess it takes more to phase these people like these.

Good on ya!

You can live in a place in the world with an unstable economy and as long as you have enough to live comfortably you don't have to worry as much as the single mother who barely has enough to feed her children.

Argentina also has people that are doing pretty good, so meanwhile some people may be really poor others are doing extremely well and living fine.

This happens in any part of the world, even here in Miami.

I'm not sure what to say exactly but I'm feeling the intent of this post. Cheers bud, thanks for posting.

Yeah that's facts

Only if you survive tho
Survive to what? We are all going to die at some point.

Yeah i noticed this.
Everything is super relative in that regard. I live in an I-land, but people worry about all sorts of stupid and irrelevant shit. Recently I visited Sri Lanka, where people are quite poor but everyone seemed quite chilled, smiling and relaxed. Notice that shit a lot. I guess it takes more to phase these people like these.

Good on ya!
A friend of mine did a 4 month travel and was in Asia. Told me exactly that, people poor as hell but who are not that bothered and seem pretty happy.

You can live in a place in the world with an unstable economy and as long as you have enough to live comfortably you don't have to worry as much as the single mother who barely has enough to feed her children.

Argentina also has people that are doing pretty good, so meanwhile some people may be really poor others are doing extremely well and living fine.

This happens in any part of the world, even here in Miami.
Agree. I need a place to sleep well (can be rented), not much food, some clothes and a few bucks to spend on coffee and a club/gym membership.

BTW. Regarding Argentina, the only people doing well here are people with a lot of money. Working class (majority) is struggling to improve their position. You can't even save money here because our inflation&devaluation is around 50% and you can't buy more than 200 USD a month (with a 30% non refundable tax).

I'm not sure what to say exactly but I'm feeling the intent of this post. Cheers bud, thanks for posting.
Cheers! And merry christmas.

True words. However, you don't have to live in a third world country to get this perspective. You could grow up in the bottom 1% percent of the USA and come out with the same perspective, if you succeed at clawing your way out at least.

This thread seems like mental gymnastics to cope with living in a shithole. You may be stress free at the moment but how about when (if) you have to explain to your terrified daughter why there is no food and it's not safe to play outside.

Disclaimer: RANT

The trigger for this mourning thought was the coronavirus paranoia. I don't want to take the discussion in that way because there are already enough threads of that.

I was born in 1987, Buenos Aires, Argentina and lived my whole life there. During that time I have experienced pretty rough crisis in late 90s that ended on december 01' with the government escaping in a helicopter and a million of people on the streets. Most of our parents were unemployed (mine was for almost 2 years) and the economy was crashed badly.
During that time crime was super high and violent. At 13 years old I my father being pointed with 3 guns in the door of my house for his watch... a fucking watch.
I was 1 block away from the place a known thief neighbor (guy was 17 or so) shot a guy dead in the soccer club I used to play with my friends.
Then it came the devaluation, inflation, a year in which I almost didn't went to school because teachers were on a (justified) strike.
Another crisis, a lot of people without work, more inflation, more unstability, went from living really good to barely making ends meets, to be good again, etc.
I have seen the Apocalypse being predicted a lot of times in my 32 years. There is always something that will ruin our lifes forever, and we are still here.

Sometimes when I hang out with my friends we turn the grill on and cook an asado (argentinian barbecue, kind of expensive and incredibly good), other times we are short of money and we order a few pizzas.. or one time we were so broke that we made homemade spaghettis (was fun).
Same thing with my family. Sometimes we have christmas with presents, sometimes we don't.
But we always had a great time regardless.

Some people even here are worried about the coronavirus (with zero cases here). I can't remember the amount of times I was myself in situations where I basically flipped the coin and came out, well.. alive? That does not worries me at all, I can't do anything right now.

I was talking with my french teacher (36 years old, super cool girl) who arrived here about a year ago and is making the papers to stay definetly here. When she was at the embassy they asked her "you wanna stay... are you out of your mind?".
What she (and at least a dozen of other foreigns I've met here) tells me is that despite living in a terrible economy and unstability, some folks here are always chill and you always have a good time and a good laugh.

So I was thinking if living in an enviroment like this can be a blessing in disguise if you learn the lesson.
Sometimes you don't give two sh**ts when something goes wrong because you overcome so many wrong things on a daily basis. When something actually works well.. that is when you are surprised.

You just have to learn to live by the day and be happy that way. And it's not that bad.

If you made it here you won yourself a Sofia Zamolo pic:

TLDR 1:
In a 3rd world economy you get used to so many shit that nothing scares or worries you. Come at me bro. At the end of the day I'm still alive and kicking.

TLDR 2:
this-is-fine.0.jpg

Have a nice week sherbros.

And why do you assume that we have any lesson to learn from your shithole?

Just kidding - it is a good thread and a good topic. Kind of reminds me a bit of Greece. When I visited there people we rather poor but certainly happier than most people in the West. They were living a simple life, spending time with family and friends outside on terrasses, just taking their broken car to go to the port for a swim, etc. It certainly helps that they are surrounded by such beauty, great climate and a very old culture. Just enjoying the simple things in life and I am certain that these people are happier on average than the much richer Murrcans with all their divorces, consumerism and pain killers.

This thread seems like mental gymnastics to cope with living in a shithole. You may be stress free at the moment but how about when (if) you have to explain to your terrified daughter why there is no food and it's not safe to play outside.
He'll be better prepared than most of us in America who havent faced a day of adversity in our lives.

True words. However, you don't have to live in a third world country to get this perspective. You could grow up in the bottom 1% percent of the USA and come out with the same perspective, if you succeed at clawing your way out at least.
100% agree. Everything is relative and countries are not black or white. Pretty sure I would be way over the 1% in USA.
Same way I say you don't need a lot of things to be happy, I haven't experienced anything near the world has to offer.

That would suck. No food? I had always had food and I think that is a basic need.
Safety is relative. Are we talking about hood rats stealing kids bikes (as it happened where I grew up) or guerrillas stealing kids from their parents?

And why do you assume that we have any lesson to learn from your shithole?

Just kidding - it is a good thread and a good topic. Kind of reminds me a bit of Greece. When I visited there people we rather poor but certainly happier than most people in the West. They were living a simple life, spending time with family and friends outside on terrasses, just taking their broken car to go to the port for a swim, etc. It certainly helps that they are surrounded by such beauty, great climate and a very old culture. Just enjoying the simple things in life and I am certain that these people are happier on average than the much richer Murrcans with all their divorces, consumerism and pain killers.
Good point about the nature.
A friend of mine grew up near the beach in Uruguay and moved to Buenos Aires (to a not very nice area) to study at 18. He told me it was super though at the beggining. He missed the beach, the sand, etc.

at least you rightfully consider Argentina 3rd world

Costa Rica, is arguably the only non 3rd world country south of the US in the Americas

on a related note, I've never seen anybody complain SO LITTLE as my time spent around Afghan and Somali natives in their home country

When you embrace the suck 24/7/365...….first world problems are nonexistent

Costa Rica, is arguably the only non 3rd world country south of the US in the Americas

on a related note, I've never seen anybody complain SO LITTLE as my time spent around Afghan and Somali natives in their home country

Costa Rica in the area around the Panamanian border is a third world shithole.

I would say that Argentina economy is the worst part. Culturally and even infrastructure we are on par with the big cities in the world (City of Buenos Aires is awesome).

3rd world is a pretty ambiguous expression. It's pretty imprecise to divide the world in 1st world and 3rd world as if US is tha same as UK or Argentina is the same as Cambodia.
BTW where the hell is the 2nd?

Back