• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Living in Vietnam: AMA

Has anyone here traveled to Laos recently? A friend is taking a job in the capital and invited me to visit and I am wondering what it's like. Also how they look at and treat Americans. Thanks to us, Laos is the most heavily bombed country in the world and Laotians are still dying from unexploded ordinances.

Sorry for getting dark but I'm wondering if y'all got any experience in Laos.
I've been to Laos last year. I doubt people will give you extra problems because you're American. I personally love Laos, but the capital is a dump. What out for mosquitos too.

I've been to Laos last year. I doubt people will give you extra problems because you're American. I personally love Laos, but the capital is a dump. What out for mosquitos too.

Okay and thank you. I hear there are lots of old ruins like Sukhothai which I would love so I'm considering it. My friend is having a hard time finding a place to rent and the cost in the capital is really high which surprised me.

Okay and thank you. I hear there are lots of old ruins like Sukhothai which I would love so I'm considering it. My friend is having a hard time finding a place to rent and the cost in the capital is really high which surprised me.
Sukhothai is in Thailand. Laos doesn't have much in the way or ruins but it has a lot of nature. Some really gorgeous places.

How do you feel about scooter life?
I enjoy it. I've been driving around bikes in SEA for a while so I'm quite used to it.

Yeah, loved Laos but incredibly humid and lots and lots of bugs. Beautiful chilled place though - I didn't hate Vientiane either, thought it was just meh.

Because it is well documented a lot of creepy middle-age westerners move out there for things that are not mentioned in what you posted.

i had a co-worker way back when, who would always take a month off vacation trip to asia during the summer. it was well known within the office that he'd go have sex with hookers and more than likely minors. and surprise-surprise, after his retirement, he moved to thailand lol.

I forgot to mention, people here load more stuff on their mopeds than I’d feel comfortable loading in a car. Sights like this are really not that uncommon:

1719563548669.jpeg

Last edited:
If you get any cool pictures of any wildlife, please feel free to post in my zookeeper animal thread. I’d love to see them

If you get any cool pictures of any wildlife, please feel free to post in my zookeeper animal thread. I’d love to see them

I'll try. There's a species of monkey here called red-shanked doucs, which I'm sure you know about. I've been going up the mountain regularly to see them but I haven't been successful yet. My friend was able to see them once though so I hope I get to see them some day before I leave.

I haven't seen much in the way of interesting animals specifically in Vietnam, although I've seen some cool things in Thailand. But to be fair, perhaps the animals I've gotten used to might be still cool to people in other parts of the world. Geckos and macaques are no longer new to me so I don't bother taking pictures. There are some cool species of bird flying around but I'm never able to capture them on my phone camera. Saw a little keelback last week in the jungle but it disappeared by the time I got my phone out.

Back